engaged to an alcoholic

Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Take anything he says about drinking, at this point, with a LARGE grain of salt.

My prediction is that he will talk about how INFORMATIVE he found those meetings, how he now really UNDERSTANDS that his drinking COULD become a problem, but now that he's seen what can happen if he doesn't get it under control, he knows it won't be a problem any more. He loves you TOO MUCH to ever let himself wind up like the people he saw at the meetings.

Yada, yada.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Can you postpone the wedding?

Originally Posted by danri View Post
hello, i'm new here. my boyfriend proposed to me in june after being together for 4 years. we've had our ups and downs like everyone else but always more ups than downs. he's 36 years old, a good man and comes from a fantastic family. he's the love of my life.
i knew he drank a lot when partying but i never realized how crippling and traumatizing the phrase "alcoholic" can be when you're suddenly faced with it. he started binging and hiding it from me and after experiencing withdrawal in October and feeling scared to death, he finally admitted to me what he'd been doing. he checked himself into a 28day program the next day.
I was floored. here i am, planning our wedding, and now our future together all of a sudden seemed impossible. He was sober for 4 months, and has relapsed under the guise of "experimenting with moderation". it's been a really rough time for me, and our relationship. I kicked him out for a few days because I just couldn't support him while he was active in his addiction. i don't currently know if he's drinking or not, but the arguing put me over the top- he was blaming me for throwing him out onto the streets, if he could just be home everything would be ok, yada yada yada. i know for sure he got drunk on 2 occasions and drank behind my back twice.
our wedding is 7 months away. i have done absolutely everything i can for him and i know it has to come from him in order to work, but, i'm feeling like i have no idea what to do anymore. my parents divorced when i was 5 years old and i feel like i'm putting myself in the position to repeat history. we don't have any children, but that was definitely part of our plan. i'm in therapy, he's back at AA, he's been to 3 meetings since i kicked him out and he's staying with his mother.
i'm doing my best to put this all on him and focus on myself, but it's not easy when i should be sending out save the dates!!! i know i can't throw out the words "what should i do", but i guess i'm just looking for some friendly advice, or maybe if anyone else has gone through this? in the 4 years we were together prior to getting engaged i truly didn't notice he was an alcoholic. now i'm blindsided. and terrified. i try to stay positive and put my faith in him but i know i don't want to relive this every few months. i try to remind myself that sobreity is new for him and this may take a while, especially with his sometimes hectic work schedule, but i don't want to suffer or worse, find myself filing for divorce with a small child in a few short years. i'd really appreciate any words of wisdom. i'm scared of how this disease may/will evolve in my fiancé. will he become a hateful and mean person? am i setting myself up for more heartbreak? will he give up and lose all the things that matter to him? should i get out now while i still have time?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I was really looking forward to this therapy session with him. I was also going to use it as a time to get my keys and credit card back while we're separated and he's working on himself. I really don't want to cancel the credit card because it's my main acct that's hooked up to everything for me. He has the same card, just with his name on it. I wonder if I can only deactivate the one with his name on it?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Is he merely an "authorized user" on your account, or is it a joint account? I think you just have to call the credit card company to remove him as an authorized user, but it's more complicated if it's a joint account.

I'd suggest calling the credit card's customer service number on the back of the card to find out. Most of them are available 24/7, so you could call today and find out what's required--if there's a form he needs to sign, for example, you could probably print it out and take it with you to the therapy session.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Simple question. Do you want a construction project or a marriage?

Marriages and families are already a handful when people are sober. Do you want every meeting with friends or family to start with How is your husband, is he staying sober? You will wind up with a marriage and/or family defined by his personal behavior.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluelily View Post
Honeypig, could you explain a little more what you mean by understanding things differently? I´m in need of some pep-talk right now too and knowing that others who went through this feel better and have grown from this experience would really help.
bluelily, I sent you a PM regarding this. Hope you find it helpful.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
bluelily, I sent you a PM regarding this. Hope you find it helpful.
Honeypig, could you PM me too what you mean?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Honeypig, could you PM me too what you mean?
danri, I PM'd bluelily b/c I didn't want to hijack your thread. Looks like you both had similar questions, so I'll post here in your thread in case anyone else might find this useful too.

