Notices

Animals We Love Grats

Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Fandy I have to laugh cause I think you must have missed some of the posts?

The reason Princess wasn't eating is cause I found out she has hairballs, so I came on here and asked what I should do, and a very wise person said put flax seed oil, or fish oil in her food. I had some flax seed oil cause I use it, so I put some in her Deli Cat well she wouldn't eat it for the life of me, so I gave in and threw it out.

Her teeth are great so far (knock on wood)

With all those kitties have you ever dealt w/hairballs, what did you do?

Anyway Princess woke me up at 4am to play again and now she's almost back to sleep and I am up

Have an awesome Sat
Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I feed mostly raw (cats too) and when I do get pellets or canned food for the cats, I intentionally switch brands and types so they don't get picky. As a result, they will eat just about anything I put in the bowls.

Good thought about Princess's teeth - if she has bad breath, she may have an infected tooth or abcess. Discolored teeth and/or a red line along the gums is also a sign she may need dental intervention.

Oops, newbie we posted at the same time!

Long ago when I had a cat with hairballs during shedding season, I got that flavored mineral oil paste and smeared it on her thighs. Easy for her to get to, but hard for her to flick off, you have to smear it on there pretty well.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

i have seen hairballs the size of squirrels on my carpets, bed and floors....

everyone except Pookie has long big hair. i think the fish oil caps. are a good idea, mine always passed them in a day or two, but yes, drop in appetite. the Krill oil capsules are very tiny and might be easier to pill her. I am very good at giving meds and clipping claws....i refuse to give up and they seem to give in and accept it...i do the throat rub afterwards, but hold the mouth shut and firmlly grip the front feet .

hope it all comes out either end.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Hey you guys thanks for some great ideas, the pills well I am thinking that isn't gonna go over to well for either one of us, but the flavored mineral oil paste that might be the ticket? Where do I get that as I have never heard or seen it before?.

I think all you cat & dog lovers on here should get together and publish a book. I have gotten so much knowledge from you guys

Last edited by newby1961; 03-12-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: left out word lol
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Any pet store should have it.

I've published three books on dogs.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

That lizard that I shared a picture is a boy... this is my littlest girl's lizard, she take REALLY good care of him.

We buy our adopted bishon frise organic dog food, for the last 6 months... trying to see if it will reduce here seizures, it does seem to help.

We do buy bones for here to chew on as well. She doesn't like other type of treats.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Exclamation

Asking for your prayers for Nikko, my diabetic boy, as his cataract in his right eye (the worst one) is now a red color. Just noticed it today and it's scaring the hell out of me. He's not showing any signs of discomfort or itching or pain, just a brick red color of his right cataract. My vet is supposed to call me in a while to talk about it. I'm terrified something is very wrong. Please pray that his cataract goes back to it's normal grey color and that nothing is permanently wrong with him. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

I am grateful for grateful pet owners. We really don't own them, but own the responsibility for them is how I look at it.

Prayers for Nikko least.

Fandy, hairballs the size of squirrels? Reminds me of when one of my cats ate a rabbit. Found just the feet under my kitchen table!

I miss my cats, so am enjoying all of yours (dogs and others too) now.

Picky eaters? Heaven forbid lol! Even the "street cats" here are picky. Some people buy them dry food, Whiskas, Purina etc. but they like leftovers the best. Will sit looking forlorn at a pile of dry food, but chomp down a chicken leg bone in short order. People throw scraps from their balconies, and it looks like Mardi Gras. Not a skinny one among them.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Any word on Nikko's eye, least? Prayers and paws crossed it's nothing serious.

ste, at my last house my neighbor and I fed stray cats...which was a mistake because we attracted droves of them. When my neighbor moved, I was the only one feeding them and I don't think my neighbors appreciated it. I caught and had a few spay/neutered but ended up feeling responsible for the kittens getting born under the porch (still have one) and when I moved, decided not to put food outside. Not as many stray/ferals around here and the ones I see look quite fat and healthy.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The red color in his cataract comes and goes. Right now it's brick red and scaring me. Other than that, he seems to be healthy and doing alright. Good appetite and not acting like he's in pain or anything. I'll end up taking him to the vet tomorrow to get it looked at. Still asking for prayers.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

least, prayers for Nikko.

