Notices

Part 3 - Horselover's 10 nightly gratitude items.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

You are right about the Principal, Fandy. He is a father to 5 kids of his own and is VERY good with communicating with the students at son's school. I only stepped in because son was coming off the school bus in tears and that was too much for me. I had tried to tell him ways in dealing with the situation, but it was too much for him. The good news is the school's counselor is going to come to the class and speak to them about bullying and its effects. Sad that it starts so early, but it does and needs to be addressed.

I think I would love to learn more about it and get involved with some sort of teaching group with regard to the situation of bullying. I applied to a couple of at home typing jobs yesterday and so that's just to pay the bills, but the other would be a passionate interest and pursuit.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I was watching Friday Night Lights last night and the wife is now a guidance couselor at a low achieving school...she was passionate too! reminds me of HL.

I thought of you today because i was grocery shopping in wallyworld and saw the meatless faux-hamburger crumbles...front and center in the veggie stuff frozen case, $3.78 for a 14 ounce bag.

I paid $4.29 for a bottle of salad dressing at the regular grocery and it's $2.39 at wallyworld....crazy with the prices shooting up.

I am grateful that i can afford to buy food and not worry about it....i know others are not so lucky.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

sdaturday grats:

pushing through the day and accomplishing much....worked at my mother's house and also rented the upstairs apt. which will pay for the upkeep of the house until we decide to sell it.
grateful i went to visit my mother and tried to make her feel better...did not kick up a fuss at my brother who is causing me to do additional shopping for the holiday, idon't mind making the appetizers, but i have to drive them to his house then go and drive to pick up my mother....i will not biotch about it, because this might be the last holiday we bring mama out....it is a small thing and not worth picking at it...i can always whine here.

grateful for making the most out of the crappy weather... I just got my chores done and now can relax and hopefully get some much needed sleep tonight.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

(((Fandy))) Your family is lucky they have you.

Grateful for -

1. Having time with husband. We decided to scrap eating out because the place in Syracuse wanted him to take the test either tonight or tomorrow. He doesn't know which they decided because she never emailed back and so we decided to stay put.

2. Going to the grocery store with the money we would have spent on 1 dinner and getting tonight's dinner and a list of super foods. Goal of losing weight and getting more energy is slowing materializing.

3. Beautiful day today. Not a lot of wind and warm temps. I'll take it.

4. Being lazy and not getting much of anything accomplished today. Its ok to do that sometimes.

5. Looking forward to a Netflix movie that isn't a cartoon or goofy kids one. Maybe a suspense or drama or . . . Who knows!!

6. My cat that is looking for someone to curl up with for a nap.

7. My 2 dogs that need a bath desperately.

8. My son that is having fun at grandma's today.

9. The fact there's only 4 more weeks of school and then summer vacation. Yeah!

10. Sobriety and the gifts it has brought into my life each and every day.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Saturday grats for:

1. Reading about everybody else's gratitude. I know I say that every time, but it really means a lot to me to hear about what means the most to us, and what we might have lost.

2. People who helped me figure out a solution today to a work problem. Pretty peeved that it took up most of my Saturday but it was important and had to be done, so it's okay, and we got it figured out, so now I won't worry. And you know about me and worry

3. That we didn't get any tornadoes in our area today - there were some all around us but I haven't heard of anybody hurt, though there is some property damage. It poured!!!

4. My dog curling up next to me during the thunder and lightening part - she hates it! So I got to be The Big Protector

5. Eating a healthy salad for dinner. Trying to get back on my healthy eating plan after really pigging out on ice cream this past week. It doesn't matter if it's light ice cream if I eat twice as much!

6. Watching Netflix movies - you reminded me, HL - so fun to be able to just browse and pick anything I want. Love watching movies on a Saturday night. I can remember the days I thought if I wasn't "going out" somewhere it was a bust weekend. Now I crave doing all my little things at home. Going out is okay too, but just don't need to anymore.

7. My sis who called me just to make sure I was okay during the storm. Love having a sister to worry about me.

8. Going Barnes and Nobel-ing last night and buying a book just because I wanted it. I've been penny pinching a lot this year so this felt like a splurge!

9. Trusting in God to help me figure out how to handle things and my friends for helping too. Grateful that I'm learning to reach out for help more.

