Notices

The Quit Team

Old 01-13-2022, 12:47 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I know what you’re saying Dee. That almost-two-year-streak is still fresh in my memory and I remember how I just couldn’t free myself from it completely. Thoughts kept popping up, I kept longing for it. I got convinced that I could not find a good balance in my life without marijuana. Those thought are no good if you want to stay off something.

This previous quitting-attempt (or whatever you want to call it) has made me quite weary. I had small bouts of depression, something I had never experienced when using marijuana daily.

If I want to make this quitting thing stick I need to stay away from all that, but at the moment I don’t have a clear idea how I should make that happen.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Administrator

I changed the way I solved problems, found relaxation, or dealt with uncomfortable feelings.

I also changed the people I hung around with.

It sounds momentous to type, but I was ready for a new life and those who drank and smoked like I did (including my dealer) had to go.

D
Old 01-14-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

In the last aspect you mention, I have no gains to make. None of my friends use marijuana, they might have in the past but I am the last man standing. And the stuff has been legal here ever since I can remember.

Solving problems and relaxation, now that’s a whole other thing. Great gains are to be made in those area’s. The biggest struggle this week wasn’t cravings, it was the fact that I find it very hard to distance myself from things like work, worldly problems, the stress of raising kids and maintaining a household, etc.

Every day has ended with a headache, the feeling that my engine is running in overdrive and I feel like I am racing around all day. I am aware that this is not what life will have in store for me if I stay off the marijuana, I am still adjusting. That’s completely logical after only fives days without. But it’s one of my weak points, that’s for sure.

Thanks for your insight Dee, I really appreciate it and you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself. I don’t know if you are, but that’s something to be proud of.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:21 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

You are still adjusting FDM, you’re body is used to relying on weed to relax and unwind. In addition, you’re beginning to have a bit more energy as the weed starts to leave your system. Just keep reminding yourself that when your body adjusts, it will be easier to relax and you can use the extra energy to better cope with the stressors in life.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hey Ronantian, thanks for the reply. The dust is indeed still settling and it’s going to take some time. I had a first sober Friday evening for a long time, the summer holiday not included. I thought I would have insane cravings, but it wasn’t too bad. I had a good conversation with my girlfriend and I woke up with a clear head. I am however a lot more tired than I normally am, but nothing to worry about.

Hope you’re doing fine, have a good weekend.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:07 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Cruised through Saturday evening by playing a little guitar but mostly deciding on what I want to learn next, while my girlfriend and daughter watched something on TV I cannot bear to watch. I’ve decided it’s going to be John Martyn’s Head & Heart. Found a good tutorial on YT and I am fairly optimistic that I can do it, with a lot of hard work. The only small downside is that it needs to be played in an alternative tuning, so I need to set up one guitar especially for it and I can’t really play anything else on it for a while. Luckily I have three guitars so no big deal.

For those of you who get the impression that I am some kind of guitar prodigy…well I am not. Not by a long shot. I just own more than one guitar, that’s all

First week’s almost wrapped up.

How are you sober folks doing? And I wouldn’t mind hearing from the active users as well. Don’t be strangers!

Old 01-16-2022, 02:34 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s a beautiful song FDM. I only have one acoustic, but find it pretty easy to swap between tunings these days with electronic tuners - never played this song tho.

D
Old 01-16-2022, 03:17 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

I have three acoustics but no electric guitar(s) but I need to re-evaluate my stock because they’re all dreadnoughts and I had no clue about guitar size and shape when I bought them. For the music I play, I would be better off with an OM or 000 model. No chance I can tune a guitar by ear so I rely on an electronic tuner completely.

Playing electric feels so strange for me, due to the body size, the width of the neck and the lack of string tension. But it is nice to put on some effects and really make some noise. It hides all the mistakes I make, so that’s a bonus. Still I prefer the acoustic. It’s what got me into playing guitar, the music by Nick Drake, John Martyn and a whole lot of others. First song I ever learnt was Mazzy Star’s Into Dust.

There are so many great channels on YT for learning songs, it amazes me every time. You can just learn about anything.

Have a good one down under!
Old 01-16-2022, 11:00 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hard to go wrong with a Martin
but back to topic lol

Still going ok weed free?

