Please share something awesome about yourself.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just bought my daughter a Mini. We are loving driving it! So much fun...

Great thread, by the way.

I too love to cook and bake. I am adamant on baking from scratch...no box mixes in this house!

Because I love to cook and bake, I got back into my exercise and sports I had let go during the most dramatic time with the XAH. Lost 20 pounds and back in my skinny jeans, even though I like to eat! Yoga is a lot of fun, but I still struggle with it, after 6 months. It's not easy, but it has definitely helped with balance and flexibility. Highly recommend it.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you BookNerd for this thread. And thank you to everyone posting. Some of you are posting good things that also apply to me, reminding me that I have more values than I realized and also giving me ideas for self improvement.

This thread is giving my spirits a boost!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i got the two-stop grocery shopping done and home by 10am. even tho I didn't wanna AND it was POURING down rain! for me sometimes, its not about doing the stuff i'm good at, it's the stuff I really don't want or care to do and doing it anyway!

i'm the the final days of a 6 week medically supervised detox/clearing diet and I've stuck to it to the very best of my ability, no cheating, and have changed what I eat and what I want to eat. i'm a trader joe bag totin' hummus lover now! I feel much better, a lot of my symptoms have diminished or even disappeared AND I've lost 15 pounds!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was very depressed all summer and the one thing that always cheered me up was teaching a summer class (college). I just got the student evaluations and they are the best I have ever had.

It's good to know that apparently I am a great teacher even when I am in a bad place.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fine I'll toot my horn. I am 17 days away from being 1 year sober!!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
KKE

I can eat 12 toffee bananas in one sitting!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done everyone!

Originally Posted by KKE View Post
I can eat 12 toffee bananas in one sitting!
Whoa...are we talking about actual bananas here, covered in toffee, or is it some kind of candy?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I became and avid gardener 10 years ago when we moved our of the city. I became obsessed with killing weeds without using chemicals. I bought a propane torch and would spend 12 hours a day torching crabgrass in the lawn last summer (now I am spending 12 hours a day on SR).

Last year at this time our lawn looked like a minefield riddled with black pockmarks from my genius idea. We have 5 acres, not pretty and a fairly sizable testament to an OCD freak wielding a fossil fueled weapon.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
KKE

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
Well done everyone!

Whoa...are we talking about actual bananas here, covered in toffee, or is it some kind of candy?
Actual bananas covered in toffee! It sent my sugar levels to a pretty dangerous place but a challenge is a challenge!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Jaynie, I can wiggle my ears, too! I can also pick things up with my toes.

Hmm, I am a good cat/dog mom. I seem to be able to make people laugh, unless they are just being kind and humoring me. I also have a GREAT many song lyrics in my head. Can't remember anyone's name to save my life, but by golly I can sing along with the radio.

Thank you, BookNerd.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I completed an Ironman distance triathlon. I'm a great country half time dancer. I am an animal lover. I volunteer my medical services in a 3rd world clinic several times a year.

Love this thread, reminds me of a gratitude journal. Just think of one good thing about yourself each day....it will add up!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I can't think of anything.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I love to shoot my bow! I'm pretty good with it too! I'm in the process right now of fine tuning it ATM. I'm on break.

I have a wicked sense of humor!

Love to cook! AH tells me I can never leave because of this! lol

I am a Grandma to a gorgeous 4 1/2 month old little girl!

I've been told I have awesome blue eyes by many people!

I love to hunt! It's not a passion, it's an obsession! We interrupt this marriage to bring you hunting season! LMAO It's one of the first things I told my husband about me when we first met. The only thing that will keep me out of the woods is an injury to myself and not necessarily others. Sorry hubs! :P

Love body building! Had to give it up temporarily since money got tight after the accident. I will pick it back up very soon! It's something AH brought me into and we've enjoyed emensly together for as long as we've been together.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awesome is a big big superman type word to me compared to today's usage. I will substitute 'great'.

I am a great:

Cook
Technologist
Problem solver
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Recovery,
I am training for an eventual Ironman!

In the past few years I and my children have become fluent in another language and integrated successfully in a very particular community in Europe.
In spite of utter upheaval, the children succeeded into the highest track of a very rigorous public school system. If we can continue here, they will be placed at the top of the best place to live anywhere imho.

I learned to downhill ski black pistes when a few years ago I was terrified on the slightest decline.

Three years on a triathlon team, I learned how to swim properly (terrified of drowning)in the midst of a horrible crisis. Completed two marathons, four triathlons, won a duathlon, placed second and third in various endurance mountain races. Got asked out by an Olympic European athlete 15 years my junior.

All those things were easy. Running 31 km on a mountain trail with 2000 meters elevation gain was a piece of cake.

The hard part is coping with a crazy, alcoholic violent stbxah. Father of my precious children.

Get him off of me already!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
I completed an Ironman distance triathlon. I'm a great country half time dancer. I am an animal lover. I volunteer my medical services in a 3rd world clinic several times a year.
Ok, you ROCK!! 👍
Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am absolutely fluent in Castillian Spanish. I got so good at it, most Spanish people couldn't tell that I am not Spanish. It felt outstanding.

I have two undergraduate degrees and one postgraduate. I aced them all. I'm pretty proud of that.

In 2005, I lost 180 pounds through gastric bypass, in 2006, I took off another 35. I have only put about 30 pounds back on in almost 10 years. That's practically unheard of. Recently I've been sick and taken off another 12.

I won a teaching award last year for most collaborative teacher. That felt awesome.

My son is a genius. He goes to the #5 ranked boarding school in the world. His passion seems to be veterinary medical research - I'm beside myself proud of him.

Oh, and I'm a very good cook too. I can make a killer Chilean Sea Bass.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am a really good mom to a very clever 5 year old daughter.

I am a really good teacher (National Board Certified for the past 5 years & positive appraisals every year for the past 20 years).

I am a really good mentor for other teachers (college students & colleagues).

I am a really good grant writer (for my own classroom, other classrooms, and my school).

I am a really good friend and person.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
hmmmm.

something awesome about me?

I am too sexy for my shirt?
I had something witty to say, and then I just lost it when I got to this.

I love to cook, and my husband's minions in the airframes shop love it when I bring them food. I'm known to make huge batches of lasagna, enchiladas, pulled pork, and fajitas for them to nosh on during the night shift. Baking is a relatively new hobby for me, since cooks often don't do well with baking. It's actually been a great success, and now my son wants me to open a bakery. The cottage food laws in Washington are pretty lax, so maybe a catering type thing is in my future. Who knows. I've always got that self-esteem monkey on my back. Thanks, mom.

I don't read books, I devour them.
I'm always taking a class in something.
I like to sew, and I make hair accessories for girls.
I can't whistle to save my life.

We are having hella wind and hail up here on Whidbey, Anvil. Guess fall finally made it to WA.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Grits, we're building an ark in the basement! should make for an exciting Husky game! GO DAWGS.