Notices

Class of July 2008 Part Six

Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

It's just a sick day Ananda, it's ok. Just because you used to abuse them for hangovers, doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to take a "just because" day anymore.

The last time I took a sick day, I was just tired. I felt that with all the germs going through my house I was going to get really sick if I didn't catch up on my sleep.

Maybe by sleeping in your body was telling you to just take a break. You're allowed to do that.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

lol...whoa there, girl! Of COURSE you belong here! Did I not just post above here that not only do i not think i'm an alcoholic, but i lost my "july" date a long time ago? No-one's booted me, yet!

Ok...I used to do that too, the whole skipping work thing, for not really any reason at all. Do you not like your job? I found that when I added something that I was able to accomplish in the day, before all the other stuff, then the stuff I HAD to do seemed to come easier. For instance, if I forced myself to get a chore accomplished first thing in the morning (dishes done, floor cleaned, hit the gym, etc.,) then the rest of the day's duties just seemed somehow more manageable, 'cause I'd already got going earlier. And holy convoluted sentence there!!!! Plus, when things are cleaner at home, my brain seems more clear for some reason. So if I get "something" organized/accomplishment right away, then the rest of the day kind of flows from there.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

DancingGirl,

If you are not an alcoholic, I'm thrilled for you. I hope you continue to post, or at least remember where we are, if you ever need us.

Ananda

Getting a house ready for moving is a really stressful time. Be patient with yourself. However, I think you're right, that if you're making choices that make you feel bad about yourself and what you're doing, then maybe try to take a little time to get in touch with what you really want and need at this moment.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

51Anna: thanks for your post. If I'm not an alcoholic, I'm still very aware that I HAVE abused alcohol in the past. I will not use booze to calm me anymore, or to make social situations "easier". I really have benefited from being here.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I sometimes think people take the word alcoholic too literally.

Not speaking just for you DG, but SOMETHING brought us here. I also have taken a step back and viewed these last 4 months. Being here has taught me to get down to the reasons I got to where I was and learn to handle situations differently.

I would really like to still have that expensive bottle of champagne with my husband on our 10 year anniversary next month like we've been planning for years, but I know I don't want to be the person on New Years Day who can't watch movies with her kids because she's in the bathroom throwing up the champagne from the night before.

My perspective is different now. I have learned a lot and will not stop coming here for support, even if i'm just reading, because the risk of going back to that place will always be there.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

scoob: that's exactly how I feel! I kept choosing booze for the wrong reasons and now choose healthier things/ways/activities during my days. SR sometimes seems so black and white though, either you ARE or you're NOT, and if you're not an alcoholic then you're in denial. I am choosing to not drink, but when I have had a drink, it didn't snowball into anything more. I just didn't want to pretend/pose/imply that I crave like others do, or physically want it, etc..
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hey class..

Hey DG!!!

:ghug:

In and out today...interesting stuff here..this really is a great thread.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

ananda, this is your thread too. You belong here. You made a decision that you regret. You have sufficiently beat yourself up over it, and in my opinion you let it stand because trying to correct it now would make it worse for you. Instead try to figure out how to learn from it and how to prevent yourself from doing it again.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
getting there

Ananda,
I've done similar things with work. I usually feel guilty about it too even though it only seems to be me that faces the pile of work that's not done. It sounds like there's maybe more behind this for you, so it's probably a good idea for you to figure out what's really going on. Don't be so hard on yourself though!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hey Friends! :)

It just started pouring out and I am stuck inside with rowdy children! AGGGGHHHH! We spent the last hour doing a craft...let me rephrase that...*I* spent the last hour doing the boy's crafts. LOL This would be the same craft that kept me up late last night gathering and cutting material! LOL My nerves are standing on edge and what am I doing? I'm drinking COFFEE! Great, huh? THAT'LL help! Not...

ananda...Two things regarding your day off...you have had A LOT going on and perhaps oversleeping was a sign that you may be on mental overload? As far as feeling the guilt for not going in, that sounds like your conscience speaking...I would say. Let your conscience be the motivation to get to bed early, get up early and into the office. You will SO MUCH BETTER once you are back into the swing of things and you see that everything is okay at the office...right where you left it. Remind yourself of the way you felt today the next time your head is telling you to call in and stay home. I know where you are coming from...I remember those days of staying home from school, cutting college classes or not going into work. The former and the latter had more to do with being depressed and college was one big drinkfest, but that's besides the point! LOL Even now, being at home, there were a few times that bringing the kids to preschool was just "too much" and we stayed home. And I felt guilty for that! LOL Preschool! LOL For me, I could never enjoy a day off when I *knew* I shouldn't be home and I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. Imagine if we didn't have our consciences to keep us in line. If everything I said is totally way off, just forget I said anything! :) This is just my own personal experience that I am going by...Tomorrow WILL be a better day! :) :) :) Oh, and (((hugs))) to you! Rough days stink...