D
Old 01-16-2022, 11:13 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey fdm I have been reading here most days to see how your doing, that’s so cool about guitar playing I’ve always had an interest in playing an instrument, it’s great your using this time to learn new music. I used to play violin when I was young but gave up because I thought I was too cool to carry the case around with me for lessons, something I regret now of course. YT is awesome for tutorials, ive been using it to watch a girl called Bailey sarian who does make up and tells murder mystery stories and my make up skills have improved greatly lol.

I did write out a reply to you the other day with an update on how things are going with me but for some reason sometimes I get anxious send reply’s. things are going well here, I’ve realised the things I thought I needed cannabis for I don’t actually need them for…for example getting to sleep, anxiety, trauma…I’m managing life pretty well without the need of cannabis. As time has gone on I’m falling into a new routine. I’ve taken up reading something I never did and have read maybe 18 books in the last 4 months. This is great relaxation for me at nighttime. My diet has improved without all the late night munchies too I’m eating healthier meals now. The racing feelings have settled too, I do still at times when overwhelmed but way less intense. I’m loving not having all the faffing around at night to have a smoke & clock watching desperately counting down to hours till I can do so.

My baby girl is due in 10 weeks, I’m excited to meet her. I have had fleeting thoughts of oh I could have a smoke again once she’s here, but I try to quickly follow these thoughts up on how well I’ve managed without it.

congrats on first week down, those first weeks are the hardest but once we adjust it gets so much better.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:36 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update lpg - and best wishes with the birth!

D
Old 01-17-2022, 01:08 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Hello there all you wonderful people!

Thanks for the reply Lpg, you sound so upbeat and you have something truly great and awesome awaiting you with a baby on the way. We all know a baby can be stressful too and I urge you in the friendliest way possible not to start smoking again due to that stress. You’ve got so much going for you! Try to stay away from the thought that you can use a little for some relaxation or what not. You’ll be back to square one in no time and that would be such a shame.

My first sober week is officially over and I’ve managed it pretty well. No real cravings and not once did I contemplate using marijuana. I do however notice that there’s less of a filter on incoming stuff so it can all be a bit overwhelming. My thoughts are flying everywhere and I often feel like screaming haha. I hope that settles down quickly.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-18-2022, 05:04 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Small update from The Netherlands!

Btw, do you peeps think I should start a new thread for myself, or should I post updates in this one?

Still managing really well in the cravings-department, but not managing so well in the peace-of-mind-department. My mind is racing all day and I had a seriously stressful afternoon with the kids yesterday. I have trouble regulating all the input of impressions and besides, life is quite busy anyway.

Seriously contemplating on working one day less a week, but there will be financial consequences of course. I hope things will settle down in the foreseeable future. At the moment the stress / unrest doesn’t lead to unwanted thoughts but if this continues for a long time, it will eventually will lead to them. Wanna stay away from all that.

Have a good one quit team!
Old 01-18-2022, 12:54 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

The racing mind is a tough one FDM. Some people try meditation or such like.

I just went with it - my mind goes, maybe not a million miles an hour any more, but a few thousand, lol.
I’ve gotten used to it again.

D
Old 01-24-2022, 07:40 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I’ve been reading the thread with great interest and want to join the team, I’m doing sober Jan from alcohol and want to quit the MJ as well, I’ve always rationalised that green isn’t as bad as booze but for me now it’s worse and I’ve gone past the stage of taking it or leaving it if I have it I’ll smoke it until it’s gone. I need to knock both on the head as drink and drugs take more than they give now.

day 5 here, hope everyone is doing well
Old 01-24-2022, 11:14 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

A very warm welcome FreddyGeorge! Glad you’ve found us. I could do with a little company.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Freddy George

D
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The racing mind is a tough one FDM. Some people try meditation or such like.
It seems my last post was -in hindsight- made on my most restless day. Things calmed down after that Monday and have been relatively low key since. The cravings seem to leave me alone for now but I am not punching a hole in the air yet. There’s a long long way to go.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:21 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

But sounds like you’re definitely getting some traction FDM - great stuff!

D
Old 01-24-2022, 11:27 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Well, it does feel that way but I am afraid to say it out loud. What if I jinx it?

But the advantages are really in-my-face now. I don’t know how I’ve managed at work the last two years. Forgetting a lot of things, being absent minded. I have clear head now and I am really able to enjoy that, and to see the benefits.

Thanks for the support Dee!