Notices

Codependency and Beyond - part 12

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

(((Annie))) - I'm glady you had a good meeting, and sorry you didn't get to spend time with your son, but I'm glad you put your meeting first...I'm very impressed!!!

Getting ready to head out and do stores. The rain is supposed to move in today..yuk

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"The Five love languages"

I have that book! I got it five or so years ago. I'm going to hunt for it. Although, I don't seem to think I have anyone to practice it with at the moment. :-P

I also have the five love languages for children. I do know where that one is. :-) At least I have my priorities in order!

Scavanger hunts-- hee, hee
Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

(((Annie)) So glad you enjoyed your coda-meeting, I agree with Amy that you did the right thing by going...you are taking very good care of yourself.

Last edited by SerenityGirl; 03-09-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: posted twice
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Happy birthday amy!!! Congratulations on your wonderful recovery.
You have been such an inspiration for me!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Oh....from me too!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Birthday's are awsome. :-) Happy one to you!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amy, Congratulations and thanks for being you!

Annie, I'm glad your meeting went well. I hope your husband didn't have an ulterior motive when he invited your son over. I guess time will tell.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are readings from The Language Of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright - 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Taking Care Of Ourselves

March 9

We cannot simultaneously set a boundary and take care of another's feelings. It's impossible; the two acts contradict.

What a tremendous asset to have compassion for others! How difficult that same quality can make it to set boundaries!

It's good to care about other people and their feelings; it's essential to care about ourselves too. Sometimes, to take good care of ourselves, we need to make a choice.

Some of us live with a deeply ingrained message from our family from church, about never hurting other people's feelings. We can replace that message with a new one, one that says it's not okay to hurt ourselves. Sometimes, when we take care of ourselves, others will react with hurt feelings.

That's okay. We will learn grow, and benefit by the experience; they will too. The most powerful and positive impact we can have on other people is accomplished by taking responsibility for ourselves and allowing others to be responsible for themselves.

Caring works. Caretaking doesn't. We can learn to walk the line between the two.

Today, I will set the limits I need to set. I will let go of my need to take care of other people's feelings and instead take care of my own. I will give myself permission to take care of myself, knowing it's the best thing I can do for myself and others.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Thanks ((Grateful)) for this reading....I love this one. It is very hard for me to remember that I need to take care of my feelings for a change, I am so use to worrying about other peoples feelings..
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

((SG)), I know, eh...This was the big one for me and so deeply ingrained was my pattern of everybody first, otherwise how could I possibly get the love I needed.. and the thing that enabled my caretaking and made it so confusing for me, is that I am very altruistic by nature...

It took me a very long time to separate the two...
I think our mantra should be : first, do no harm...to thyself!!

((Annie))) I am sorry, but knowing how difficult and emotional it has been for you regarding your son, I can't get over that you chose to go to the meeting...amazing! ...good for you...I know I would have gone with son, not the right move for me, but I was a flaming codie, out of control, back than..
I chuckled as I read the ways you used to love your husband...I respect his way of being loved, But I kept thinking how cool this lady is, and what fun and interesting ideas

Gys,,thinking of you:ghug3

Amy Happy, Happy Birthday!!
Congratulations on your three years!
and we know just how huge that is, with all the other big stuff you have been dealing with...
yay you!
:day1
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
Gys,,thinking of you:ghug3
oops, sorry Gyps....my brain goes faster than my fingers!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
mergirl

:day1 I love you soooooo much girl!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Amy, you look pretty in Pink!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Wow, ((Grateful)) - I didn't know I WAS pink until you pointed that out! I knew I'd told them I'd be a mod with Miss ((Done)) but didn't know it was done yet.

Thanks, everyone for my b'day wishes. I did stores all day, but had fun...cruising around in the "limo" - the rental suburban. I had to do stores 1-1/2 hours away, took the back roads and it was beautiful...had the stereo cranked up and sang all the way. Spent a lot of time thinking about all that I have to be grateful for.

I just got off the phone with my one remaining g'ma - she's 91, in CA and is sharp as a tack. I also talked to my uncle, who is a longtime heroin addict, now maintaining VERY well on methadone and helping my g'ma out financially. She would love for dad and I to come out to CA, and we would LOVE to, but neither of us are in a position to drive/fly out there right now.

I'll just say that stepmom is giving me many opportunities to use my codie recovery tools

LOVE, hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

(((Amy))) So glad you are having a fun day for your Special Birthday..you deserve that and much more..love & hugs!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Nice surprise....husband is on the road traveling...and son showed up unannounced last night to spend the night because he scheduled a dentist appt. this morning and didn't want to drive all the way from his house (1/2 hour away). Actually got to talk with him for about 1/2 hour...before he went out to party and came back at 1am...but anyway....it makes up for the other night when I missed him.

I would ask for continued prayers for him. I do think he is making progress, but I think it doesn't take much for him to be drawn back into the pothead mode.

Thanks for being here as always.

Annie
Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

(((Annie)) happy for you that you were able to spend time with you son after all..sending prayers for you son.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Grateful is having problems getting on SR this morning, she will post today's reading as soon as she is able..
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

Annie, I am thrilled that your son came over and you got to visit for awhile. That sounds like progress!

Grateful, I hope you can get online soon!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

You are reading from The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie Copyright - 1990 The Hazelden Foundation

Living With Families

March 10

I was forty-six years old before I finally admitted to myself and someone else that my grandmother always managed to make me feel guilty, angry, and controlled.

- Anonymous

We may love and care about our family very much. Family members may love and care about us. But interacting with some members may be a real trigger to our codependency - sometimes to a deep abyss of shame, rage, anger, guilt, and helplessness.

It can be difficult to achieve detachment, on an emotional level, with certain members. It can be difficult to separate their issues from ours. It can be difficult to own our power.

Difficult but not impossible.

The first step is awareness and acceptance - simple acknowledgement, without guilt, of our feelings and thoughts. We do not have to blame our family members. We do not have to blame or shame ourselves. Acceptance is the goal - acceptance and freedom to choose what we want and need to do to take care of ourselves with that person. We are recovering. Progress is the goal.

Today, Higher Power, help me to be patient with myself, as I learn how to apply recovery behaviors with family members. Help me strive today for awareness and acceptance.