new NEE.D ADVICE for Daughter

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new NEE.D ADVICE for Daughter

Hello. Ive been reading a while now and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here.

My daughter is 21, she just came home from college for the summer and has admitted an opiate addiction. She rather had to admit it, but I will maybe discuss all that later, right now Im worried about treatment for her.

We went to our regular physician for advice, and he has given us a list of detox centers close to home, and says she will need follow up care.

We are going to get her into detox on Monday. We are trying to decide how to handle rehab, outpatient, or what is best for her.

If you could please share your experience and advice, would be very grateful.

thank you.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just starting this same problem myself....so my heart goes out to you. My daughter is 24 and refusing any real treatment...won't go to detox, rehab, outpatient, meetings...says she can handle it with once a week therapy with her regular therapist.

This is HARD, really hard...talk to other parents who have been through it, read here and post...this takes an extreme emotional toll on those who love an addict.

i can't do much more now than to share in your pain...:ghug3
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There are many parents here so you will get a great deal of support.

It would be helpful I think to know what your daughter wants at this point. Is she committed to a recovery plan? Which options does she think are best for her?

Also, was this the recommendation of her doctor made after meeting with her?

Again....welcome and hugs to you from another parent here as you work through this!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies.

My daughter realizes she needs help to stop. She said she tried before and ended up terribly sick and went back on. She said the way it is done now is that you use a method called ROD (rapid opiate detoxification).

Your admitted to the hospital and put under sedation while your body goes through withdrawls using special medicine. You wake up and the withdrawls don’t exist. She had a friend who did this at Easter break from college and was fine after.

Our family doctor gave us the name of a clinic and we contacted them and set it up for Monday because my husband has to be out of town tomorrow and Friday. Insurance wont cover it and it is over ten thousand . But we don’t know what else to do and neither of us want to see her in pain. My husband in particular is having a hard time becasuse his daughter is his princess.
We are thinking about counseling sessions for follow up, and she has agreed. We talked about rehab but it looks like the good ones are not local and she doesn’t want to leave home for it.

That is where we are at right now.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can only offer what I know from experience with my 21-year-old AS (opiate/heroin).

Detox, whether medical (with medication dispensed, usually suboxone), or a "cold-turkey" method, is a usually a three to eight-day inpatient stay (length depending on severity of symptoms). Insurance refused to pay for my son's recent medical detox because he was not "sick enough"; in fact, he was discharged from the med detox after only two days because the physician in charge saw no reason for him to be there (he wasn't convulsing or experiencing other acute withdrawal).

So admission to detox (if you're counting on insurance to cover some of the cost) can be tricky in my experience. Just a head's up--much depends on your daughter's length/amount of use and whether she is using up until admission. It's probably safe to say that if she isn't experiencing acute withdrawal symptoms, there may be some issues surrounding her "eligibility" for inpatient detox.

In my experience, admission to rehab, whether inpatient or intensive outpatient, has required the addict to be clean. Some programs will immediately discharge individuals if they fail a drug test during the program, some do not, as relapse is more widely understood to be a "normal" (is anything about these situations normal?) part of recovery. So there are rehab programs that work with relapsing addicts as part of the treatment. Depends on the program and its philosophy of care.

That being said, any reputable facility will have staff knowledgeable about what happens after the detox period. They will make recommendations about the appropriateness of inpatient rehab, intensive outpatient programs, and those programs themselves make assessments and recommendations for what happens after the client has completed that stage. It really has to be taken a step at a time. So much hinges on the addicted individual's engagement with the treatment.

I'm assuming since you mentioned going to your regular physician that your daughter was part of that visit. If so, that's a positive sign, and it's good to have your family doctor aware of and supporting recovery. Another thing to bear in mind that at 21, your daughter is an adult in the eyes of the law and the health care system. She will be expected to take the lead role in all of her treatment--in my experience, not every professional involved will be willing to speak with you unless your daughter gives her express, written permission.

