Notices

Animals We Love Grats

Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Newby - yep the can of compressed air...cats hate the SSSSSound.

least - that's one of the best youtubes evah.

Zube, I am so glad Mister is OK and you're both recovering! What kind of dog is he? Looks Boston terrier-ish...

My dogs and cats are a big part of my sobriety (and sanity) too. Hair and all!

I just let Blazer out to totter around the house. He tried climbing into my lap but he's still pretty sore. The other dogs seem to know not to be rough with him, they all sniffed him then gave him space. Even Monster the foster pit bull mix puppy. He's back in his crate now. Dang he is a cute little dog!

Animal Control called this morning to see how he was, nobody's called or been in looking for him I guess. If nobody claims him, once he's better he'll be up for adoption with the rescue I work with. I think it will be easy to find him a good home, he's small, young and very appealing.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Stevie1-

Thanks! "Mister" is half "Boston Terrier" and half "neighborhood tramp" (I think pit, but not sure)...? We do know that the mom was Boston Terrier, we are just not sure who her sugar daddy was. LOL.

Zube
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Stevie1-

Thanks! "Mister" is half "Boston Terrier" and half "neighborhood tramp" (I think pit, but not sure)...? We do know that the mom was Boston Terrier, we are just not sure who her sugar daddy was. LOL.

Zube
Heh...I figured some sort of bully-dog in the mix, pit bull is a good bet. He's got a great smile.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I often blow in my cat's face to make him go away. Don't know if it's the air in his face or my breath.

That beagle pup sure is cute. Damn the SUV that didn't even stop. Heartless b@stards...
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Damn the SUV that didn't even stop. Heartless b@stards...
I know huh...not the first time I've seen that.

Blazer is out in the "general population" right now. He's getting a bit growly and defensive with Royce, but it's fine...he was getting too appehensive about the other dogs while in the crate so it's good that he's able to realise the dogs here are quite harmless.

Royce has a very charming and stable temperament considering he is a hormone-addled teenage Rottweiler, and backs off respectfully. He's following Blazer around the house but being friendly about it. Now they are circling and sniffing each other's Important Bits. LOL.

The other dogs have checked him out and determined he's not interesting because a: he is not a threat and b: he doesn't want to play. So they're like "meh" and ignoring him.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

those sheep w/the lights were so cool thanks for posting that

Talking about pits has anyone seen the show on tv about shorty and his pitbull rescue its awesome its about little people(midgets) they do some awesome work. Pit Bulls have a real bad name based on a few bad ones.

I had better go wake up Princess its way to early for her to sleep she will be waking me up at 3am again
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Never seen the show (pit boss?) but have heard of it. I am of several minds about pit bulls and other fighting breeds. Bottom line though, it's the owners, and there are too many irresponsible owners.

Blazer is being a velcro dog and follows me everywhere. Monday I am taking him in to be scanned for a microchip. I still hope for finding his owner...but state law says seven days and the dog is yours if you made a diligent effort to find an owner. He'll be available in a week if not claimed...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Jeeze...Stevie, just hit this thread to read the story of the beagle. The poor wittle thing. He doesn't look very old at all. Its too bad that people let their animals 'go' and don't care about their demise. Sad, so sad.
I hope you can find him a nice happy home with little kids that just love him to pieces.

I just heard through my family grapevine that my brother is finally getting a pup for his two young boys. We never had a dog growing up and he's never had one all his adult life -and he's hitting 50. I couldn't live that long without a furry companion. His kids are elated....such excitement in their household this week!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

How cool ER I believe every kid should have some sort of pet growing up

Princess has hairballs and I tried this stuff Hartz hairball remedy plus. It is supposed to taste good and it says to put it on her paw so she can lick it off, well being the little she-devil she is, all she does is wipe her paw all over the carpet, so unless my carpet has hairballs?

