Notices

August Sobriety Group Pt 5

Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

OMGoodness! Goosebumps and tears! I have to get back to lessons, but just wanted to let you know how awesome it was to read about your experience! I am SO HAPPY!

(((anono))) and (((daughter)))...Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Love,
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Thanks VC, Anew, BF. You guys have played a huge role in where I am right now. I told the guys about this site. They said it is great for some support, but the real recovery needs to come with face to face people who can hold you accountable. Because as soon as I log off the computer, you guys are not there to hold me accountable, and that is what everyone needs in recovery.

You guys ALL rock my socks and I can't wait for us all to succeed for good! Hugs to my August peeps.... even though it is now November! haha.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Meow

I'm so happy for you, Brent! :day6
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Brent

Yeah, happy tears for you. That's a sweet story.

Today will be interesting. I don't know what else to say. Yesterday I proved reaching out for help doesn't actually get you any, and twice it made things worse, with the department and with the housing. I wonder what other truism I will find out doesn't apply to me today.

Take care y'all,
TB, back to normal life for her
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

You guys have opened my eyes up to something:

I am not happy or comfortable with my current home group and I need to find a different one. I feel nervous before meetings and I feel a sense of dread about being called on to share. The group is large and not very welcoming.

Several meeting chairs/leaders are intimidating.

I am going to try a different meeting tonight.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

TB-I know you must think I am psycho cheerleader...but, if I let my head stay in the negative, what isn't working., then, that leads me to drinking. I have to stay positive,
even if for today., I just thank God I am alive, and that I have a roof over my head...
you have courage...and you have the courage to change the things you can...and accept the things/people that we cannot change.

Bananagrrrl...have you visited any other groups/meetings? I have visited two others, and although they were nice...it wasn't "home" for me. I am fortunate that I found the group of people that I have, who meet where they do.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Anew,

I have visited other groups but it was over a year ago. I just feel like if I don't look forward to going to meetings, I am not going to the correct one.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

What a fantastic experience for you Brent!
I absolutely LOVE my AA home group. They are just the way you described your new friends--open, honest, loving, and very willing to admit--even joke about the fact that we're all in the same boat--a bunch of (recovering) drunks!
The love and support you get from these people will be indispensable...

Banana--I am sorry that your home group doesn't make you feel comfortable. I have heard from several AAers that they had to 'shop around' before they found the right home group. I myself tried 3 different groups before settling into the one I have now. One of the ones I visited made me rather uncomfortable, so I never went back. I'm sure you will find one for you!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Bananagrrrl....it sounds like the right decision to check out some others. Wishing you good luck in finding the right fit.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

OK, everyone. I just got back from lunch with a bunch of drunks! haha. I love how they call themselves that! Then they just laugh! Had a great time with them again, and met a few more guys in recovery. All wished me well, and gave me some ideas. The guy that I spend a lot of time with last night started talking to me about going deer hunting when I leave tomorrow night. He told me to call him tonight and he is going to take me to some websites and put a bunch of speakers audio sessions on my I-Pod so I can listen to them while I am there! What a glorious idea! So that is what I will do tonight.

I also just got back from my alcohol assessment. After about an hour of questions, she recommended me for Intensive Outpatient Treatment. I have a wait a few weeks to get in. I am not real excited about this, as I was hoping AA would be enough. But I said when I started this 2 days ago I am willing to do "whatever it takes" and I mean that. I am just very glad she didnt send me away to treatment somewhere for 30 days. She commended me for coming in on my own, and admitting my problem before I got a DUI, lost my family, job, etc. So I will start that 3 nights a week for 3 hours/night for 6 weeks in the early part of December.

Hugs August peeps, and thanks again! Hang in there TB! I know you can do this. ****, if I can do this, YOU can do this!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

I was telling someone the other day...when you get of bunch of drunks together,
there is bound to be some laughter.

Brent...you are taking the right steps to move forward in recovery and live a happy sober life.

It is so exciting to read the hope in your posts...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST View Post
I was telling someone the other day...when you get of bunch of drunks together,
there is bound to be some laughter.
I've found this to be true of smokers too....
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Banana, yeah, go to another group. Go to a bunch, see what you like. I was initially turned off from AA after the first meeting I met... Been hit or miss ever since, but enough hits to still go.

Brent, maybe... Maybe I gotta wait for something amazing to happen too, although at this point it won't be AA, who are plenty nice to me when I'm there, but... And telling people (well, I told only the depression part--although I have told some of the alcoholism part) worked out so negatively, I don't think I'll be doing that again. So I suppose I might wait for something.

Well, y'all, I resolved the grad school problem... talked to the dept. head, he says he trusts my judgement. He also said that he's not surprised I can't get along in the dorms. That was very reassuring to me--I thought I was going crazy. I mean, I know y'all are supportive of me, but maybe I was typing it in such a way that it wasn't fully reflective of the whole situation. He mentioned specific things, and it was like finding SR all over again... he understood me!

Can't find the housing guy. Gonna look him up online and shoot him an email... see if that works.

