Notices

Morning Gratitude Part 121

Old 01-13-2023, 08:50 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Grateful for a lovely paddleboard session yesterday ... saw a Common Loon (not that common around here, for me anyway) and black oystercatchers which I love.
Grateful to have time to paint yesterday too. I worked a little bit (on my PT job) but stopped myself after an hour so I could do other things.
Grateful for more rain but hope the people affected by mudslides and downed trees etc are ok.
Grateful there's a tai chi class at church today, going to try to motivate to get out of my pajamas and go participate.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:54 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tursiops - I'm so glad you don't feel as alone. Some take much longer to rise above the sadness & live again (in a different way). Did you know the Aud. Warbler was once known as the Yellow Rumped Warbler? ( neither did I - found it while googling for a picture. Handsome birdy).
Alp - We have a bit of snow too - and it's going to get colder. I think MrH would love a good snow storm so he could use his (overpriced) fancy snow blower.
Grateful to join others in remembering my friend Pat aka Rusty Zipper. He was one of a kind.
Grateful I have weaned myself off of chocolate/cookies/other assorted sugary things. Salad last night for dinner. Boring, but necessary.
Grateful to be getting better at turning off the news when it's repetitive & disheartening.
Grateful for our eclectic group.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:56 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning friends in the computer. Though I don't think it is really necessary to say the computer part. You all are friends. We share so much about ourselves that even our real life friends don't know or understand.

Free Congrats to your daughter!
Hev yes to memories that make you smile instead of cry. I am getting there slowly but still feel like I have not gotten all the crying out for the loss of my brother and mother last year.
Turs I am so glad you are feeling more connected. What you are going through this last 18 months has got to be sosawwwsxzaaaaa. Okay my cat just walked across the computer while I was trying to think of the right word. Kind of like that one. Anyway, sending you virtual hugs.
Alpine I am still longing for snow here in NC. None yet.
NL 85 degrees wow. It was 70 here yesterday. More seasonal today.
least glad you are able to be entertained by the internet when you can't sleep. Me too.

Grateful we are heading to the beach in a bit. Need to finish packing and run to the store.
Grateful to play tennis yesterday.
Grateful I will be on 3 tennis teams this Spring.
Grateful for my sobriety more and more each day.
Grateful I had acupuncture yesterday and my new insurance covers it. Hoping it will help with a number of issues.
Grateful that my mouth is healing slowly. Still can't chew hard things on that side. Have not taken the antibiotics but have them in case something flares up.
Grateful for all of you.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:24 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

CBS, I am loving your cat’s word!
Fearless, ugh I’m sorry we have the glasses/patching in common too. I almost cried (happily) when the current doc validated me. I had talked about my failures to patch and then said to him, well, and yours. And inside I was like oh no here comes the shaming because I’m the parent and I’m responsible for it all and the doc said, “Ok I’m going to take this off mom’s plate. They are your eyes and you are old enough to decide if you are going to take care of them”. I was totally braced to be chastised but instead felt like I had an ally. What a difference it makes.

Grateful for a meeting today. I don’t really want to go but that probably means I need to.
Grateful today should be the end of the long and involved bday celebrations for my daughter.
Grateful my son’s covid test was neg. If we had to cancel for that, oh the sibling drama that would have ensued and been visited upon me because it would be my fault somehow…I’m glad it didn’t come to that.
Grateful my plan of mostly just mowing the leaves instead of raking them seems to have worked. It’s not perfect but this way it’s less work and more mulch.
Grateful for sunrise and sunset.
Grateful for all of you.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:31 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Grateful for coffee brewing
Grateful going to try and ski for about an hour, trying to get over my dreadful fear
Grateful we have money for groceries, and Costco had two dozen eggs for $8, Colorado stupidly passed a law that ALL eggs have to be open range, so there are restrictions on purchase and they are $7.0-$10 dozen at the stores. No, the citizens never coated, I’m sure farmers didn’t either. Scary world here

Grateful I slept for 8 hours , last hour hit the zsnooze button
Grateful,for coffee being brewed

Grateful we all have outlets besides drinking, painting, being involved in community, our work, physical activity, and working on becoming better people

Old 01-14-2023, 06:14 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Coffee brewing thanks was TWICE. I MUST APPRECIATE IT 😁☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️
Old 01-14-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi all, I need to catch up and read all the posts, but just coming through quickly. We were told that my mom had hours or days to live, and hoped for a peaceful passing, but her agitation returned with a vengeance because they took her off a medication that is now causing withdrawals. My dad is having trouble coping (understandably so) so the heavy lifting is left to us, and he swings between denial and anger. I definitely have empathy for him, I just wish he could find some for us, or at least not sit in the corner of the room kind of pouting. OK, whine over.