If you haven't attended any Naranon or Alanon or Families Anonymous meetings, now would be the time (any time is a good time when dealing with an addict). Online meetings of these groups are also available, but in-person attendance is very helpful, often crucial for the loved ones of the addict. Dealing with addiction is a marathon, not a sprint, and building a network of support can mean the difference between staying sane and healthy yourself and feeling as though you're losing your mind and your health.

Sending you and your daughter blessings as you seek help and healing.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and sorry to hear you are joining in the dubious population who has been exposed to the nefarious world of addiction.

Please do not underestimate what you have stumbled upon.

Visiting some nar-anon or na meetings in your area could quickly help you understand just what a beast addiction is, even for your own middle class college student daughter. Addiction is equally nefarious across the board, and requires those around addicts to quickly learn the ropes, or you will be lied to, stolen from, blatantly and shamelessly manipulated, and have your lives and life savings quickly decimated if you do not plunge in now and learn what you are up against.

Do not underestimate addiction.

SR is a goldmine of experience and wisdom, telling hard truths.

CLMI
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are considering ROD, it might be wise to learn more about it. Knowledge is power, as they say. There is some controversy surrounding rapid detox, and there are plenty of articles and information available about it online. If a friend of hers used the ROD method, can you speak with that person or, even better, the parents? Is the friend still clean and sober? Participating in any follow-up treatment/care?

I think I can safely say that most parents of addicted children here on SR will agree that there is no "magic bullet" for addiction, or even for detoxing. Detoxing from opiate addiction, whether rapid, ultra-rapid (names for it vary with facility), medically-managed or cold-turkey involves some pain, and staying clean and sober usually requires a clearly-delinieated follow-up plan. Even ROD usually involves up to six months of after-care with an opiate blocker and therapy.

As catlovermi mentioned, do not underestimate addiction. Gather your own facts, do your own research if you are so inclined. It is obvious you love your precious daughter--as we all love our addicted children--but many of us have learned the very hardest way that pain is not the problem--avoiding it at all costs is. Some might even say therein lies the very heart of addiction: the unwillingness or inability to endure legitimate suffering.

It's good that your daughter admits that she needs help. Has she shared with you why she did not reach out for help when she quit before, became sick, and then went back to using?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My RAS is 22 and has had issues with opiates. (oxy/smoking heroin)

We have never sent him to a rehab. Too expensive and plenty of people have burned up all their equity, savings or retirement only to have the addict relapse shortly afterwards.

Back in 2009 we paid for him to go the Banner Outpaient Program.
This was where he was introduced to recovery and all the tools that go with it.

He has slipped several times since then, but each time he was ready to get back on the wagon he knew exactly where to go and who to call.

He detoxed himself each time.

I recommend a Sober Living Environment as well so you don't have to play warden and can work on your own recovery.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. My daughter did go with us to the family doctor, and she went with us to the detox center and spoke to the doctor there. They also did a drug test on her. There was one point when that doctor wanted to talk to her alone, but otherwise we were included.

Her friend that went throughthe ROD process is someone she went to school with. Her parents dont live near us, and we cant use the same detox, but I did talk to one of the parents and they said it worked well for her. She did go one some midication for about a month and tapered off it. They didnt want her on it for long because it can also be abused.

Our daughter says she will need it too because she is still afraid she will have cravings. It is all so horrible to even think about how this happened.
Right now she is still using because she is afraid to stop, although she said she it trying to taper down on her own. I dont really know. We have asked her not to go out but to stay home until she gets into treatment. She is moody and bored, but she also doesnt want her friend here to know what she has been doing. None of them use drugs according to her.
Her boyfriend does know, and he has been supportive and coming to visit here but he is working this summer and doesnt have a lot of time.
He has threatened to break up with her if she doesnt get herself cleaned up and I think that is part of her motivation.

My husband and I have been reading and talking to as many people as possible. We feel like we have to hurry and make this decision and get her into treatment. I am so worried about her being home and using these drugs but I know seh will get sick if she just stops. I feel like the worst mother for not seeing all this before it got to this point.

Thank you for your help. Keep it coming please
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeavsDad View Post
My RAS is 22 and has had issues with opiates.

