Notices

August Sobriety 2009 Part 11

Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hello all...

Well, my luggage just decided to waltz back in from vacation...selfish luggage, spent some time extra in Aruba.

I can truly say, I wasn't tempted to drink at all on vacation. I was truly able to relax, and did just that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bdiddy...tell us about the dessert your wife has made for you, it sounds wonderful! What a great reason to celebrate, one year sober!!!! So, proud of you, and where you are on your journey!!

Zebra, I have to admit, AA has made the difference in my recovery this time around. I am so thankful to have found this program.

And, it was TJ's description of her meeting that helped me make up my mind to try it.

So, I tried it...and I liked it!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Birthday Boy...where are you?????

:day1
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

haha, I am here. Thanks everyone. I was out of town for work all day and just got back to the office. Getting ready to go out to eat in a little bit with my wife, daughter, and parents. Having a little celebration.....sober style.

I will tell you all more about the dessert tomorrow after I have eaten some. Thanks again everyone. I love you all.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

The dessert was awesome! Crushed oreo for the crust, then a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite) then fudge, then topped with more crushed oreo. YUMMMMM!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Meow

Congrats Brent! Too bad you can't share some of that desert through cyber space. lol
Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

The thought of drinking entered my head last night, it scared me how quick and powerful the thought was (cunning, baffling and powerful pretty much describes it, whoever put those 3 words together knew what they were talking about). I was feeling some resentment/self pity. It started after work, I had a lot of really tough things scheduled at work this week and I took a vacation day today (Friday). I made it through my week and then I had my tennis league last night. On my way home after tennis the thought of stopping to get something was on my mind. I guess I was thinking I could pull this off, after all I've been working hard and I could take a little mini "vacation."

I didn't do it. Instead I came home, read some of the BB and went to bed. I feel much better this morning and I'm really glad I didn't drink. Since I have the day off I'm going to go to a noon meeting. Prior to last night I hadn't thought about drinking in a long time, but the alcoholic thoughts were patiently waiting for me to have a weak moment.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Me too, Zebra! I was driving home from work last night and I found myself sitting at a stop light with booze on the brain. I didn't stop, of course, but it struck me as funny that after almost a year of not drinking, I had a sudden craving. I guess it never really goes away for people like us--it just sits in the back of our minds waiting for the right moment.

I'm glad we both thought better and continued driving home! Once I was home, I had no more thoughts of drinking. Keep up the good fight, sir!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Thanks Gofish, you too!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Zebra, you are right, cunning, baffling, powerful, and someone once mentioned patient.

Gofish, glad to hear you and Zebra were able to work thru those moments and not drink.

It has been about two months since I last had the fleeting thought of a drink.

One day at a time...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Insidious and all...

I'm doing good y'all, might get more time soon to be on the internet. But I'm doing good. And apparently I'm improving. O_o Not sure how, but apparently...

((Augusties))

ps. Just realized, my new date is in August too... Took me a year to get some time in. Got 90 odd days now. Doing alright about the whole obsession thing. Also, adjusting pretty well to this whole 32 degree thing... a few years in the sunshine had me worried, but turns out it's like riding a bicycle.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you TB!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

TB! Thank you for checking in. Glad you are well.

I am back from my deer hunting trip. I shot a doe early this morning. Then had a seven hour drive back home today. I am exhausted. Getting up at 5:30 AM four days in a row is hard. Back to work tomorrow.

Glad all of you are well. And mad props to Zebra and Gofish for not drinking! It is amazing how that thought sneaks up at weird times. Glad you both stayed strong!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good Morning All...

((((TB))) so good to see a post from you!!! Glad you are doing well, and adjusting to the cold weather. Don't get too cold and turn into a TB popsicle!!! We miss you...

Bdiddy, it sounds like you had a productive, yet long weekend. Glad you are back home safe and sound.

Yesterday, I did some step work with my sponsor. Looking back over some "feelings" I drank over, acknowledging my part in them and realizing hey, I am an alcoholic, that is what we do, we drink was soooo freeing. The past is past, I can only work on today. The things I did, said or felt then, are over and done with.

I have today before me...and that is a wonderful feeling!

I also have the absolute worse haircut EVER in my life!!!! I went in for a trim, and came out with Halle Berry's haircut in Catwoman...now, if I only looked like Halle Berry, this would not be a problem.

This too shall pass...but, not quick enough for me!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Anew, I say just completely shave your head and start over. A clean start, right?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just checking in. Hope everyone is well.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi Brent. Just checking in from lurkdom. Good to see you TB!

It is really hard to type around a cat on the lap lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Purplecat, isn't it fitting though for you to have a cat on your lap when you are here given your member name?

How is everyone? Mighty slow around this ole August thread.

Right now, I am putting miracle gro on my head to make this bad hair grow out faster
Truthfully, if that is the worse thing that happens to me, I am blessed.

Thanksgiving is one week from today...what does everyone have planned?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

True, that is fitting for you PC.

I just got a call a few minutes ago from my new sponsor's wife and my sponsor just got out of the ER. They thought it was kidney stones, but I guess it is just severe back spasms. He is on some heavy duty pain killers right now, so won't be able to meet until probably tomorrow. We were just going to get together and talk and start working steps.

For Thanksgiving? I would be willing to bet my holiday will be the most eventful out of everyone here. haha. My parents, two brothers and their wives, me and my wife, and all our kids (that is 8 adults and 6 kids all under age 8) are renting a large RV and driving from our town to Branson Missouri to go to Silver Dollar City for the nations largest Xmas light display, parades, and amusement parks. We leave Thursday morning and get back Sunday night. This will test all of our nerves and tolerance levels. haha. It has been my parents dream to take all of us there since they visited there a few years ago. So now it is going to happen. Pray for us.

Hugs to you all. And good luck with that miracle grow Anew.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

bdiddy,

Your Thanksgiving plans sound like a Chevy Chase movie. I hope it goes well.

About 10 years ago my mother thought it would be a good idea to rent a house on a lake and have my sisters, myself and our families together for an extended weekend. I thought it was a really bad idea but I kept my mouth shut and went along because it was my mother's dream.

A couple of weeks later my mother told me that if she ever suggested something like that again, that I should just have her committed. I hope your family get's along better in closes quarters than mine did.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Ha, no doubt Zebra. Now if we just had a cousin Eddy..... And an Aunt Edna strapped to the roof we would be in business.