Grateful for coffee.
Grateful I can come home to my sweet dogs.
Grateful my brother and I have been getting along and seem to be on the same page.
Grateful for the true kindness of some of the memory care people, sorry to be corny but they're actually angels on earth.
Grateful to have hospice to call, even though I was hoping for a bit more compassion (I realize they see this every day, though).
Grateful I've been much more focused on self-care than I have been in similar past situations.
Grateful to know that I've done everything I can to support my mom, and in the process I've repaired some longstanding resentments.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

(((PS))) Thinking of you. I just went through what you are going through in April. Sending virtual hugs your way. Such a hard time. I am glad you and your brother are getting along. I hope your dad can get through this okay. Please continue self care as much as possible. And don't hold back anything you want to say to your mom. Even if you don't know if she can hear you or understand. I wish I had spoken more to my mom. But I did say how much I loved her and that a girl could not ask of a better mom. I held her hand as much as I could but had to take breaks and get outside.

Grateful to be at the beach.
Grateful for a lovely view.
Grateful for a long walk yesterday and another one coming up today.
Grateful the hot ub at the hotel was empty when my husband and I went and it helped my aching back after the 4.5 mile walk.
Grateful for the Dry January Mocktail list at the restaurant.
Grateful for my sobriety.
Grateful for all of you.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:13 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Palmer, I’m so sorry. Hoping your mom settles and can be kept as comfortable as possible during this transition and hoping your dad can find peace. I do believe the memory care folks are angels on earth
Numblady, such a nice thing your doctor said. So understanding. Wondering if he has his own kids. Sometimes that makes a difference. Glad your sons test was negative
Free, glad you can get out for a short ski. I’m sometimes tempted to buy the two dozen pack at Costco. But we never can go through them quickly enough before expiration.
Turps, nice that you are feeling connected and able to get out for paddles during rain breaks. This still inspires me
Hev, I’ve grown accustomed to having a big salad as one of my meals daily. I try to make interesting salads.
CBS, I often think about that - sometimes I share more with my friends here in the computer than my in person friends. Lovely beach picture. I dream of being there. Have fun!
Grateful I was asked to be a panelist on a webinar. Grateful the host makes me feel comfortable. Also, I don’t have to out together slides
Grateful to have dinner at the neighbors last night. Very nice people. Very fun time
Grateful to strive not to judge people but to observe and understand - everyone comes from a unique background and experience that forms their opinions and actions. Grateful to be aware that it doesn’t make sense much to argue my position to try to get someone else to change their mind when their opinion is based on their experience which is completely different from mine and we can’t possibly totally relate to each other, but can still be friends.
Grateful I’m going to a toastmasters meeting next week. First time in over 10 years. Exploring this again with a new club
Grateful my terrible dreams last night aren’t real. The house was falling apart in multiple ways. Floods under the house were causing rot, stairs were collapsing, cabinets unhinging. I guess I was subconsciously worried about the ongoing rains and winds, the roof problem (leak still holding) and conversation with neighbors about climate change
Grateful to use bread machine for first time today. Cheddar jalapeño. Yum
Old 01-14-2023, 12:49 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning all 🌞

PS - thinking of you while you are going through this difficult time. It's heartbreaking, big hugs for you ❤️.

I think I'm feeling well enough to try follow along with you all from her on out.

This morning I am grateful:
- to have some energy returning.
- for ample streaming services/entertainment to watch while incapacitated.
- to have spent atleast an hour in the garden this morning, hoping to get back out before the heat comes. Sure beats barely being able to shuffle about for five minutes with the hose 🤣.
- that my son's case was very mild....although he did take the week off.....he said he was fatigued but I suspect he was just milking the time off, hard to tell because he's so lazy here at home 😂. Probably for the best to be fully recovered, most people here go back to work as soon as they can stand.
- to be feeling motivated to start healthy living again. Hopefully I'll be up for some exercise soon.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend ❤️.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:26 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

PS, I'm so very sorry for what you are going through. It is so difficult to go through the process of losing a parent, and trying to support and cope with the other parent while it's happening. To me it felt nightmarish at times. I am so glad you're practicing self-care ... so important to baby oneself, as this takes a toll. When I lost my dad, I appreciated hospice a lot -- we couldn't have gotten through it without them. But I also felt at times like I needed more attention from them ... although it was somewhat routine for them, my world was kind of blowing up. Standing vigil with you.