We have never sent him to a rehab. Too expensive and plenty of people have burned up all their equity, savings or retirement only to have the addict relapse shortly afterwards.

Back in 2009 we paid for him to go the Banner Outpaient Program.
This was where he was introduced to recovery and all the tools that go with it.

He has slipped several times since then, but each time he was ready to get back on the wagon he knew exactly where to go and who to call.

I recommend a Sober Living Environment as well so you don't have to play warden and can work on your own recovery.
Did you have any worries about having your son go to rehab and especially sober living when he is really spending all his time with other people who are addicts? I cant consider my daughter an addict at this point. Maybe it is denial on my part. My husband and I would prefer her to disassociate with anyone who uses drugs, even if they are in recovery. It seems so much safer.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are at ground-zero where a lot of us have been. Most of us would love a chance to go back and do it differently armed with the knowledge and experience that we have now.

Take a deep breath and read as much as you can here and absorb it.

Learn and believe the 3 C's.
Believe that your daughter doesn't have a unique or special addiction.
Know that you don't love her more than we love our children.

If she wants to quit she will. Look for actions, don't listen to excuses.
Many people have detoxed without racking up a 10K bill.

Follow on therapy is free at NA/AA meetings.

You have already started playing warden...

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I cant consider my daughter an addict at this point. Maybe it is denial on my part. My husband and I would prefer her to disassociate with anyone who uses drugs, even if they are in recovery. It seems so much safer."

If she's not an addict, then she doesn't need to detox.
You are in denial.
It doesn't matter what you prefer, she's an adult. She is going back to college right?

My son has a bit over a year clean now and pretty much only associates with others in recovery...because they understand.

When they want to go to "normal" parties, they use the buddy system and leave before things get crazy.

I don't believe he is "cured" by any means. He is still young, but he works an active recovery.

I know it is one day at a time. Thats why I'm still here.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsthepop View Post
Did you have any worries about having your son go to rehab and especially sober living when he is really spending all his time with other people who are addicts? I cant consider my daughter an addict at this point. Maybe it is denial on my part. My husband and I would prefer her to disassociate with anyone who uses drugs, even if they are in recovery. It seems so much safer.
Keep reading, itsthepop. Keep reading. There is a vast amount of invaluable information on this web site for someone who is new to the world of addiction. You owe it to yourself, your daughter, and your family to educate yourself. There isn't anything special about your daughter. The information on this forum applies to all addicts and families of addicts. Beavsdad has already shared wise words. Others will be along to share, too. But don't sit around and wait. Keep reading.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My advice is to learn as much about addiction as you can. It was a shocker to me to learn about my son's life as an addict. His stories were like a documentary on television.

I've never read any stories here about the rapid opiate detox--how well it works. Afterwards your daughter will need further counseling/meetings with other addicts. Detox is only the physical side of addiction. There is also the mental, emotional side to work on.

My son went to a 28 day rehab. It did him a world of good. It was difficult. He would complain to us. He wanted to see a doctor for drugs to make it easier on him. Thank goodness for the counselor who assured us he was as well as could be expected. After the third week my son began to feel better.

After rehab my son went to weekly sessions with a counselor. We paid for the sessions and he seemed to get a lot out of the sessions.

What was a hinderance was his living at home. He was not working or contributing in any way. It's hard as parents to say shape up or ship out. After seven months he moved in with his girlfriend. He seems to be doing better now, is working and contributing. He no longer sees the counselor. Personally I think he needs more counseling. It was only a year ago that he was in rehab and I doubt he's out of the woods yet.

I don't think it is an ideal situation for our son. I would like to see him attending AA or NA, but it is not my life to live.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't offer specific advice around medical detox for opiates - my AS had a different DOC.

I do know that there are several inpatient/30 day rehab places that offer an initial medically supported detox. Your doctor or a therapist specializing in addiction would be a good resource for referrals in your area. Insurance coverage for inpatient coverage is possible so you may want to reconsider this approach. Your daughter will be very inwardly focused initially and will need to be able to spend some selfish time developing recovery tools. My son found this to be an essential 1st step in his recovery. Initially he also "didn't want to unplug and go away" for 30 days - but after the first 15 days he admitted it was the best thing he could have done for himself. The rehab then helped him put a more long term recovery strategy in place for himself and they are there for him anytime he may need added support.