One of my issues in recovery is that I want to view my life as a cake recipe where I mix in 10 Alanon meetings and 16 posts on SR and 3 recovery books and 20 minutes of meditation each day for 2 weeks and voila! I'm recovered! I remember hearing people at Alanon meetings say "yes, I've been coming for 5/10/20 years and I'm still learning." I thought these people were nuts! How long could it take to figure this stuff out?

Well, I've found that recovery is NOT a cake recipe--just b/c I've put in the required ingredients does not mean I'm all better now. It's more like a crock of pickles or sauerkraut, where you put in the ingredients and then have to allow time for things to ferment! I have to give recovery time to percolate all thru my being, to become part of who I am and how I think, to soak into all parts of my life.

Recovery is a whole new mindset and way of life. I can't change those things instantly just b/c I've made up my mind to do so. True, making up my mind to change is the very FIRST thing I need to do, but recovery is a process and will take time. I wish I could point to some "AHA" revelation that changed everything for me, but it's been more like a series of small, interconnected revelations that is gradually and progressively changing how I think, how I act and react, how I see the world.

I'm going to list a bunch of threads that may help you along. You might want to thoroughly read one or two each day and let the wisdom contained in each one kind of "slow drip" into your consciousness. Here we go:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-stories.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...awakening.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ess-story.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...akes-time.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ther-side.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...c-reading.html

There are also 2 daily reader threads that have shed light on things for me, often exactly when I needed it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...days-hope.html

I also want to suggest visiting the "Infinite Happy Days" gratitude thread (or its predecessor, the "100 Happy Days" thread) here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...joy-posts.html

Be gentle w/yourself. I want to stress again that recovery takes time, and time takes time. If you're like me, you want to see the whole path clear in front of you and want to know exactly what you'll do and how things will work well in advance. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. I'll close w/another favorite quote, this one from E. L. Doctorow. Just replace the word "writing" w/"recovery" and it's all about us:

“Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.”

You're gonna be OK, danri. One step at a time. There is no way to jump over or step around the pain, but you are strong enough to survive it.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Have you asked yourself if you trust and respect him? If this is the person you want as the father of your child?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thank you honeypig

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me/us!!
Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Have you asked yourself if you trust and respect him? If this is the person you want as the father of your child?
I currently have trust issues with him. As far as I'm concerned the wedding is postponed and and we have to work on ourselves. I've spent 5 years knowing he would be the father of my children and he'd be great at it. Right now all of this is so new to me, and knowing that recovery takes time I think I need to just take a step back on that.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I've spent 5 years knowing he would be the father of my children and he'd be great at it

did you have any factual evidence to support that or was that just a belief of yours? did he have other children and you got to witness his parenting? does he work WITH children and you got to observe his talents?

we often get caught up on what WE believe we SEE in our chosen one....their POTENTIAL.....only to find out later we overestimated who we thought they COULD be and ignored who they truly were/are.

i am glad you are putting the wedding on hold AND are willing to work on yourself! not that you aren't wonderful, but we ALL need some work! some housekeeping to do. garage sales to get rid of the accumulated clutter.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
I've spent 5 years knowing he would be the father of my children and he'd be great at it

did you have any factual evidence to support that or was that just a belief of yours? did he have other children and you got to witness his parenting? does he work WITH children and you got to observe his talents?

we often get caught up on what WE believe we SEE in our chosen one....their POTENTIAL.....only to find out later we overestimated who we thought they COULD be and ignored who they truly were/are.

i am glad you are putting the wedding on hold AND are willing to work on yourself! not that you aren't wonderful, but we ALL need some work! some housekeeping to do. garage sales to get rid of the accumulated clutter.
He has many nieces and nephews and loves kids. None of his own, but he's great with them. He is the first alcoholic I've ever known so it's a very hard time for me. I learned while visiting him at rehab in October that relapse is a part of recovery.
I don't feel ready to walk away from him completely but I'm going to stick to my boundaries and limits, and see where we go.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I know you have a lot to process here, so I will just focus on a little detail
which is the credit card issue--
If you don't want to ask for your card back,
you could report it lost and they will keep the account but deactivate the number
and send you a new card with a new number for the same account.