As for alcoholism...I totally understand where you are coming from dancinggirl and I love you no matter what you decide is best for you! :) :) :)

Time to get back to work! :)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Dancing Girl

I agree with all and really think you should continue to post. Just a question did you crave it when you were not drinking?

Sometimes I think it is like when you tell a kid they can't have something they just want it more. I am not sure if that is my case. I know the past 5 years I really abused alcohol but I was sort of going with the program and I got carried away. Now that I know what it can do to you I would like to some day try to drink under celebratory circumstances. But I am afraid that I will be like most and it will be harder next time. I have never tried to stop or cut down before but I did drink only occasionally for most of my life. I really never heard of anyone who once abused alcohol being able to drink again. Everyone I know drinks too much and they wouldn't consider stopping. Just venting as usual and thanks for listening.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Ananda,

Wow, I can't believe it. You must be like the 2nd, or maybe even the 3rd person in the history of telephones to call in sick to work when you weren't actually sick. I think I speak for us all, when I say that we're certainly glad you're not the newly elected leader of the free world.

Seriously, your body was probably just telling you subconsciously you needed a rest. You don't need to be puking your guts out to deserve a day off. As far as the "honesty" thing goes (and I'm not an AA guy, so I'm not sure what the deal is there), do you take yourself to the police station every time you drive over the speed limit and demand a ticket? My advice is don't sweat it, life goes on.

BMUS
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

DG,

Please stay.

BMUS
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone and Happy TGIF!

WOW! Friday already! WHOO-HOO! :)

Have a GREAT day!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A happy good morning to all. I'm 124 days sober today! (just wish I wasn't sick)
Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good morning all my friends!!!!!!!

My doggies say hi too!

I dreamed that my son and I committed arson and burned our house down! OK...I'm getting desperate....but no drinking was involved

You know today its kinda nice cause when I drank...one day "sick" lead to the next day off as well.....I hate going back after playing hooky, but at least sober I can do that

feeling pretty good :atv
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Philly: I didn't crave alcohol in a physical sense at all. I didn't wake up in the morning ever wanting to drink. I didn't start getting shaky at a certain time, wanting to drink. I DID drink way too much and too often, though, mostly because of a social situation I was in at the time.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
Hi all!

Philly: I didn't crave alcohol in a physical sense at all. I didn't wake up in the morning ever wanting to drink. I didn't start getting shaky at a certain time, wanting to drink. I DID drink way too much and too often, though, mostly because of a social situation I was in at the time.
I never woke up in the morning craving. In fact, if I had drank more than just a few the night before, I woke up in "I'll never do that again" mode. But by mid to late afternoon I'd be thinking a beer would be nice.

I never had any shaking or other physical manifestation of a requirement for replenishing the alcohol in my system - at least not that I was aware of.

For me, it appeared to be a mental desire for the release and escape of a few drinks, but then when I got to that point my drunk mind said "I want more"

It's like the late George Carlin said after he quit cocaine. "A couple snorts of cocaine made me feel like a new man. The first thing the new man wanted was a couple snorts of cocaine."

I believe that alcoholism is a progressive disease. I believe that the mental cravings are present before you get to the stage of the disease where you get physical cravings.

Before you get to that physical craving stage of the disease, do I think it's possible to quit for X amount of time, get a mental handle on yourself, and then get yourself to a mental state where you can go back and use the drug without abusing the drug. Yes.

Do I think it's a dangerous road and it's possible to slip back where we were quickly. Yes.

I'm saying this a much to me as I'm saying it to DG and to everyone else.

Not claiming to be an expert either. Just my opinion based on what I've heard, read, and experienced to this point.

It's a personal choice and I support everyone's right to make that choice
At this point in time I am honestly enjoying sobriety. Maybe I'm getting used to it? But I really prefer it right now over "social drinking" let alone drunkenness.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I enjoy being sober, as well. I like going to sleep without the room whirling around. I love waking up without needing to "feed" to feel normal quicker. I like working out in the morning. I like not missing work because I need a nap. Etc., etc..