Notices

Whiners Anonymous..Part 42

Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Have a wonderful time, least.

Stay in bed and get lots of sleep Zipperman, you've had too many early mornings anyway.

Tomorrow is a family reunion/multi-birthday bash, niece and nephews flying in from all corners of the continent, and promises to be a fun time...except they are predicting thunderstorms.

Outdoors is so much more fun, and I really hope the rain comes early or holds off until it is over.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Least & Ann - have fun with your respective celebrations. I'll be leaving soon for Chelsea Clinton's wedding - hope Bill and Hill have the guestroom all ready for me.

LadyA - That sounds hopeful - wishing for a good outcome for you.

Hbee - I really need to thank you. I just dashed on here before going out to sit in the sun for the umpteenth time this summer to keep my light tan. I don't go to the tanning beds, & never get really dark - but still. I need to rethink this. I do look very pasty without any color - but it is certainly NOT worth it to risk enduring what you've suffered. I'm so sorry you've had to go through that.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Have a great trip least!

Hevyn, what about a fake tan? Oh, and give Bill a big smooch for me, tell him he still should have invited me to the wedding, I promised I wouldn't say anything to Hilary;-)

Good luck lady A

Zipper, have fun.

Todays major whine...its a perfect summer day, they don't make them any prettier, and I am on my way into work:-(
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
cmc

Hiya whiners.
I was offline for a bit but things seem to be fixed and hopefully will stay that way....but of course ...it was absolutely awful being away from your wonderful whining. I'll have to catch up on what I've missed later because I have a family party to go to @ FIL's in about an hour and am not nearly ready. I hate all this rushing around.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I stopped tanning about 10 years ago...I am a fair, pink-skinned natural blonde, blue eyes (or i used to be blonde, i color but it is probably all gray)... i was a coppertone kid, I've roasted in tanning beds too....turning over like a rotissarie chicken on the beach.

my BFF the chief of Plastics told me in no uncertain terms..."Fandy, if you lay out in the sun, you will start to look like an old saddle".....that did it. i never purposely cooked again, I do the spray dry-oil sunscreen and I fake bake. Tan Towels are easy and streak free...I also found that neutrogina works well for my skin, not fake at all...i am light tan not orange.

Hbee I am glad to hear that you are OK, Skin cancer sarcomas on the face!!!! OMG, very serious. I can send you the lecture we teach to the students..titled "Skin cancer and soft tissue sarcoma" lectured by one of the oncologist surgeons. He just removed one from one of my good friends at work....she didn't even realize how serious it was until the biopsy.

I'm very sorry you don't have insurance, but the alternative to not taking care of it would be horrifying....you are very lucky to have caught this. You are beautiful with your stitches! the scars will fade and dermablend and mederma will help camoflage until they do. The important thing is that they removed it.

back later guys, i am working.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hev, can't tell you how depressed I was thinking, "am I going to have to walk around with that greasy kid-stuff sunscreen on all the time?"

It's amazing how many nice, light (!) sunscreen products are out there. I personally like the sprays.

Of course, even the best sunscreens don't filter out all of the sun.

It's just smart to use some defensive tactics when it comes to protection, esp from burning as that's where the highest risk lies; use at least an SPF of 15 and a product that protects both UVA and UVB rays and is water-resistant. Neutrogena has some good choices, esp for the face (but I like their skin care products anyway).

I even have dark pigment to my skin, I rarely burned, but I used to lay out when I was a teenager and early 20's during the worse times (10am-2pm). My father used to say he could literally see me changing color as the hours ticked by. Sunscreen? I used to use baby-oil. OMG!! We didn't know then what we know now.

LaFemme's correct...there are some good self-tanning products out there that you can use year-round....not like the fake-bake greasy orange lotions and cremes from 20 years ago.

Again, I like the sprays that give you a gradual tan look (I use L'Oreal but it's a personal decision based on your skin type). I've heard good things about St. Tropez and Jergens gradual tanning products too but haven't used them.

I also use a facial moisturizer that has a SPF and a bronze tint to it so I can skip the foundation altogether in the summer. Nice!

I read a blog from a young woman recently that said she'd rather die of skin cancer than walk around pale and she has resigned herself to a life of tanning beds. Very sad.

It's just smart to be aware; no need to be hyper-vigilant (although my sister has been vigilant her whole life - she can't stand the sun). At age 47, she doesn't have one wrinkle and has the skin of a baby's bottom.