Then ask them to send just one card in your name only.

Hang in there. Hope things go well tomorrow
Old 03-06-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I know you have a lot to process here, so I will just focus on a little detail
which is the credit card issue--
If you don't want to ask for your card back,
you could report it lost and they will keep the account but deactivate the number
and send you a new card with a new number for the same account.

Then ask them to send just one card in your name only.

Hang in there. Hope things go well tomorrow
I removed him as an authorized user today. Unfortunately I'm traveling this week and this is my main CC and they can't get it to me for 5-7 days. Tomorrow at therapy I will ask for my keys and the CC back. It kills me that I feel horrible doing this. But I know it's what I have to do. It feels like I'm abandoning him, when I told him that I would always be there so long as he was getting the help he needed/ asked for help and didn't continue to be active. Keeping in mind that he has to do this for himself, I just don't want this to be over. How will I know when/if to let him come home?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I just don't want this to be over. How will I know when/if to let him come home?
danri, recovery for him will be a process and will take time, just as it will for you. The rule of thumb you'll hear around here is for him to have a year of continuous sobriety and to be working a program as a bare minimum. He can't/won't recover in a matter of days/weeks/even months any more than you can.

Again, your best bet is to focus on yourself. Don't hang your life on the peg of what he is or isn't doing. I know this is very difficult to do--we want answers, clear answers, and we want them NOW!--but that isn't the way it generally happens. Do the work on yourself and trust that when you need an answer, you'll have one.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
danri, recovery for him will be a process and will take time, just as it will for you. The rule of thumb you'll hear around here is for him to have a year of continuous sobriety and to be working a program as a bare minimum. He can't/won't recover in a matter of days/weeks/even months any more than you can.

Again, your best bet is to focus on yourself. Don't hang your life on the peg of what he is or isn't doing. I know this is very difficult to do--we want answers, clear answers, and we want them NOW!--but that isn't the way it generally happens. Do the work on yourself and trust that when you need an answer, you'll have one.
Is it not possible for us recover together?
Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Is it not possible for us recover together?
I think both of you need to be whole and recovered on your own so that his sobriety isn't dependent on you and your happiness and well-being isn't dependent on him. Then if one of you falters the other will stay strong and you won't both self-destruct into a giant sh*t storm.

Does this mean you can't be in each other's lives as you recover? I don't know. The nature of your relationship right now can be decided with time, boundaries, outside support, education on the subject, etc. As others said, you don't have to make big decisions right now. I do want to commend you, however, for postponing the wedding and educating yourself on this now instead of having magical thinking that it will somehow just all get better. You're smart and strong.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself, trying to figure out when it will be "safe" to let him come home, and figuring out whether you can recover together.

As far as you know, at this point, he's not really interested in quitting drinking. That he went to a few meetings doesn't mean that has changed.

I know it's hard to sit with uncertainty, but right now things are about as uncertain as they can get. I won't say he CAN'T have an epiphany and decide to embrace sobriety. I CAN tell you it would be very, very unusual for it to happen that way.

All you can do is to wait and see. You'll know soon enough what's going on with him. As we say around here, more will be revealed.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

The longer I think about this I'm starting to realize that maybe my happiness does depend on him. I've often told him in the past that he makes everything better for me. Is that just how love goes, though? Don't we all light up around our person? Am I codependent if I feel this way? Right now the thought of us not seeing each other for an extended period is making the pit of my stomach drop.