Notices

Class of November

Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Don't worry Fizzy, I can't get to Yorkshire either! Purdy's sounds like Red Bull - that's my vitamin drink!

I'm going to be ill - sausages in lard!! I bet in Scotland, they would deep fry that lard and serve it on the side. Just laughing at my own wit!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Guessing its in Castleford ?

Did a routeplanner, its only 312 miles from where I am in Scotland then, 5 hours 35 mins the AA say it should take me.

Bit dodgy getting back for the kids then, shame, the Turkish delight was nearly swinging it for me there.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Straight up Lostbug, the wee chippy near me actually has a menu that has

Deep Fried Mars Bar
Deep Fried Bounty
Deep Fried Twix

all available for a quid.

Even when drunk though I've stayed with the chips and curry !!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

We have deep fried mars bars at our chippy, too! See, don't anyone say the Scots haven't done anything for us!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Haven't had the pleasure of a deep fried Mars bar, would if I was in the mood tho.
Deep fried haggis was however a revelation...Yum!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Do you think that maybe the Scots are trying to get back at the English by introducing us to cuisine that is hazardous to our health?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Wow, such bad cravings today. Came so close to slipping.... so close

Made it home though, sober and didn't buy anything on way home.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Guessing its in Castleford ?

Did a routeplanner, its only 312 miles from where I am in Scotland then, 5 hours 35 mins the AA say it should take me.

Wow! Do you guys plan routes at meetings?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Good stuff, day 5 for me too, Wibble.
I've made myself a bit queasy with Energy drinks and strong chocalate. Better than the alternative though.
Got loads of sugar speeded housework done. Bonus.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by timzup View Post
Wow! Do you guys plan routes at meetings?
I'll just keep setting them up for you mate !!!!!!!

No need to thank me.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wibble View Post
How do you deal with it?
wibbbly....i'm worried about you! wrong timezone...off to get my cup...wasn't there when you needed some good strong experience on how to stay sober during the rough times

I saw you made it home...hope you are still safe and sober!

I kinda wondered....do you married men let your wifes or girls know that you are sober now? I am not sure but I think it would be harder if my son didn't know that I'm doing that now...might be harder to resist that urge if he had no clue that I needed to and wanted to stay completely off alchohol.

Also...Friday and Saturday nights are a really important time for me to make a meeting...face to face serious how to stay sober stuff...followed by the companionship of dinner with friends..often a light fun time...and spouses are always welcome for that dinner part too.

Having a support system on line and f2f has been critical for me.

Sorry to hog the thread here, but I am concerned wibbly!:ghug3
Old 11-22-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hey Ananda, thanks for your concern. Its really nice.

I'm ok thanks, yesterday was tough but i made it through ok. I'm going to my first meeting on tuesday so as long as I can make it through the weekend i'll be fine. I made it through Friday night which was a really big deal for me so I'm on the right track.

Thanks though, its nice that you care!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'll just keep setting them up for you mate !!!!!!!

No need to thank me.

What a ball! Right on his head for the top corner! Unstoppable!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Fridays were hard for a while, but each one I got through gave me strength. What helps me is to see the tough times coming in advance. It's the things that take me by surprise that blindside me still.

Btw, wibs, I told everyone on SR I was going to an AA meeting, like you have. And it helped me get through those doors - I didn't want to come back and say I'd bottled it!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post

I kinda wondered....do you married men let your wifes or girls know that you are sober now? I am not sure but I think it would be harder if my son didn't know that I'm doing that now...might be harder to resist that urge if he had no clue that I needed
Abolutely, don't reckon any other way would work at all. I gotta say she's really supportive. She's even gone through 'to wives' and 'the family afterwards' with me.

Mind you, gives her something to do whilst waiting for my toast to be done. Only joking, yup honesty is only way I reckon.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Having lived with an alcoholic husband and b/f myself, it's impossible not to notice when they stop nands! (just thinking, all my significant others, right from my first b/f, were alkies!).

They look better for one thing, literally within days, which is just as well coz they want nookie every darn five minutes! Very difficult to get your 10 minutes of cleaning done!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by ananda View Post

I kinda wondered....do you married men let your wifes or girls know that you are sober now?
Think you maybe know my answer Nands, other won't though.

Different to Timzup, although my wife knows I used to drink and now haven't had a drink since May and that I don't want to drink when we go out and have no plans to drink through the festive season ( maybe never again but I ain't making that promise ) I've never told her the whole truth about my drinking habits.

She's not silly though, she can see I'm happier and fitter, I've not had a day where I've been too sick to get out of bed in 6 months whereas I used to have one a month or so.

I also don't use any face to face support at all, coming on here is all I do.

I find it easier cos if nobody knows the agonies going on in my mind sometimes when I do want a drink its easer to deal with them than if someone is fussying over me.

Ok, also reckon a wee part of me likes it that way as well so's its easier should I decide to drink again as well !!!!!!!!!!!

What I reckon though is that there is no right/wrong answers, just an end result ie staying sober.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Having lived with an alcoholic husband and b/f myself, it's impossible not to notice when they stop nands! (just thinking, all my significant others, right from my first b/f, were alkies!).
Remember you know exactly what to look for Lostbug, far easier for an attict to spot another addict I reckon.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Actually just had a long conversation with my wife about all this. I don't really think she understands how bad i'd gotten. I guess I was better at hiding it than I thought. Its hard to express to someone that through the last few years the only thing going through your mind 24/7 was when you were going to drink next and how you could engineer the situation so you could drink.

This is all getting a bit serious kids anyway!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I never understood my ex b/f until these past three years and becoming an alkie myself. I just couldn't figure out why he didn't just stop doing stuff that was ripping us apart, and killing him.

Now I know. Great!

That's why I find AA so good. Just a room full of people who know how hard it is to live through the day without little comfort blankies. The obsession, the cravings. They've all been there. And they are all one drink away of landing right back there again and they know it!