I'll step down from my [sun]shine and whine soapbox now. Thank you very much.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Back from the bank. The teller convinced dh that we would be better off applying for a credit card instead of a loan so we wouldn't have an application fee or an origination fee. We filled out the application, and she said they have to mail it off for approval. Please be sending happy thoughts/prayers/warm wishes that this works out. We'll know more "in a few days"... so however long that means, I guess.

And I need to be using fake tanning lotion lol... I'm probably the pastiest native american on my side of the Mississippi.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

This is the *third* attempt to post this reply.

First time was internet issues; second time SR said I wasn't logged in??? WTF???

Important part worth repeating...((Fands)) I don't feel beautious, but thanks for saying so. you're so sweet.

I would be interested in the lecture you mentioned. No hurry, at your convenience...enjoying the weekend after work is a priority first! LOL.

The house next door to me sold. My new neighbors are over there puttering around. I'd like to go over and welcome them but am sure they'd confuse me for Frankenstein's wife.

It's fright night at the welcome wagon!! :rotfxko

Ladya, sending good vibes your way. won't a cc have its own service fees? interest charges? possible min balance or other fees, etc? just thinking out loud, esp since you mentioned that your current credit cards are maxed out...?? hoping it all works out well for you!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I have to download the file from one of my work laptops (we have 3)..I'll store it on a flashdrive and download into a document....oooowww! my brain is tired already..i've been burning CDs (filled with medical articles and lectures, knot tying manual for suture course). I am dancing around the OR nurse's crazy schedule threatening resident teaching for scrubbing..which they hate.

BTW, I use Banana Boat dry oil spray...we got some for Mr. Fandy while on vacation in the Bahamas...paid $18.00 a can there, here in NJ it is $7.00 at walmart! it is very nice and not sticky-icky. Tan towels work the best for a fake bake for me and they do not rub off. later gators..the Samster is waiting for me.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, kids, if I go "fake" I might look like a blonde Snookie. I'll try to find the neutrogena. I used baby oil too - never sunscreen. Sometimes QT. Also had a sunlamp! I'd deliberately hold it close to my face to get the best results. Oh, it makes me cringe now.

LadyA - I'm glad you seem more hopeful about the car mess.

cmc - I hope you enjoy the family party.

My whine: I was talking to a friend on the phone about the weekend. She said, "Well, you could probably go out & have just a few drinks. You're stronger now & you wouldn't overdo it again." Huh? Did she not understand a thing I said about alcoholism? I guess it's impossible to explain to those who think it's a matter of willpower.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Ugh Hevyn, that sucks about your friend! I think that's why I don't feel like explaining to everyone that I am in recovrry, I just tell people that something changed and I can't stand the taste anymore.

I'm a blue eyed blond and though I've had a couple o sunburns in my life they have all been accidental. I think I tried to tan a couple times but thought it boring and by the time I was 16 I realized I wanted to prevent wrinkles and have worn sun screen since.

I am.adding to this mornings whine. So not only did I have to go to work on the most gorgeous day ever, the train broke down, we sat on the track until they got us a new train. Got in to the city 2 hours late!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

There is nothing on earth finer than in-season fresh corn and tomatoes. If I had a last meal request, it would be fresh corn and tomatoes.

Today I picked some up at a roadside stand...and ate 4 cobs of corn and 6 whole tomatoes and called it "dinner".

My name is Ann and I am powerless over fresh corn and tomatoes.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Tanning, huh? I'm a white girl, and I do mean WHITE. I'm a strawberry blond so my skin is super fair...which means I have two shades: white or lobster. Never bothered with the tanning thing as a teen and now I just don't care enough to try the stuff from a bottle. If people judge me for being white in summer, I don't want to be friends with them any way. (So there!)

HB - wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm glad you're okay. What would I do without my hopebucket friend?

LadyA - good luck with the car stuff. I used to drive a clunker and I think a high percentage of my anxiety at the time came from not knowing if it was going to get me where I was going and worrying about the cost of repair if it broke down.

Whine of the day: A friend of mine crossed a boundary a while ago and now any time she asks for something it makes me want to run for the hills, no matter how tiny the request is. I told her I need some space, but didn't tell her why. She keeps sending me these text messages (yes, I do text, but I don't do it obnoxiously) about how she hopes I'm doing well. I'm sure she's trying to be supportive, but I just want her to GO AWAY. I'm trying to figure out if the friendship is worth salvaging...
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

oh,sarahdoll,i know that feeling...if she would leave you be for a few months you could probably salvage our friendship..all true friends are precious commodities to me.

