Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks -Part 9

Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Just saw this somewhere, really liked it and thought of my friends on the 'less than 2 week' thread!

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright".
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Everyone.......

fPlease remember to do something that pleases you each day.
My today treat? A manicure and lovely coral painted nails.

Part of my recovery is to enjoy the new me
inside and out......doom and gloom are not for me!

I'm so tickled y'all are making progress

Last edited by CarolD; 11-11-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Typo Corrected
Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Good morning......hey Asta, you and I are a big day 6 today!

I just posted something in the August class and I would like to ask the same thing here.........hope you don't mind but I am doing a copy and paste thing:

It dawned on me that the holidays are fast approaching. Each of us will probably be put in some very high-pressure situations.......holiday get-togethers, parties and even some depression. This is the season to stick together more than any other. I know it is not a good time of year for me. When I was a teen, my mom died around this time....I have no family (dad in FL and a-hole brother in CT).......yeah I got this guy now, but not sure what his plans are.......he has his own family......it may get weird.
What do you guys feel about all this? Are you nervous about it, have you thought about it??
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for the interesting Questions VC.....

The holiday season is so much an individual "event"
as to how its handled ....I doubt there are absolute
answers ..tho discussion can be useful.

I quit drinking in April so I did have sober time to
draw on before I had to deal with this.
I too was alone....I had dumped my still drinking
lover ....family scattered ...but that had been
the case for many years.

No, I did not go to drinking parties
When I was a drinker ...I did not go to sober ones either.

I stayed busy with AA and my new friends in the Fellowship.
We did all sorts of things outside of meetings. It was a blast!

I also did extra hours at my volunteer organization
Thanksgiving I went to a race track...cause I never drank there.
That Christmas ...I helped feed the homeless.

Yes! you too can move forward....
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
being me

Hi VC! Good question.
Last year I quit drinking in October and made it through the holidays. Sometimes it was rough, but sometimes it was great. OK, the rough part was hanging out with my mom on Thanksgiving. She knew I had quit drinking and came to my house to try and make it easier for me. Oh boy. She can be super annoying and I realized how much I used to just start drinking (hey, early AM just cause it's a holiday right?, yeah right...) in order to smash down all the feelings I had about her actions. That day was difficult, but I also learned a lot too, and did not drink.

How bout the great? I did attend a holiday party with work colleagues and free booze. Because every other year I had gone to that party, drank plenty, and knew I shouldn't have been driving home, my sober attendance to that party felt like such a victory. All the way through it I felt good about my choice! I saw my friends drinking more than they should and saw how it wasn't really that cool to be at their table getting smashed.

Like Carol said, it is an individual experience, so you will make it yours and need your own strategy for succeeding. I always put me at the top of the list and know that I can leave any party/event etc. if it is making me feel uncomfortable. I told some family members I was close to that I wasn't drinking, and others I knew it would be easier to handle on the spot. At one family get together, I said that I felt like I was fighting a cold, so I wanted to keep my immune system healthy. Have a plan ahead of time so that you aren't put on the spot, but beyond that, make it a plan that feels right to you.

Congrats on day 6 VC and Asta!!

Mirage - cool quote! I like to think that alright is quite an accomplishment and wonderful will come in time.

RH - Glad you are doing well! Your questions promoted some great discussion, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I know a lot of people struggle during the holidays...so it's a really good subject to broach. It'll be on us before we know it and it's best to be prepared with strength and resolve when it is. I"m not anticipating this one to be any different than any other...and mine are generally really good. No real drinking in my family, so that's not an issue. No work parties that I know of...just Santa and lots of family. I'm very fortunate.

I'm sorry this is a tough time of year for you, VC. I hope the friends you've made here can be of some help.
As much as I don't think the holidays will be hard, I think it would behoove me to stick close to SR...things tend to sneak up on me when I'm not looking!
(Plus they have all those Christmas smilies...it would be a shame not to use em!)
Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

VC, I made it to day 6 too. Woo Hoo and congrats to you. Holidays are very quiet for my husband and I generally. Our families are scattered all over. I have 1 adult daughter who will be at her dads and my mom (dad is deceased) is a long ways away and doesn't travel. I'm not too worried about T'gvg cuz my husband will be around. But this weekend he is going to a funeral in CA. That is more of a concern. I need to keep focused: don't buy booze, don't buy booze, etc. I'm pretty much an aetheist so I checked out SMART Recovery website. I think I will give it a try. They have regular OL meetings. I will keep in touch here of course.

THANKFUL TO BE CLEAR HEADED. (Did treadmill this AM and it is actually NOT raining again. Yeah!)
Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congratulations on Day 6 VC & Asta, Well done.