10. Grateful for my precious life and the GP!

Have a good rest of the weekend, everybody
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
6. Watching Netflix movies - you reminded me, HL - so fun to be able to just browse and pick anything I want. Love watching movies on a Saturday night. I can remember the days I thought if I wasn't "going out" somewhere it was a bust weekend. Now I crave doing all my little things at home. Going out is okay too, but just don't need to anymore.
I, too, love to watch Netflix... such a fabulous, inexpensive source of entertainment. Hanging out at home and being content is the norm for me and my family. Perrier water is on tap tonight. Oh, and Breyer's ice-cream was on sale for $2.97... we bought six different flavors.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

i love browsing B&N on line and downloading all the free samples of the new books...

it must be the time of year for ice cream sales...i have a stockpile of haagendaz and Ben & Jerry in the freezer...the HD containers are shrinking!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
haagendaz and Ben & Jerry in the freezer...the HD containers are shrinking!
I don't think we have Ben and Jerry's in Canada, I am going to check next time I go to the store -- I believe we have Haagendaz -- going check and maybe try some. Enjoy Fandy -- my whole family LOVES ice cream.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Sunday short-grats:

grateful that I decided to go back to the gym today after too long an absence....i forgot how good it feels to sweat....and i really need to work on my flexibility.
grateful for my teeny Ipod at the gym too....i enjoyed it.
grateful for a peaceful Sunday!
grateful that i did what I set out to do today in my house tasks
the RULES...of course!
grateful that we are one day closer to warm sunny days....it sure ain't spring here!
grateful that I do NOT have to cook tonight...i did enough yesterday!
grateful for finding Thai pepper plants...(they are quite elusive here most years)
grateful for not letting my anger fester into a hot mess.....
grateful for accepting what I need to do to improve myself, both physically and mentally.
grateful that I am not filled with anxiety and stress...happiness will come back at some point.

see everyone in the AM for coffee and grats.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Grateful for -

1. Our newest addition - Riley, a 3 year old beauty. Check out the Animal Grats.

2. My mom that made it possible for us to add another to our family today.

3. Petsmart for the good they do in the community.

4. Our netflix movie last night. It was a very good movie called "Keeping up with the Jones." Demi Moore and David something or other was in it.

5. A great dinner salad.

6. Husband having taken his test last night and even though he didn't know every answer, he did VERY goood.

7. Our pergola being half built thanks to husband's hard work today.

8. Son getting new sneakers today from my Mom. He was the one that begged for the cat and I was so happy to see he wanted a cat instead of a kitten. Love kittens, but wanted to adopt an older cat.

9. Sober weekend. Happy weekend. Family weekend.

10. Only 4 days of school for son this week. Yippee!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Awwww....Welcome to Horselover's Animal Haven and Spa, Riley! You're a lucky guy - you've got a great forever home! And HL, I know you and your crew think you're the lucky ones!

Good for you Fandy for getting back to the gym and for handling anger well too.

Grateful to spend a great day with my mom at an outdoor musical. We really had a good time together. Grateful to get to meet the guide dog who sat behind us - beautiful sweet black lab. I wanted to pet her SO BAD but I know better. So I cooed and fussed over her a lot instead.

Grateful I only groused for a minute or two upon discovering that somebody parked their gigantic minivan no kidding 3 inches from the drivers side of my car. Three inches!!!!!!!!!!! Had to climb in the other side ... whined and complained as I inched out of my space, then decided NOT to leave the crabby note I wanted to leave because who knows what kind of bad day the other guy was having. (I know...this should really be on Whiners...)

Grateful for this bowl of lite chocolate ice cream. I'm only having one!

Grateful that the upcoming work week will be lighter.

Grateful to have been spared any harm or property damage from the tornadoes that came through yesterday.

Grateful for the beautiful weather and hoping it reaches our northern and western GPers soon!

Grateful for sobriety and for being able to enjoy my life again - so grateful!

Nite all - sweet dreams
Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

grateful that Monday is over and I do not have to be at work tomorrow until the PM...I plan to spend the AM at the gym and running the wholesale club for easter food and cat litter.

grateful to be tired, because i had a night of up and down and flip around last night, i think I got 3 hours.

grateful I did not scream in the phone when my brother told me the oil bill for my mother's house was over $745.00Holy Reality Check!!!!we have to sell this place sooner rather than later...i am shooting for 2013 if the market comes up by then

grateful to download 2 new-er CDs to my teeny Ipod for the gym...
grateful that I know I can turn my anger into a really good body if i work hard and keep at it...(muscles have memory i hope).....i cannot wait to go back in and be in good enough shape to hit the body-bag...i will not bore you with my imagination pictures of what i am hitting.