Stevie1,
I never fed strays in the States, never saw a situation like here. Its interesting, the strays are more like communal pets. I've only seen one old "Babushka" complain vehemently. She complained the food attracts flies (she lives on the first floor), don't put the food close to the building. She doesn't coplain in the winter.

Some complain they do their "business" in the stairwells, but you will never see them in the stairwells, they're too smart. Its the kept cats that do it in the stairwells. The strays live in the heated basement, and don't do their "business" there either.

Sorry to say, the population cotrol is done the old fashioned way. The spay/neuter concept hasn't made much ground here.

All in all, they are happy cats, and don't want to be "kept". Some like ear massages though.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

least, I haven't a clue what that could be but since he's not in pain, hopefully it's not that big of a deal. Report back tomorrow, please!

ste - there are "trap-neuter-release" programs in some cities here...but it takes money and dedication; there's nothing like that where I live. There are tons and tons of stray and feral cats. All four of mine were strays - the kitten I took with me when I moved was quite feral and I don't think anyone will ever be able to pick him up. He's very flighty.

Mine do go outside, but one of my criteria when I was looking for another house last summer was it had to be a safe place for cats to go outside. I'm on a semi-rural street that dead-ends into fields, have three city lots with woods off to one side. Two of my cats lived inside-outside at my last house, which was very busy and urban. I think they'd be miserable if they couldn't go out and climb trees!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I live in a wooded area and if food is put out for the stray cats, the raccoons, skunks will also come by and eat it....we also have a fox in the general area (that went after my friend's cat last year) and intermittent coyote sightings....they may be rabid which is frightening.....at one time there was a raccoon sitting on the front lawn at 3PM in the sunlight...my mother refused to get out of the car....i agreed with her.

the most excitement we had in the backyards was a 300 lb. black bear, he sat on the neighbor's deck and disassembled her bird feeder....that was 3 years ago.

my kitties stay indoors and i have to keep the windows closed as Fandy pushed his fat head through the screen last year
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts Nikko's way, Least.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Princess and I are sending meow's and prayers NiKKo's way

Stevie 3 books would you either post the names and what they are about either here or PM me?

So I cooked a Chicken and some of the fat I put in Princess's food she gobbled it up and so I am thinking since it had grease in it that should help?

Her hairballs aren't too bad yet as it was a rather small one and the 1st one I have seen in months.

OMG the cat ate the rabbit, the feet are good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nikko's bad cataract is a light pink this morning, not as bad as it was, and he's still showing no sign of discomfort so will play it by ear and see how it goes. Thank you for your prayers.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I borrowed some money this morning and am taking Nikko to the vet this afternoon for a look-see. I noticed yesterday after his walk that the cataract was very red, maybe exercise makes it bleed more, don't know, will ask the vet today. He's still doing everything a normal healthy dog does and seems to be in no discomfort at all. Will let you all know what the vet says.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Sincerely hope all goes well for Nikko, Least.
I have four cats and one dog. One of my cats, Gravy (my daughter named him when she was six), is my buddy. Every night, he lays by my side, purrs like a John Deere Model D tractor, and gives me tremendous joy. A avid talker, he always has a comment to anything I say to him. My other cats and dog are also very loved and enjoyed, but Gravy has that special bond with me.

Don't tell the other animals, ok?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Poor Nikko please let us know how he is doing

My cap Princess is also an avid talker lol:rotfxko

That would be cat not cap

Last edited by newby1961; 03-15-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Unhappy Prayers needed for Nikko

Nikko has glaucoma in his right eye from the huge cataract in it. Vet's going to call in a scrip for eyedrops that are supposed to relieve the pressure in the eye by reducing the production of the eye's fluid. Also an oral med to accomplish the same goal in a different way.

What will probably happen, sooner or later, is that his eye will have to be removed when/if it gets painful. Right now he's in no discomfort that I can tell so we're going to start him on these two meds and see how it goes. Will take him back to the vet in a week or two to measure the pressure in his bad eye and see if the two meds are having any effect in lowering the fluid/pressure in his eye.

His left eye is completely normal, except for the small partial cataract and the pressure is normal in that eye, so that's good.

I will welcome prayers for Nikko's good health.