Grateful for my Princess

Last edited by newby1961; 03-05-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

An excellent remedy for hairballs is putting a tsp of mazola corn oil on their food, dry or canned, and it allows the hairballs to slide right thru their digestive tract. Flax oil would do the same thing and would give them omega 3 fatty acids as well. I put it on my dogs and cats food and have no trouble with hairballs. (flax oil is a lot more expensive than mazola corn oil tho)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Fish oil is good too...the kind for people is fine, just poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze onto food.
Also if Princess doesn't mind being brushed, that would help too...I love love love my Furminator!

ER - yay for your brother! What kind of puppy?

Blazer is young, maybe not more than a year old. Perhaps there is someone looking for him but they don't know how to go about it?

La Fiona is in her element. FOUR boy dogs to be the boss of.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Funny you said Flax Oil Seed I just happen to have some. I started taking it because a year ago I was newly diagnosed w/diabetes

I was scard to use it though cause I thought any kind of oil would give her the runs? Exactly how much should I use?

You are the best Stevie w/all your pet advise
Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't need much flax oil for a cat. I'd say no more than a teaspoon per day. You can mix it up in cat food, wet or dry. I put it on my cats dry food that I give them once a day. Dogs too, in each meal. Cats and dogs are all very healthy and shiny too. I give them wheat germ too. Flax oil is expensive tho. I pay about $18 for 16 oz. Keep it in the fridge with the wheat germ. Expensive, but worth it for the good health of all my critters.

As for the runs, start with a tiny bit and work up to a tsp, that way it shouldn't shock her system into the runs.

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-flaxseed-oil.html#

One of the reasons I give it to my dogs is that one of them is diabetic and flax oil is said to be helpful for diabetes.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Fish oil is better (and cheaper) because it's animal and not plant based...making it much more bio-available to carnivores. Grain-based foods aren't as useful as animal-based ones for carnivores and their bodies have to go through more processes to utilize grain-or vegetable-based fats.

The Essential PUFA Guide For Dogs And Cats

The wheat germ (or vit E caps) is a good idea; higher levels of essential fatty acids in food - dogs and cats need much higher levels of fat than humans, they utilize it differently - ******* assimilation of vitamin E.

Also...a 100% grain-based dry diet is not good for cats, generally. If you add some canned or raw or other non-dry food daily, you may find the hairball problem goes away completely.

(I don't mean to come across too pedantic but I have researched and written/published extensively on this sort of thing so I tend to get a bit geeky about it.)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Never seen the show (pit boss?) but have heard of it. I am of several minds about pit bulls and other fighting breeds. Bottom line though, it's the owners, and there are too many irresponsible owners.

Yes, as I always say...There are no bad dogs only bad dog owners.

I watch the Pit Boss on occassion...its ok.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful for my early riser, little Jack, lying on my rug while I drink my coffee. His devotion is wonderful to see and does my heart good. There's no love like dog love.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

No worries stevie I am always grateful for any sound advice and as far as this topic I don't mind at all if you care to talk at length about it, I love my Princess.

The icky part though is I put some flseed oil in her food yesterday and it is still sittting there she hasn't touched it? I am thinking maybe I should throw it out but I figure when she gets hungry enough she'll eat it, at least thats what I have always been told?

Thanks for the link for the guide for cats & dogs I will check it out.

Have a great day all
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Oh PS, whatever I wrote about oil was relative to skin and coat, not diabetes like least said...I know diabetic dogs and cats have very different dietary requirements and I'm not as knowlegeable as least on that count.

Cats are picky and dislike new food, I wouldn't count on her eating it! Maybe some canned salmon/mackerel/sardines? Also very high in EFAs.

I tried to get a photo of the five dogs here sitting nicely for treats. Didn't work out too well. LOL.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A little blurry but still a cute pic of them waiting for their treats.

Tonight I'm grateful for my dogs' good health. Two are special needs and are in great shape for their age/condition. I am so happy that they are normal in behavior and body functions. I am also grateful that I'm happily sober to take good care of them.

I don't know what I'd do without my dogs but I know it would be lonely as hell.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I can't imagine life without my dogs.