August Sobriety Group Pt 5

Keep the Group going, guys!
last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey all... i'm first!! yay!!

i'm still here.. day 64 coming up! hard to keep up.. sorry to hear about your loss OB, i checked into the fitness thread as well a few times, it was a good thread,, do you have any other contact? email? facebook?

i hope your feeling better TJ.. i had swine flu vaccination today.. am a bit unsure about it as pretty untested.. but i work in high risk to get infected.. fingers crossed nothing happens

take care all and i'll check in soon
kate
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

TJ, feel better, being sick stinks.

OB sorry for your loss.

I didn't start my day off that great: car would not start- I am waiting to talk to my mechanic to figure out what the plan is.

Have a great day everyone. Day 70 for me.

hugs
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man there are a lot of success stories on here! Anono, Banana, Midton, TB, Sphal.... all of you have done so well! I am so proud of all of you! Keep going.

Midton- It sounds like you know the answer to your question about drinking in November. It sounds like you know what the end result will be if you choose to drink. You just have to ask yourself if it really is worth it? Honestly, truly ask yourself that question. But whatever you decide, realize it is your own choice, and not anybody else' s. We are all pulling for you buddy.!

I hope everyone is having a great day! I am feeling much better today. I slept like a rock last night, so I feel much more refreshed today. I think my vitamins are really helping.

On a positive note, I am planning on starting my mixed martial arts training in December. A friend of mine moved back to town and is opening a studio here then. I have always had a desire to train MMA, and this will be my opportunity to start. I am not looking at doing it competitively, but more as a form of extreme exercise. But maybe if I really excel at it..... maybe do some smaller fights. Who knows. I am 28 so not exactly a "spring chicken" to be starting something like this. I am just really hoping it is the release I need to stay away from alcohol and excel at something besides drinking! Wish me luck.

Hugs to everyone!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brent, that is awesome! You should do it! I have often thought of doing Tae Kwan Do. It's exercise, it's discipline, it's fun, it's cool!!! Yeah! Let us know how it goes. You are never too old to start that. There are people in the studio we went to in their 50's, 60's, and up. I have thought about trying it, but it's a big time commitment. And right now I'm committed to yoga 2x per week, tennis 2 hours per week, and some runs/bike rides. There are only so many hours in a week!

I have recovered from my 'swine flu' -- or whatever the heck it was! Thanks for all of your warm wishes!

As for me and alcohol, let me say that although I have not quit totally (still have a glass of wine or two -- no more -- now and then) I have NOT gotten drunk since Sept. 25th. So I am happy. I am on Kudzu, the herb, it seems to be helping. So I'm not going to have a sobriety date (I have just accepted that). I know moderation is a bad word here, so I won't mention it again. Just know that I am doing well and will not have a sobriety date. Each day I make the decision whether to drink or not. Most days I willingly decide not to drink and am happy about it. I sleep well, feel good in the morning, etc. So maybe I am headed in the direction of not drinking at all. It's those few occassions when I go out with friends that I am not ready to give it up totally.

I have started a little dating, so I am spending my time on a dating website now.... we shall see where this leads if anywhere at all. I have a first date with someone tomorrow night.

I did my yoga class last night and it was awesome. Want to get in a run outside today. Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks TJ- I will keep everyone posted. I am pretty excited for it though. My wife is all for it, and everyone has been very positive about it. I just find it funny how I am VP of a financial services company during the week, then go train MMA at night and one weekends? Have to explain to them why I always have black eyes and cuts! haha. But I guess better than trying to explain why I may smell like alcohol in the morning from the night before, or my eyes are all red, etc. Good luck on your date! I hope you find a keeper
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meow

bdiddy - having a sport is a great thing, both physically and mentally. At work they are used to my skating and even encourage it. You are never too old to start a new sport, either. My ice dance partner (formerly my pairs partner but he has had too many injuries) started in his early 40's and is now in his early 50's.

TJ - I am doing the same as you. It's working for me - but I certainly know that it would not work for everybody. I'm just really glad for myself that I have broken that daily cycle. Also, I am down 11 1/2 pounds and counting - woo hoo!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brent, that sounds exciting and like a very a positive way to spend your time.

TJ- good for you! I hope your date goes well.