Of course everyone is different! My son and I looked at the initial detox and rehab as a start - the hard work comes after both for him and for me.

He works on his recovery and I work on mine - my recovery being staying out of his way so that he can do what he needs to do and not enabling.

As for association with other people in recovery; well, they are my son's lifeline! It is particularly difficult for young adults (particularly in a college/party setting) to stay sober. I think the more association addicts actively working a recovery program can have with each other the better! (Main tenant of AA/NA/Al-Anon and this site too!) They come up with support networks, alternate "sober" activities, support each other while in the company of recreational users and basically are a safe place to land and talk.

Everyone is different and there are many approaches. It is a good thing your daughter wants to work on this.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are not the worst mother--you are the best mother because you love your daughter and I assume have always acted in good faith. You didn't know what you didn't know. When you know better, you do better.

There are always risks for individuals who have become physically and psychologically dependent upon their drug of choice. I also understand how emotionally shocking the word "addict" can be when you associate it with your beloved child. Be gentle with yourself through this time. The parents here on SR have been where you are, felt those fears, that guilt, that almost overwhelming desire to do anything at all to "fix" the problem, "fix" the person.

As far as concerns about associating with other addicts, whether in formal treatment programs or support meetings or in sober living environments--the reality is that individuals who desire to use will use. Drugs, and people addicted to them, can be found anywhere, from the corporate boardroom to the local bar and everywhere in between. It is more realistic--and a greater safeguard in the long run--for those struggling with drug dependence to learn how to navigate a dangerous world. And addicts working a long, strong recovery are often the very people most able to help those in early recovery.

If your daughter realizes that her cravings may continue after detox, then she is wise about that.

Drugs cost money. How does your daughter afford the opiates?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel like the worst mother for not seeing all this before it got to this point. Thank you for your help. Keep it coming please
Please be kinder to yourself, most of us have felt that way.

try and remember

You didn't Cause it
You can't CURE it
You can't Control it

:ghug3 from one mother too another
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Actually, they need to be around other addicts people who understand if she used again it would be her CHOICE it would not be another RA fault only hers
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Detoxing is the easy part. Learning to cope with life on life's terms, without using substance, is the real challenge.

ROD is highly controversial and very expensive. No way will insurance cover it.
This is the sort of thing addicted rock stars do before a tour. It's all about sedation and diapers.

Medically supervised detox, usually paid for by insurance, is not the same agony as going cold turkey, at home. It's a viable alternative.

Any place that touts recovery rates is a sham. If there is any follow-up, it's short term and based on whatever the recovering addict says to the interviewer, on the phone. No one, anywhere, keeps tabs in the long run or uses hair follicle tests to confirm ongoing sobriety.

Always remember, detox and rehab are big businesses. " Nothing you ever do for a child is ever wasted" is one of the common ways to hook parents into
"supporting" the recovery of addicted adult children.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My daughter has her heart set on this type of detox. She is scared to death of being really sick. The other methods say the patient still feel physically ill even though they will be given medical help to ease the symptoms. I admit in a way I wonder if it would be better for her to see what she has done to her body and feel the misery of it, but I don’t think my husband will go along with it at all. Its not what I want, but I have wondered internally if it would be better for her. Might help be a deterrent for the future.

We have considered rehab, and the good ones are very expensive. The main problem is that they are not local, and she doesn’t want to go away from home. We have no problem with her living here this summer and she is planning on finishing college and starting in the Fall. There is not much time to fit in treatment at this point.

Im not convinced at all about the association with other addicts. My husband is also against that. Seems like a house of cards where if one falls, they could all fall very easily and protect each other. I think associating with people who have no history of drugs makes much more sense.

Im still looking at rehab places in our area, but its very hard to really know what is best. Suggestions on what to look for when comparing them?