Here where I live, we have alka thons at some of the AA meeting places, where you can go for 24 hrs to a meeting, they run one after the other usually for all 2 days of Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years. I also helped out at a homeless shelter last year and I must say it was the most rewarding thing I did the whole holiday season.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

I amposting briefly because this laptop is TEENY and IMPOSsIBLE to typeon...see??? I am not this bad a typist...really!

Anyways, we'llbe back home on Fri and I'llbe able to post more...and get my thoughts together re the "holiday discussion"....

Glad to hear that everyone continues tomove forward! Doesn't it feel GREAT?????? I know that there can be moments,but when I get through a rough patch, I feel so proud and GRATEFUL! And then the next patch that comes along, becasue life is life, I can look back and think...wow, I made it through the last situation. Our strength grows as we do!

OK, I'm giving uponthis keyboard tonight...either it is too small or my fingersare too big!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Congratulations Mirage, ViciousCycle, RockHound and Asta1 on another day of sobriety. :ghug2
Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Today is another sober day in my life, and I am feeling awesome. Hope each of you are doing the same.

Back to the holiday discussion, last Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day & New Years Day I went to a detox and brought a meeting in for those who were in the rehab and detox. I was about 90 days sober at the time and I have to say that going back to a rehab and seeing people who were suffering with this addiction wishing they were home with their families made me so grateful.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

That sounds like a great idea Believe. The Volunteers of America run a detox for homeless people as does the Rescue Mission. I'm going to check into it this weekend.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Morning Peeps!

One more day and it's back to a "normal" keyboard and you'll have to suffer my long diatribes again....so enjoy today!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Morning peeps.......Day 7.........yeah Asta too! Congrats to everyone else as well! It feels good to look in the mirror and recognize myself. Clear eyes.........nice.

Interesting holiday commentary......I look forward to hearing more.
Mine are going to be weird.......I am seeing someone who is 3/4 of the way in a divorce.......he has been separated long before he met me.......which is good. He has 2 grown kids.....one out of the house, one in........does he do the holidays there? With me???? I feel really strange about the whole thing.......uncomfortable really. Maybe I should just plan my own thing.......last year I spent much of them alone, and I was ok with that.......really!. I think alot of the holiday stuff is overdone......T-day I made a small turkey breast & stuff and watched football. I enjoyed it very much......this year has a kink in the chain...........hmmmmmm.

Have a strong day everyone.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

NICE typing H&S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

VC, maybe just ask him what he wants to do. He may be thinking the same thing as you..."what am I gonna do?" I'm sure you'll work it out...I'm guessing he'll want to spend at least some of it with you..cuz you're so wonderful and all. And if it doesn't work out the way you hoped, they ARE just holidays. They're days that will pass like any others, and you'll be on the other side of them before you know it. Play some Christmas music, light some candles, cook a good meal, and be proud of yourself for doing so well!
Shoot...maybe I'LL do that! lol
Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

VC
Morning peeps.......Day 7.........yeah Asta too! Congrats to everyone else as well! It feels good to look in the mirror and recognize myself. Clear eyes.........nice.
First congrat's on Day 7 YAY, YAY, YAY.

The clear eyes reminded me of when I first got sober, everyone kept saying that my eyes were so clear, they could see I was feeling better from the way my eyes looked. I am an eye person, I always look at peoples eyes, maybe they are to me a "Window to the soul" anyway, since being sober I too notice when someone new comes around, how sad and dark their eyes look, so full of pain and desperation, and after about a week or two you see how clear & bright their eyes start to look. That comes from the hope, hope that they can do this and they are doing this. I'm glad you are seeing such positive changes. Thanks VC
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Well another day is about to close......I hope you all had a strong one. Tomorrow I start a p/t job......I will go in from 4am till 9:30 am on friday and saturday......early....but then I will be done and still have the whole day. I need the extra ching.

I'm guessing he'll want to spend at least some of it with you..cuz you're so wonderful and all.
YOU are a doll!

Night peeps.....till tomorrow........
Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

VC--Congrats on the new job. That's great! Starting at 4 am? The good part of that is you will need to go to bed early and avoid having to "think" about what you used to do in the evening.

One week is actually up. Last time, I lasted 17 days. That has actually been my pattern. I can stay sober or mostly so for about 2 weeks and then for some reason I start to go off the deep end, get cranky, irritable, etc. leading to relapse. THAT HAS TO STOP! Here's to the start of a successful week 2!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Well you have a quit partner this time Asta....... we will both get past 17!!

I have been getting up so early these days, I do go to bed early so this will work just fine. I crashed at 9:30 last night......usually I would wander the halls past midnight..........this is better.