Grateful to remember this morning that "being productive" is no longer my primary mission in life ... "being present" is. Grateful I could spend the morning running through puddles with grandson and then getting him settled in for a nap.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:09 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PalmerSage - I'm so sad for what you & your family are trying to get through. Even when we know it's coming, it's still a heartbreaking time. Sending love, & will pray.
CBS - I agree about our friendship here.
Tursiops - Your last lines are perfect. We were 'productive' long enough. For me, I'm trying to make up for years of not being fully present - so it's about time.
Grateful for you all. Just wanted to stop by & see how it's going.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:16 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful to have found the ambition and energy to walk to Safeway to get some cat litter and baking soda to change to the new litter box as the old one was stinky. Grateful for my rolling walker which makes it easier to go to the store.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:57 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

PS, sorry you are going through this. I understand 100%.
Busy day for me, so I did not have much time to come here. Will try to catch up tomorrow
Old 01-15-2023, 05:17 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Oh Palmer, I’m so sorry. Wrapping my virtual arms around you and your family but mostly you right now. You are having to carry your own load but also the emotional pain of your dad it seems. And that is a lot. Sending all the prayers and vibes that peace will find her and you. I am so glad you repaired some resentments. That is beautiful and huge.
Fearless, haha the docs were both women. Guess I didn’t say that part. I do think the current doc may have kids but I’m not sure. The first one did because she was lecturing me about how she did things (and impliedly, how awesome she was and how not awesome I was).
CBS, oh that looks so nice and relaxing.
Turs, that’s a great motto. It may be harder for me to live out while my kids are wanting me to fix stuff and there are a lot of people traipsing mud and leaves through my house. But I can at least try!
least, glad of your rolling walker. Hope it’s not too tricky to navigate carrying litter. Those boxes can be so darn unwieldy and heavy. even the little ones!
Zura, so glad you are feeling a little energy. Hope it just keeps coming in waves to you.

Grateful I stood up for myself with customer service last night. Ordinarily I would just tell them I wanted to cancel this stupid subscription where they charge you sixty freaking dollars unless you remember to opt out every single month, in a short five-day window, but when they tried to convince me to stay I told the guy I know it wasn’t his fault but it is set up knowing people will forget and the default should be that you don’t pay. It’s such a small thing but for me it is kind of big. I didn’t just skip over the why to avoid upsetting someone else.
Grateful for a great meeting yesterday. Wow the stuff people share is so profound. Makes me feel so inarticulate by comparison. One woman was talking about this wound she got one night while drinking and how it has come to symbolize where she was and that the scar tissue that formed is strong and helps her be where she is today. Among other beautiful things people shared.
Grateful bday party 2 seems to have been a success.
Grateful to be asking for help lots. Asked some old friends for help and found a sleepover for my son so the girls could be here without teen boy energy. Asked for help with hanging a punching bag and hopefully will get someone who knows what they are doing to double check my work today. Asked for math help for my son. Getting divorced is a tough adjustment for me and it’s ok to lean on people if they are willing.
Grateful I should have some time today to clean the gutters and for other fun stuff.
Grateful when things don’t require any skill level.
Grateful for all of you.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:39 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Grateful I slept well
Grateful we got the office, master bedroom and closet painted
Grateful for a day with Mr. A even though we were working
Grateful we will be working on painting in the spare bedroom today before Mr. A heads back out of town tomorrow
Grateful for all of you
Old 01-15-2023, 05:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

NL sounds like you have a nice combination of DIY and asking for help. I have often thought it would be nice to have a punching bag to take my frustrations out on.
least have you heard of Chewy? I order my dog food, cat food and litter from them. If you order enough and have it on authorship the delivery is free and yogurt a discount on the authorship items. Saves me having to carry 30 and 40 lb bags of dog food and litter. I have 2 cats and a 110 lb Shepherd.
Hi Hev and Alpine I hope you are doing well this weekend.
Zura I am glad you are getting energy back! Did you have Covid? Somehow I missed that.
Turs I love your bit about being present. And running through puddles with your grandson sounds perfect.
Fearless I need to strive not to judge as well. My mother was so open minded and fair. She set a good example for me that I am still learning to emulate.
(((PS))) thinking of you.
Free I am with you on the coffee gratefulness.

Grateful for the sunrise this morning over the Atlantic and dolphins! Also the birds were having a feeding frenzy. there must be a big school of baitfish out there right by the shoreline.
Grateful for our little beach getaway.
Grateful for my sobriety.
Grateful my mouth is still slowly healing and the Endodontist is available for my questions via text and phone even on the weekends. Still no antibiotics and hoping I don't need them but my gums are sore around the tooth.
Grateful for credit card points that made this stay affordable.
Grateful for all of you!

Old 01-15-2023, 06:06 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

PS. My heart goes out to you, I’m so sorry. I hope your mom finds peace, and your dad does too.
Prayers for you and your family too. It’s so hard.