Notices

Class of July 2008 Part Six

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I like the George Carlin saying.

I need alot more insight until I would be able to try to drink socially.

I'm not sure if it is my alcoholic mind but I told myself yesterday that maybe I would give myself to next Christmas to decide to try. I immediately felt relieved almost happy. Although I drank like one for a period of time I am really still not convinced that I am an alcoholic nor am I convinced that I am not. I figured if I can't give it up for at least a year I will assume that I am. I just don't want to continue to be miserable. I really don't know how I am going to get through the holidays but if I tell myself it is just this one at least maybe I can not be so obsessed with it. Does anyone feel like this? Is there anyone else that this is there first time quitting?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My little dog is doing very well the last few days. Climbing the stairs and walking just fine. I am grateful for all your positive thoughts and prayers for him. I know it helped.

:ghug3
Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Philly...it isn't my first time getting sober, but seems to me that if not drinking for a year motivates you and improves your spirit, thats fine.

That period of time would give you a chance to review your own drinking history with clearer eyes and to see how much you do or don't obsess about drinking when you aren't drinking....those things might help you to determine whether or not you consider yourself and alchoholic and wether or not drinking or druging really is something you really want to start up again.

It sounds like "one year at a time" is doing for you much the same thing that "one day at a time" does for others.

:ghug3
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi all today is my 117th day sober and this last week has been hell! The cravings have been overwhelming and I actually had a break down in my AA meeting on Tuesday. I got a sponser a week and a half ago and we did step one today. She asked me if I believed I was totally powerless over alcohol and if my life had become unmanageable. Instead of a simple YES which is the case....I had to blabber on and say I was confused because of the obsession that has been eating away at me. And to be honest I don't find my sober life much more manageable at this point due to cleaning up all the wreckage! I am bored...working a job way beneath me....trying to sell my house so my AEXH and I don"t have to live together anymore! I am really trying to live in the now and the positives. The gifts I have been shown and live in the gratitudes. I am just finding everything to be such a hard task. Lately, I am so happy when it is time to go to bed. I know this too shall pass...I am in what I consider my most dangerous relapse place...each time it has gotten shorter but I have made it a month longer than last time so that is good. Thanks for letting me ramble and vent!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sassy, ramble and vent all you like. We're here to support ourselves and each other. If venting here keeps you sober, we're glad to listen and glad you're staying sober.

Today is my 125th day sober! Tomorrow (Sunday) makes 18 weeks! That makes me feel so good cause I never thought I could stay sober this long. But I got here one day at a time and I'll move forward one day at a time!

It's a rainy day here but at least I woke up feeling better than I had been feeling.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

feeling pertty wierd.....my zen preist once told me to look for the space to be...

I'm gonna be considering that thought today

later
Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
feeling pertty wierd.....my zen preist once told me to look for the space to be...

I'm gonna be considering that thought today

later
What did the zen master say when the hot dog vendor asked him what he'd have?

"Make me one with everything."

Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Of course, I sometime have trouble just finding the space bar (no alcoholic pun intended--ok, you all know me well enough--of course it was intended, hehe).
Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Koan of the day: when is a door not a door?

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
Koan of the day: when is a door not a door?

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
What? Do you have 1st graders?

I dunno. I guess I'm such A JAR head!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Monastery Life
A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.
He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.
The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."
He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing, "We missed the " R" ! , we missed the " R" !"
His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?"
With A choking voice, the old abbot replies, "The word was... CELEBRATE !!! "
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

hahahahahahahahaha....that's HILARIOUS, bmus!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Day 126 sober here - 18 weeks!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

There's snow!

My son has a birthday party today and the invitation said to bring sleds if there's snow.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

That sounds like good fun scoob! and you can warm up with hot coco.

not much going on here this weekend.....I'm fresh out of humor, but happy and feeling like I am making progress on changing my life now that I am sober and half way through the clearing away the wreckage of the past (which includes the wreckage of my house )
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Yep, it's all about being Canadian today. My son has hockey at 8 am, he'll go to the birthday party, and then I have another bingo to volunteer for at the community center.

Good times.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Day 120!!! Yippeee!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Thats so cool rhino!!!!!!! YIPEEEEE!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

RhinoGal, that's four months!! Way to go girl!!:ghug3

Scoob, the sledding fun stirs up my best childhood memories of winter at the farm. I remember being quite cold and wet but of having fun in the snow - lots of it - and hot chocolate and hot coal stoves too. What fun it was....

My love to all my classmates/friends/fellow travellers.:ghug
Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

hope everyone checks in soon...I'm off to work in a minite. Had a really productive weekend.

Hope the rest of teh week goes well!