Please share something awesome about yourself.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please share something awesome about yourself.

I am feeling crappy and emotional today. I couldn't sleep last night because my stomach hurt so much because now that I am out of denial, I keep thinking about all the horrible abuse I have foolishly put up with, and allowed my children to witness (and sometimes be the victims of). I feel ashamed. Why, oh why did I keep forgiving and forgiving? When he wasn't even sorry? When I knew he would do it again? Why did I allow my children to live in poverty so that his addictions could continue undisturbed?

But I know that it does no good to beat myself up. I just have to be strong and move forward. Also, I know that all of us with alcoholic partners need to focus on ourselves rather than on our partners. With those ideas in mind, I thought it might help me to remind myself of some of the good things about me, things I'm proud of. Things that have NOTHING to do with anyone else or any relationship, just me.

I would love it if others would share some cool/awesome/unique/fun facts about themselves. This thread could be really fun!

I'll go first:
I used to be really good at playing the piano, and I plan to take it up again very soon.

In highschool, I was the star of the school play. I was on stage for almost two hours straight and I never forgot a single line - and when my costar forgot a whole group of lines I covered for him. Our teacher told me I have a mind like a steel trap.

I make fabulous bread, cakes and cookies. (I am speaking in the literal sense here, lol.) And I'm very good at cooking from scratch, too. You should taste my cabbage rolls, or beef stew and dumplings, or apple pie.

My eyes are a very interesting shade of hazel.

Okay, who wants to toot their own horn next?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got up today and started writing (just taking a five minute break here, I swear!) again for the first time in over a week.
Apple pie! Makes me want breakfast. Yummy.
Good thread, thanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a crackin' sharp, ironic wit. Don't show it much on SR postings, though.

Stick around and heal, BookNerd, you can't change the past, but you can build the best future from today on, and show your kids how to make lemonade from lemons so all is not lost.

Sending support!

CLMI
Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or pie. Or curd. Or sorbet.

You can make a lot of great things from lemons.

I'm hungry, now.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
I got up today and started writing (just taking a five minute break here, I swear!) again for the first time in over a week.
Good job! What do you write?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome credits you have given yourself

I have a lot of good qualities too, including learning to play guitar/bass/drums starting about 8 yrs ago. I have grown kids so this was a late start for me. I now play in a 5 pc band.

I too like to bake and create, and it gives me enjoyment. I was an editor for a car magazine for 16+ years, it was fun and I learned a lot.

Along with my husband we own a 100 acre farm in Ontario, it's been a good and rewarding experience. As we get older we want to move and become good landlords to our farming tenants, another good experience I hope.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am learning to tap dance and it is so much fun.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
I have a crackin' sharp, ironic wit. Don't show it much on SR postings, though.
Please do share your crackin' sharp, ironic wit more often. I'm sure we would all enjoy it.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of the good things?
I finished college after I was age 50,
I live in a yurt,
I just bought a Mini Cooper S.
I am hoping to learn yoga.

I will never lose the degree...
I needed a car anyway...
But, I may have to walk away from the yurt.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My husband and daughter are relieved when I don't cook...it is definitely not my forte.

I can wiggle my ears.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Yurt! We've had old school Minis for years including two real Cooper S's. Right now we have a 79 Mini sedan and a 65 Mini panel van
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
Please do share your crackin' sharp, ironic wit more often. I'm sure we would all enjoy it.
Well, say, for example, the juxtaposition of my user name to the image in my avatar. I wonder how many folks reallllly get that.

I don't usually put stuff straight out. For me, part of the sharpest irony is going incognito, so when it finally does hit you, it's like a smack upside the head. Like, part of the sharpness is discovering that there is irony, and what it is.

Largely, though, SR is not a good venue for mental game playing. A lot of folks are hurting and trying to heal, and it's not the right place for that.

CLMI
Attached Images
File Type: gif
avatar49696_4text.gif (11.0 KB, 271 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a great writer.
I am a loyal friend and animal lover.
I also love cooking and have been told I'm pretty good at it.
I'm a problem solver and and am very competent at my job (office manager at a dental practice).

Thanks for this thread. I just went to therapy yesterday and my doc reminded me to appreciate the good things about myself more and to stop being so hard on myself.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
Good job! What do you write?
Working on a novel. Hoping to have the first draft finished by the end of the year. This is my third crack at it, but I know that this one is good. I think of the others as "starter books". I also like to cook, but my baking skills are such that I just buy an ice cream cake for b-days and such, though I do make a mean snickerdoodle.

@yurt- I highly recommend yoga, great for peace of mind and achy backs. Without yoga I think I would be like George's dad on Seinfeld- fists clenched, purple in the face yelling "SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!"
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Only a week since I left AH so right now I am struggling to find the "good" in me again.
I have sat here for 20 minutes trying to think of positive attributes but here goes for now.

I love history. I have researched my family tree for 20+ years and through my research knowledge have helped several friends find family they didn't know existed. I really enjoy listening to elderly people, their stories of the past are so interesting and the joy they get from someone wanting to listen to them warms my heart.

I have never been close to my father, but have worked for my boss for 28 years. I am an office manager and handle all financial aspects for the company. i know i am very good at what i do and i am loyal, honest & trustworthy. My boss is very kind, considerate and appreciates me. He is a great father and has been the father figure in my life as long as i have known him. He has a very large wonderful family. his wife, children, mother & siblings think of me as one of their own.

I feel like i have come a long way already. I lost initiative and motivation in things I used to enjoy but I am looking forward to be able to post more positive "me" stories.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just got back from my volenteering and the therapist (physical) told me that I was their favoite side walker/helper (horses) and that the kids really connect with me. She wished she had 10 more like me! Made my day! Oh, and I got a hug from my favorite rider.

I am an awsome cook and baker. Not too proud to brag about that. I am a great organizer. My finances are in order and I pay all bills on time! I can sew and currently working on a small project for my neighbor for her 3 year old daughter for her birthday. I love photography and was complimented on some of my pictures by a friend a couple of weeks ago.

I am getting healthier both physical and mentally!

Looks like a lot of us bake/cook. We should have recipe sharing thread sometime!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Well, say, for example, the juxtaposition of my user name to the image in my avatar. I wonder how many folks reallllly get that.

I don't usually put stuff straight out. For me, part of the sharpest irony is going incognito, so when it finally does hit you, it's like a smack upside the head. Like, part of the sharpness is discovering that there is irony, and what it is.

Largely, though, SR is not a good venue for mental game playing. A lot of folks are hurting and trying to heal, and it's not the right place for that.

CLMI
Yes, I see what you are saying.

Your avatar, I confess I did not pick up on at first. Nicely done.

This thread is great everyone - you all sound like such cool people - let's keep on posting, shall we?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

hmmmm.

something awesome about me?

I am too sexy for my shirt?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am an awesome Grandmother to my 3 year old grandson! Love, Love, Love!

I do amazing things with my photos. Just made my sister a 42 page photobook of her life for her 60th birthday. Working on my own life photobook.

It is awesome that I am taking better care of my health and well being. Off all medications, eating healthier and doing yoga! I want to be around for my family that Loves ME!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnlyOneProblem View Post
I do amazing things with my photos. Just made my sister a 42 page photobook of her life for her 60th birthday. Working on my own life photobook.
This is such an awesome idea. Being the family historian, when my dear momma passed away, I received all the family photos including the "one only" of many relatives dating back to 1870. Would love to do a book for each of my siblings.