Please share something awesome about yourself.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I told the kids we might be able to turn the hill down to the main gate of base housing into a water ride if this keeps up. Wrap the mattresses in plastic and off we go! I'm sure the MA's would have a cow.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

it just started coming down in sheets again, got really dark too! what hits us should be a husky stadium in about 20-25 minutes. are we sure this isn't November???
Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm loving learning all these great things about everyone!

I am a great daughter, sister, and aunt - absolutely adore my nieces & nephews. I am also a great dog mom to my three fur-babies.

I'm a good baker...not much of a cook, but I can make great cookies & pies.

I'm great at cleaning & organizing...when I want to be.

I was the first in my family to earn a graduate degree.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Carry on, I'll cook, you bake! I was never good at it but I'd like to improve on it. Although, I found this great recipe for apple pie n made a batch of filling from home grown apples! It was BOMB! Now, if only I could make a good crust... I would just buy the ones from the cold section at the store! lol
Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
Carry on, I'll cook, you bake! I was never good at it but I'd like to improve on it. Although, I found this great recipe for apple pie n made a batch of filling from home grown apples! It was BOMB! Now, if only I could make a good crust... I would just buy the ones from the cold section at the store! lol
I have tried and true family pie crust recipes and I STILL roll out the Pillsbury crust! Pie crust is too finicky for me. I make a mean Dutch crumble, but forget that flaky stuff. I stick to cookies, cupcakes (I can make 25 varieties to order at any time!), shortbreads, pound cakes, and the like. Pie is just too moody for me.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

(Good pie crust is a bit tricky, yes, but once you've got it down, it's a million times better than the bought kind. If anyone wants any pointers, just ask. )

This thread is just wonderful. Some very accomplished folks reside among us!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am wearing pink glitter nail polish today.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Choublak, you have a phenomenal ability to cut through all the crap and get to the heart of the matter. It's not always easy to hear, but it's valuable.

And it's awesome.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I was always a smart kid. Graduated 12th in my high school class of 375, received a full tuition scholarship to college, then received a full tuition scholarship to law school. I'm very grateful to be smart, and have always felt like it's that one thing that nobody could ever take away from me, but all that schoolness meant I didn't develop a lot of other interests. As an adult, I learned to cook, which I love (so much that if I ever get a do-over, I'm going to culinary school). I also taught myself to knit a few years ago (no small feat for me...I am horribly, terribly uncoordinated both in terms of gross motor skills and small motor skills like hand-eye coordination).
Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by Sueski View Post
Choublak, you have a phenomenal ability to cut through all the crap and get to the heart of the matter. It's not always easy to hear, but it's valuable.

And it's awesome.
I agree. You always have something to say to make a valid point, and it's usually something others are afraid to say. I applaud you for that. You've made me smile a time or two as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
(Good pie crust is a bit tricky, yes, but once you've got it down, it's a million times better than the bought kind. If anyone wants any pointers, just ask. )

This thread is just wonderful. Some very accomplished folks reside among us!
Well, I think since the Holidays are fast approaching, you should just add those pointers here n we can make pies, take pics and post, n get fat looking at them! oh... n then we'll eat them!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I think I am a good mom. My children have turned out to be very interesting, secure in themselves and healthy. Thank you, God.

I am good at connecting with people very quickly.

I have a quirky sense of decorating and fashion that people seem to like.

I am good at amusing myself, fairly easy to please.

Thanks for this post, BookNerd (I am one of those, too). It feels good!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know. I have 3 children who are alive and thriving even though their other parent is a screw-up. Some days that feels like enough.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

This is an eye-opener. I've been having a fairly nice day, yet I can't find anything to say about myself that's good.

Long, long pondering. .... and still nothing. I'll put it down to lack of sleep last night and will return later.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
I honestly don't know. I have 3 children who are alive and thriving even though their other parent is a screw-up. Some days that feels like enough.
Stella, that is a major thing! Your kids are lucky to have you for a mom.

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
This is an eye-opener. I've been having a fairly nice day, yet I can't find anything to say about myself that's good.

Long, long pondering. .... and still nothing. I'll put it down to lack of sleep last night and will return later.
Keepingthefaith, I know there are lots of good things about you. Just from your username, I know you are a person with perseverance. And you also are wise enough to want to improve your life, or you wouldn't be here at SR...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

So.....does being able to list the states of the United States in Alphabetic order from memory count?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado.......

Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
That made me cry, Stella. Because I'm reading all these amazing things and I'm thinking "I can't come up with a damn thing right now"

But that.

Instead of beating myself up.

That.

My children are alive. They're not happy. They're semi-functional on a good day. But they are alive. They are full of life and love. People love them and like their company. They are brilliant, eccentric, strange people with dreams and deep traumas and they all give excellent hugs. So I've done something right.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

There are things I have liked about myself in the past that are no longer true, and there is a person I want to be that I'm making strides to be. I think one of the things that I like about myself right now is that I am open to possibility, and things that were once very much out of reach are in reach now. Like I can pluck a dream out of the sky and make it real, and never have doubt that it isn't right or isn't for someone like me.

I'm proud to be a work in progress and hope I remain in this state of growth and change for the rest of my life.

I'm smart, I can write, I used to be a well-known blogger and while I'm glad I'm not any longer I finally feel comfortable saying so and owning that huge part of my history. I've begun other creative outlets that are more appropriate for me.

I love my children dearly and believe that I am finally in a place where I can parent them with the level of care and attention they deserve. That in itself is a benchmark of the personal work I've been doing.

I'm teaching myself to cook, and I'm pretty good at it. I like the idea of baking, but not actual baking.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I am mom to the two greatest kids in the universe (if I do say so myself!), I have a great sense of humour. I love the outdoors and go for 3-hour hikes every week of the year. I geocache almost every day. I worked and paid my way through two undergraduate degrees, and a masters degree, without borrowing money from anyone and without going into debt. I think I'm pretty smart. I'm the youngest manager in my company and moved up to that position fast. I own my own drill and know how to use it. I've paid off every credit card bill in full for the past 20 years. I try my best in everything I do. I am loyal and independent. I'm learning how to knit. I fully accept that I cannot bake. I still listen to Metallica and Korn. It took me a long time to write this, but it's put me in a fantastic mood!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
So.....does being able to list the states of the United States in Alphabetic order from memory count?
Are you kidding? Knowing them all, let alone knowing them all in alpha-order is amazing in itself!

We don't have states in the UK we have counties, but I'd be damned if I can't remember more than about 10 of them at a push!

My awesome thing is that.. err.. I can play the theme tunes from Airwolf & The A-team on my guitar?