View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
grrrr
being me

Hi VC! Good question.
Last year I quit drinking in October and made it through the holidays. Sometimes it was rough, but sometimes it was great. OK, the rough part was hanging out with my mom on Thanksgiving. She knew I had quit drinking and came to my house to try and make it easier for me. Oh boy. She can be super annoying and I realized how much I used to just start drinking (hey, early AM just cause it's a holiday right?, yeah right...) in order to smash down all the feelings I had about her actions. That day was difficult, but I also learned a lot too, and did not drink.

How bout the great? I did attend a holiday party with work colleagues and free booze. Because every other year I had gone to that party, drank plenty, and knew I shouldn't have been driving home, my sober attendance to that party felt like such a victory. All the way through it I felt good about my choice! I saw my friends drinking more than they should and saw how it wasn't really that cool to be at their table getting smashed.

Like Carol said, it is an individual experience, so you will make it yours and need your own strategy for succeeding. I always put me at the top of the list and know that I can leave any party/event etc. if it is making me feel uncomfortable. I told some family members I was close to that I wasn't drinking, and others I knew it would be easier to handle on the spot. At one family get together, I said that I felt like I was fighting a cold, so I wanted to keep my immune system healthy. Have a plan ahead of time so that you aren't put on the spot, but beyond that, make it a plan that feels right to you.

Congrats on day 6 VC and Asta!!

Mirage - cool quote! I like to think that alright is quite an accomplishment and wonderful will come in time.

RH - Glad you are doing well! Your questions promoted some great discussion, thanks for sharing.