Ann, i'm there with you on the fresh corn and tomatoes...(gee do they have jersey tomatoes in Ontario?..hahahahaHAH!)....the real Fandy's *biological mother* owns a big farm and she brings me biggie sandwich tomatoes...i buy eggs from her every week...nothing like organic eggs fresh bright yellow yolks...the shells are much thicker and each egg has a date on it...they are never more than 3 days old.

i agree the fresh smell and taste of real vegetables in the summer cannot compare...i eat so many tomatoes i get a blister on my tongue.

ablonde Snooki??? are you that short? or do you have a bumpette? implants?....i can't count the number of times i've walked that same boardwalk.....the original Mr. Fandy owned a house down on Island Beach...(now passed down to the our devil-daughter since he passed last october)....i always drive down to Avon and the current Mr. Fandy's family are big politics in Spring Lake.

I confess to watching jersey shore...to laugh of course...but my favorite is Jerseylichous....it's the HAIR..the Housewives can just get over themselves...if i behaved like that I would have a job!...charming and diplomatic and proper if you are a professional....not a common bs cheapie...BTW we don't all have hooker nails either. mine are short and frenched
Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
...medical articles and lectures, knot tying manual for suture course...
It's a suture du jour! Fands, absolutely no hurry on the lecture doc. whenever...pls pls pls...put me last on the list.

Hev, I was trying to remember the name of the orangey fake bake product I used 20 years ago...it was QT! Now about that bumpette and implants...
:rotfxko

Sarah, hopebucket friend 4ever even if I have more holes in my face than in my bucket...LOL.

I have a bff of 35 years - lately, she calls me whenever the simplest thought pops into her head.

I was clearing the caller-id memory from my home phone the other day. Her # showed up 7x in one day (I wasn't home and she didn't leave msgs)

I asked her what was so important that she called me that many times? she said it was nothing, just wanted to see what I was up to. huh?

Told her I loved her and asked her not to do that; I felt like I was being stalked.

Assertive not aggressive has been my motto lately. It's working...no anger and no misunderstandings...a real friend understands this I think. mine have.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good morning Whiners. I'm off the a family reunion/bbq today and the good news is that the thunderstorms seem to have passed by uneventfully. It's sunny, warm but not hot and a just about perfect day.

The potential for whines at a family get-together is big, so I will save my whining until tonight.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good day Ann

D
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

up, up, and away queeny!!!

hell, i got my five hours in, ugh!

have a good time at the fam re-onion queeny

cant wait to hear how the party was Mrs C

fands, dd you have the Coppertone Butt (_|_)

ladyam, did you get the Carl Malden Card?

hev, i still get the old, have a few belts!, sheesh!

some guy wanted to buy me a few shots at the gig last night, i said, sure,

a shot of cranberry and seltza!, he gave me a look!

queeny, i haven't tried corn on the cobb yet with my new teef, will give it a go!

hey, like i say, what do i have to loose?

hell, my teef!

good wishes on the friendship SD

and by the way, the gig was good, though a few snags,

when we got there, the P.A. was not, so we thought, it was in a back room,

hauled it out, and discovered it was a powered job, not enough cords we had was the prob,

managed to deal with that glitch,

the first set, great,

the second set, great,

the third set, was a hell of a lot of waiting around,

as some cable TV special boxing match was on, and the drunks wanted to watch it

we hadto wait all 12 freak'n rounds!!!

you dont take an aged rock star in recovery, and ask them to sit around an hour, waiting, waiting, and waiting!

a resentment was starting to brew, my sponsor was there, and i took him hostage for a bit to kill some time!!!

when we ended the night, we thanked the two people that were left!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Zipperman, you ended the night sober, you can't get better than that

And you can cut the corn off the cob, it tastes wonderful with lots of butter and salt...and is easy on the new teef.

Okay, this is it, I am really off now, to get ready for the gathering of the Queeny clan.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

a quiet cloudy day here....i have to go and visit my mother (who has called my poor brother 22X in 24 hours)...it is my turn to play "the bad child"

I watched the Dog Whisperer this AM and have to watch out what kind of energy i transfer to Sammy....

my mother is going to transfer her "energy" to me...i'm going to bring her some soup, that should help the situation.