grateful for chamomile tea, alieve for my achey body
grateful for those RULES!
grateful that the scale showed a 4 lb. loss this past week, I'll take that over going in the other direction!
grateful that I still CARE how to be healthy and reasonably attractive.
grateful that I know my future will be easier and less stressful...in the meantime, i will grin and bare it....because I do not need to stress out the rest of the family because i KNOW the earth does not revolve around my personal schedule.
grateful that I do not feel the need to control the universe today....I cannot control or cure other people's addictions...I need to remove them from my headspace hard-drive....I'm sorry that people are a$$holes and wish they were not, but it's really not my job to care.
grateful for not eating too much today...I replaced my morning 1/2 bagel with banana and strawberries....i survived the morning without carbs.....
grateful that I am not a hot mess of anxiety and stupidity.

see everyone in the AM for coffee and grats.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

what is a Pergola????

a lean-to? a cabana? (for the resident cabana boy)?

a stone patio???
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

This is a pergola and it looks very much like ours. http://www.bowerwoods.com/images/Rustic_Pergola_2.JPG I'll post a pic of ours when its done. We use them for shade out here in the west. It can be 10 degrees cooler under these things. No kidding! No humidity and only the sun is the form of heat and so get out of the sun and feel cool.

That oil bill - Holy Batman!!! That's obscene. I would sell and take a loss or maybe it wouldn't be if you calculate the cost of oil.

Grateful for -

Riley purring away as son and husband pet him all over.

We are all on the bed and Riley joined us. No other animal competition here as of now.

A pretty full moon.

A realtor showing up yesterday out of the blue because he "heard" we may be putting our house on the market. Said we were and he's welcome to bring clients by, but we are selling it ourselves when the time comes. He was very nice.

The winds having died down. I know you're tired hearing about them and we are just plain tired of them.

Sobriety.

God.

Family.

Friends.

Teachers. Found out our teachers are going on their 4th year without raises. So screwed up to cut our education and future. Our teachers are in no way overpaid around here. More like underpaid.

Legos. I seem to be finding them EVERYwhere I step in our house.

Good night all. Get some sleep tonight Fandy and I'll try to also.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

very pretty, reminds me of a grape arbor. some people have awnings attached to their decks here of screen houses for shade and bug prevention.

good that everyone is hanging together on the bed....give it a few weeks, they will be fine.....Fandy decided I needed a big fat cat butt in my face last night at 3AM...the dry food dish was empty...he is quite smart, but very annoying.

FWIW, I have not had a raise in 4 years either....i think my union contract is in limbo and I am a state govt. employee....the only way i can increase my income is to work more hours....I am afraid to turn down OT because I never know if it will be offered the following week......and OT $$$ is very helpful, I figure it covers my union dues, insurance payments and parking deck fee ($600. a year to park my car to go to work).

I am grateful to have a job that provides OT option, because I know others are in a much worse position....NJ is one of the most expensive states to live, my taxes are very high, car insurance, general cost of living
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Tuesday night gratting:

at the risk of repeating myself:

grateful to have been able to take the whole day off....went to the gym and got in a very satisfying work-out, lots of sweating, cardio, weights and listening to my ipod...my choice of older songs I loaded on 3 years ago is interesting....Amy Winehouse' Rehab, George Thorogood's songs about drinking heavily....I just chuckled to myself, like it is a private joke...only I am no longer the butt of it.

grateful that I am a better version of myself these days with a purpose and some natural energy.

grateful that I did some planting today(pink muhlenbergia grass)...now if I can just keep it alive this season!...like the fireball lillies...i suppose i like a challenge.

grateful that I got most of the grocery shopping done....i forgot the lox, but i can pick it up elsewhere.

finding a "bargain" on gas....$3.59 a gallon...i am still choking on the stupid prices.

grateful for true friends, kindness from my mother's church and keeping those enemies out of my head.

grateful to be one day closer to warm weather...this is a very cold, damp spring

grateful that prices on the pet foods did not go up.
grateful that i was frugal while shopping, no extras...but i really liked the 700 thread count sheets i saw.
grateful that this will be a short week at work.
grateful to be tired physically and hoping for a good night's sleep.

see you all in the very good sober morning!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I just chuckled to myself, like it is a private joke...only I am no longer the butt of it.
LOVE THIS!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Sneezy's new kitty-bunny reminds me of the commercial for the Cosmopolitan Hotel in /Vegas..."just the right amount of wrong"...LOL

Humor is one of my MOST important grats....if we can laugh at least once a day, it's like a happy vitamin.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Humor is one of my MOST important grats....if we can laugh at least once a day, it's like a happy vitamin.
I am SO with you on this one Fandy... laughter is the best medicine.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I will post about animal happiness in the proper thread...but I was grateful to watch little Pookie this morning...He knows how to live in the moment.