I had an ice cream sandwich! It was an impulse buy... and I'm happy I bought it. I checked my balance and I'm about $40 less than I thought I was... what difference does it really make. $39 after the ice cream sandwich.

Got over my depression. I thought if you get diagnosed depressed, then you're going to stay that way for a while. I'm about as good at staying depressed as I am staying sober, I guess lol. I wonder what happens if I'm still happy on Friday when I have the next appointment?

My head is spinning from all the bleach I used this morning ( thirtybubba has lots of bleach) on the floors--still. I'm probably going to fail that inspection, but if that wasn't pre-determined, well, I'd eat my hat but I'm not even wearing a ribbon in my hair.

Still kinda worried about tomorrow and drinking, but kinda relieved... I stole my computer and we're sitting in the library. I got some books for my paper... I'll read them in more depth tomorrow. Right now I'm gonna do two of my small papers for the class I have tonight, to use as leverage for handing in my outline on Thursday. Yeah, I can stagger things... but leverage works in the real world. It's nice to have things that sorta make sense. The dorm life has far surpassed anything Hitchcock thought up.

On second thought... maybe that's how he got his ideas. If you have to live in a surreal world for even a while, all surreal becomes tantamount to real, and if one such world is real, why not another...

Philosopherbubba gotta go be sociologistbubba for a little while. Take care y'all.
TB
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

TB---glad you are feeling better and that the dept. head understood what you were saying. Having someone validate your feelings, in real life is wonderful.

Don't worry about tomorrow., and drinking. Today, you aren't drinking, and thats all you have to focus on is today.

You have a way with words and tell great stories. Maybe you should write them down, would make a great book
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Wow, a lot of posts 2 catch up on.
((Bdiddy)) So good 2 hear this news. I KNOW that it must feel good to have told someone finally; no more hiding and feeling shameful. That was how I felt anyway.
((Bana..) It took me many AA meeting 2 find the right homegroup too. I guess it is like shopping 4 a pair of shoes to get the right feel/fit. Shop around.
((Kate)) Sure hope yr little one is fine, update please.
((Sphal..) I'm glad U had a grand time while on vacation...so where R the pic's?
((Thirty)) So glad things R working out and yr not depressed anymore and so glad that U R sober. You go girl!
Haven't heard from KC1 in a while. I hope U R doing well and just taking a break.
((Breakfree)) Do U home school? Just asked, since U stated, "back to lessons.."
Doing well here. Nothing 2 report, still sober since my relaspe at the end of July.
Went today and filled out many applications to find employment, been on vacation way 2 long, so hopefully will start back 2 work soon. Also put in one for a volunteer postition at the community food bank, thinking that I need 2 give back.
Hugs and love 2 all. ( ANEW.., PC, VC, anono, Dee, and all classmates that I may have missed.) So glad I'm part of this here August group.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Meow

Yay TB. Glad you are feeling better and have seen some movement in a positive direction with your school situation.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Meow

A different topic. My son is having some issues with school. The age old peer pressure thing. He absolutely doesn't want to drink, do drugs or smoke (phew!) but it is all over his school. He was accused of being "straight edged" because he didn't want a cigarette.

Sigh. It is so hard to be 14. I hope he hangs on to his convictions.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

PC- I would almost venture to bet that his school is just like the rest of the world in general. Whatever you are looking for, you will find! I knew kids in my high school that didnt party, drink, smoke, etc. And there were those that did. Whatever you are looking for you will find. Just choose to associate with a different crowd.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi all

1st. Brent! I'm so so happy you had such an experience the people I have met are unbelievable, so friendly and all having such a good time with living sober!

Keep going TB,

Nan, do u just go to the one group? Over here we just go based on time so it's very fluid, u never know who's going to be there. I am still deciding what home group to go too

Me. My daughter still in hospital being very strong and brave she's having some more tests then probable theatre this afternoon
I'll keep u posted

Take care all
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. Tonight I feel "different." I feel strength in my heart as I get ready for bed. I didn't go to a meeting tonight. My wife went to a Bible study, so I stayed home with my daughter. I got a call from the guy that took me last night after the meeting and he was just checking in on me. He said I sound great, even better than last night. I told him I have started reading the "Big Book" and he was proud of me! One of the other guys got on the phone and told me where to go to download audio clips to my IPod to take with me this weekend, so I am doing that right now. I told him I was a bit nervous about this weekend? He asked me why. I thought that was an interesting question. I mean, isn't it obvious? I am going away for a long weekend where everyone will be drinking but me. He said that God knows everything I do, and if I just put him in charge, and let him guide me, it won't be a problem. He doesn't leave town until next Tuesday, so he said he will see me sober and a week into recovery next Monday night at the meeting. How cool is that?!?!

So I am off tomorrow. I am taking my Big Book and my I Pod full of AA speakers from national conventions throughout the years to help me through. I will have my 24 hour chip in my pocket all weekend, because I know I never want to have to earn another one! Hugs everyone, and I will check in tomorrow before I leave.