Notices

Animals We Love Grats

Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Macy is a cutie. Thank you for sharing pix of your animal friends.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Not the greatest photo...two of my dogs running at the lake beach today. I love dreary days because it's very rare that anyone else is at the lake, so I can let the dogs off leash to run their hearts out without worring about people who are afraid or offended (as if!) about my dogs.

They're well-behaved and come right away when I call them, anyway. I walked the beach trail three times (about three miles) while they bounded and sniffed and chased and ran.

It felt great because this week I've been off working a lot, or the weather has been vile. I'm so looking forward to spring when we can do longer hikes!

Royce the rambunctious Rottweiler pup is still having limpy issues so unfortunately his exercise is restricted and he didn't get to come to the beach.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I am so jealous, I want Macy!

During quite a few of my growing-up years we had goats (for milk and dairy products, primarily - Saanens and Toggenbergs). I wish, wish, wish I could have goats where I live. I love goats.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread!!!

I am a professional pet care provider..and have two beautiful kitties..Boo Boo and Allie...I am so grateful for my business and for my babies!! I don't know what I would do without both!!
Animal Lovers RULE!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

professional pet care provider

How cool is that? What services do you provide? I'm curious about your job duties. Might be a bit dirty sometimes but would also be cool, working for/with animals.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

I just found this thread, and I'm loving all the pictures! I'm so grateful for my golden retriever. I got him for my 12th birthday when he was 2 months old, so we've spent much of our lives together. I miss him when I'm away at college, like now! All animals are wonderful but big dogs are my favorite.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Got a pic of him? We'd love to see it. I love hearing about and seeing other peoples' pets.

I've got 'custody' of my daughter's cat while she's in school. I love my grandkitty and give him catnip toys. He loves Grandma.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post

Not the greatest photo...two of my dogs running at the lake beach today.
Those two personify happiness... That IS a great picture . Sorry Royce didn't get to play
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I am so jealous, I want Macy!

During quite a few of my growing-up years we had goats (for milk and dairy products, primarily - Saanens and Toggenbergs). I wish, wish, wish I could have goats where I live. I love goats.
That can be arranged! LOL

Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Wonderful thread!!!

I am a professional pet care provider..and have two beautiful kitties..Boo Boo and Allie...I am so grateful for my business and for my babies!! I don't know what I would do without both!!
Animal Lovers RULE!!!
We had a boarding/grooming business until my ex and I separated. Although I miss all the doggies and lovin on them...I need to do what's best for me at this point of my life -especially with the sobriety thang going on..
My landlord has agreed to let me add more lighting in the basement so I can groom during my busy season. Yay!! I'm so excited...I have all kinds of plans going thru my head.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Here's another one just for the heck of it. This is Shaylee and her baby Ashlee.
Ashlee was no bigger than that ice cream bucket!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Oh, TOO CUTE Emerald!!!! Love them
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

OMG how cute are they? I grew up in the city so the only time I saw a goat was on TV or a zoo lol.

Good to see new people on here

Grateful to all the people who work w/animals

Lastly Grateful Princess didn't wake me up at 3am she waited till 4am:rotfxko
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Welcome Love and Watch!

Goats....ahhh. Maybe one day.
Has anyone heard of fainting goats?
Fainting goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fainting goats have many other names, including Myotonic Goats, Tennessee (Meat) Goats, Nervous Goats, Stiff-leg Goats, Wooden-leg Goats, and Tennessee Scare Goats..."

About nine years ago I decided to get a herding title on a previous Rottweiler and took him for training. I ended up not sticking with it...he wasn't a natural herder and the closest place to train was just once a week, an almost 4 hour round trip drive.

Anyway, puppies were started on geese, older dogs on sheep, and the farm also had a herd of fainting goats wandering loose. One of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was Cooper's reaction when he went to "say hi" to a fainting goat and it flipped over onto its back, legs sticking up in the air. Coop's reaction was a mixture of OMG!!!111! and WTF!!11! and "hey I didn't mean to hurt it!"

When I was a kid in the UK we had milk goats who would often escape, and being social sorts, would wander into the house if the door was open. I wonder if milking goats is like riding a bicycle? I milked them daily when I was a kid; it's been over 30 years though.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Here is a picture of a rotti that we board. Obviously he is a sweetheart and loves to play with my cavalier.
They can be trained for just about anything -if 'they get it'. For herding you are best with a working dog e.g. border collie, heeler, corgi, etc.
No, never had fainters -they'd always be stiff because of all the excitement of dogs coming/going at the kennel. LOL

Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
For herding you are best with a working dog e.g. border collie, heeler, corgi, etc.

That's a lovely Rottweiler!
I have a soft spot for CKCs as well.

Actually Rottweilers in the AKC "working" group but they are the only (I believe) non-herding group breed eligible for AKC herding titles.
The dogs you mention are in the herding group (pastoral in KC.)

AKC/UKC/KC and other breed/group-specific titles are often restricted. Non-sight hounds are not eligible for coursing & lure titles; field and hunting titles are restricted to certain breeds as well.

General titles, like agility, obedience, tracking etc are open to all registered dogs in almost every venue.

Rottweilers were bred as all-purpose farm dogs and one of their primary functions was herding. They have a very different style to BCs (who use "the eye" - I grew up with working BCs), or heelers or Corgis (who nip heels, hence the heeler moniker, and many do this to people too) - Rottweilers have a very physical, domineering method of herding (big surprise) - they pick the dominant animal and control them; the others follow.

Herding is modified prey drive; Coop had a ton of other drive but not high prey drive. He wanted to make friends with the sheep and eat their poop.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

; Coop had a ton of other drive but not high prey drive. He wanted to make friends with the sheep and eat their poop.
LOL This Rotti is the same way hence his name "Kitty". LOL
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

ER Kitty I love it

Princess has wanted tons of attention today and won't even let me pee by myself

Gotta love our pets
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I work with a local rescue and took home this little black Shih Tzu last night. He was found on a busy road...groomed & clipped, neutered, friendly, house trained. Someone is looking for him I'm sure; but he has no tags on his collar and is not microchipped. I posted on craigslist and a friend called a few vets and grooming places. It was too late to call the Humane Society and Animal Control, I will do that this morning.

He kept attacking my poor widdle Rottweiler puppy though! I had to put Royce in his crate for a while for his own protection last night until the little shih calmed down. Royce is only nine months old and is very tolerant - I've had several foster dogs here since I got him so that's a good education for him! Couldn't put little shih in a crate, he got extremely stressed out and drooled.

They all calmed down last night and little shih (hey, I'll call him Ellis, ie L.S., for now) spent the night on my office chair.

Cross fingers that he gets reunited with his owners today!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
LOL This Rotti is the same way hence his name "Kitty". LOL
Kitty LOL that is cute.
Actually Cooper was a complete aszhole around other dogs, he was quite dog-aggressive. Although he was geat around puppies and little bitty dogs and cats. I had hundreds, possibly thousands, of hours training and working with him so I could compete with him and have him off-leash under voice command around other dogs.