PC, way to go! I seem to be on a plateau. I think I replace alcohol with sweets though, to some extent anyway.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Meow

I was too, bananagrrrl (chocoholic here ). I've started a real diet last Wednesday, though to combat the plateau. I have wanted to get this weight off for a few years now, but it is impossible when drinking 600-900 calories a day.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Morning classmates.
Congradulations 2 Anono, Banana, Midton, TB, Sphal, TB,& Box (I hope I did not leave any one out.)....on all yr sober days. Outstanding!
dbiddy & Ocean, hugs 2 both of U. I know how hard it is, keep trying. Good plan bdiddy on the class and getting back to a healthy choice. I like 2 swim.
TJ & PC good luck on the moderation. I know that some can and do stick to a plan and suceed, but I never could; soon I would B right back to drinking the entire 12 pack and paying 4 it in the AM. TJ, have a nice, romantic time. I hope 2 wines and dines U. We girls need this.
Sphal..,thanks 4 the beautiful pic's, attach some more in yr next post.
Sober here and taking it day 2 day.
Where is NewAug..breakfree, box and the rest of the gang? (Box, working on my list of my joys and finding more passion.) Just got home a few days ago from a mini vacation and still have that 2 reflect on. I really wish I lived closer 2 the Ocean as I did when growing up on the East coast.
Really have no plans today, except 2 finish with the Halloween decorations. I love Halloween and all the kids that come to trick and treat.
Stay strong, all. :
PS: Is the ***** group still active, haven't received any new notifications 4 the site, am I still a member?

Last edited by tallcactus; 10-13-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: &#@
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Meow

It's still active - there's been no posts.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks PC 4 answering my question.
I thought maybe I somehow, posted wrong and deleted the site or something, but when I just logged on recently, I got there without a problem. Just quiet I guess.
Have a great day.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too TC! The ***** group, that is. I am wondering how Shakespeare is doing as well!

There are a lot of MIAs, don't you think?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's still active - there's been no posts.
hi PC... for some reason i have been unable to log on.. it is on my to do list to check out why!

good luck with the moderation PC and TJ... i'm glad to see your still here supporting us though!!

TJ: how did the date go? i did that a couple of times awhile back.. but i dont think i was ready at the time. getting there now might check out one again

have a good day guys...
seeya
kate
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Kate, my date is tomorrow night. Will let you know Crazy business -- I joined eHarmony for the fun of it. The guy I'm seeing tomorrow night seems very cute, cool and a gentleman. (He's a naval officer). He is driving to my neck of the woods (as a gentleman would, sweet -- love it when a guy takes charge!) I suggested a place near me. I'll let you know how it goes!

(Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a dating thread.)

BTW, who is the guy who left here on SR w/ the fitness thread? Was it Tommy?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KC1

KC here. I am still Alive and Well. Still immersed in budget seasonat work and tomorrow morning I am going to be on a live television show to talk about disabilities and fundraising in these hard economic times. No drinking tonight, that's for sure. Been doing very, very well, though. It's been about 4 weeks since I have been totally off of the AD's and it has made a difference. Still having my back problems, had more blood work done yesterday and more xrays, hope to hear by the end of this week. Hope all are doing well. LOVE the Halloween avitars that are popping up. Will have to check those out. Tonight I am getting my Halloween decorations out -it is one of my favorite "holidays". I have a big witch hanging on my front door on a spring, so it looks like she is flying her broom. :-) Later this month, a friend and I are going to a weekend long Halloween Festival. Leaving the husbands at home. Trying to decide what kind of costumes we can wear in the parade. This is the friend who invited me down to the beach a couple of times....getting to know her better.
Have a great evening.

KC
Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OB checking in, sober and not particularly liking it but I guess I won't be complaining about the lack of hangover tomorrow morning. Still not sleeping well and am very irritable and sad.

anono and bananagrrrl, thanks for your support and good job on your sober days!

Midton, good luck with your choice. Just remember, you do not HAVE to drink under any circumstances, the first drink is a choice and then all the bets are off. We are pulling for you!

bdiddy, that sounds great! I finally went back to the gym today and feel a little better.

TJ and PC, good luck with moderation. Some people can actually do it. I just read "Sober for Good," they discuss some strategies how to make moderation work (but mostly it's an abstinence-oriented book). Actually, I'd recommend this book to anybody. It discusses the multiple approaches of the people who defeated their addictions and used all sorts of methods to do that. So if you are unsure what methods will work best for you, it's a good book to explore that. For me personally, moderation is not worth it. Cuz let's face it, I wasn't drinking warm vodka or whiskey out of the bottle to excite my taste buds.

And TJ, good luck with the date!

TC, I miss the ocean too, badly.

KC, hope you'll feel better soon!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
BTW, who is the guy who left here on SR w/ the fitness thread? Was it Tommy?
It was Phaleron. Tommy's thread is alive and well in the Daily Support Thread section, although I don't really follow it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
kc here. ...... Later this month, a friend and i are going to a weekend long halloween festival. Leaving the husbands at home. Trying to decide what kind of costumes we can wear in the parade. This is the friend who invited me down to the beach a couple of times....getting to know her better.
Have a great evening.

Kc

yay!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Not much new here, just glad it is hump day.

Where is 30Bubbba?