Please share something awesome about yourself.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
I can't whistle to save my life.
Oh god, me either... and it is the source of great teasing by both DD & RAH.

I can bake very, very well having inherited whatever gene my bakery-owning, great grandparents passed down... it just comes naturally to me. I was a semi-professional cake decorator when I was younger and continue to do all of our family & friends' birthdays & special events. I make beautiful AND delicious cakes in all sizes.

I know I'm a great mom, I don't doubt myself there. If I did it wouldn't matter - DD tells me often & shows me with small gestures even more regularly.

I'm a good friend.

I'm a great gift-giver..... I love finding the perfect gift for each person, the more unique & special, the better.

I'm getting the hang of cooking after working hard to understand the differences in cooking & baking. Very different processes & I consider all those hours of watching Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Iron Chef, etc. as research time well spent...

I have learned to make time FOR ME without feeling guilty or selfish about it. I've learned that it's OK to need things & even more OK to explain what those things are to the people closest to me without needing to make excuses about it.

I love me. I don't think I could always say that, but I can now. I may not be 100% where I want to be but I accept & love myself, flaws & all. I also accept that tomorrow is always another chance to change whatever bothers me today.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I can lip synch the entirety of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". (I know, I know...why would you want to?)

I'm so funny that every time I say something funny in a group setting, 90% of the time someone else repeats it, louder, and gets credit for it. And I'm so confident in myself (now) that I let them.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I can lip synch the entirety of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". (I know, I know...why would you want to?)
Now why did you have to go and mention that, Sparkle? It'll be in my head all night so I may have to play it just to get it out (sadly I already have it in the mp3 folder)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Wow...what a great thread idea! And awesome that you took control of how you were feeling by doing something positive!

Thanks for this...I'm also feeling kind of crappy today and it'll be nice to focus on some good things

I'm an excellent writer with a good imagination and a good command of language - poems, stories, and even music.

Which brings me to playing the guitar. Which I have been dying to do lately, haven't done it in a while! My father is an excellent musician, and him playing and us singing is a great memory. When I picked up the guitar as a teenager I found I had a knack for it - started recognizing notes by ear very quickly when trying to figure out how to play songs. Wrote some pretty decent ones too. Wish my fingers were longer LOL but I do ok once I have those calluses built up. If not OUCH lol.

I love to cook and bake, and am proud of how I can throw together something pretty darn good with odds and ends when need be. I'm good at making things from scratch, always loved cooking.

I layer my own hair with no training and do a nice job.

I like how the color of my eyes looks different depending on factors...sometimes green, blue, grey, greenish-blue, etc.

I'm good at drawing - pencil drawings of people and I even got into illustrating internal organs for a bit, which was interesting and fun.

I've got a good sense of humor and I like making people laugh.

Thanks for the opportunity to remember some good things about myself! And nice to read what others have to say about themselves!

Peace.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I would love it if others would share some cool/awesome/unique/fun facts about themselves.

I can belly dance (and balance a sword on my head!).

I think it's pretty cool that my eyes are very dark brown and my daughter has awesome clear blue eyes.

I was valedictorian of my high school class.

Some years ago, I was in a musical as an adult for a local community theater that I had been in in high school some years back. I was new to the community theater, much of the cast looked down on me because I was an outsider, and due to bronchities, I had to wear a mic for my solo because my voice hadn't healed, so again I was looked down on for not having the "theater pipes." The local reviewer came out to our dress auditions both days to write up his review. This reviewer is considered a theater snob locally and everyone made a big deal about if he mentions you, how big of a deal it is. He wrote up a fantastic review of my solo and me.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

OK, I'll try.

I'm a good friend.
I don't always feel like a good friend - but when people need me, I listen. And Al-Anon has taught me to listen without giving advice - and that has made me an even better listener.

I'm an intuitive thinker and I can read between people's lines very well if I want to. This has made me a great assistant and second-in-command during my career. It's a position I'm very comfortable in; I don't care for the limelight and I do my best work behind the scenes. I don't take things personally at work which makes me easy to work with - I'm known as a problem solver and a finisher.

I'm loyal to a fault. I can find good in most people I meet. I am excellent at packing - boxes, cars, suitcases (probably all those yeast playing Tetris).

I am good at putting my sh*t in a box and ignoring it when more urgent things come up. (Blessing & curse but it has allowed me to work and support my kids in demanding jobs while going through hell on a personal level.)

I'm a jack of all trades master of none - or, as I like to see it, a Renaissance person. I can fish, construct and see my own clothes, grow potatoes, change a flat tire, recite poetry and Bible verses, build a lean-to for overnighting in the woods, and hobnob with celebrities.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hmmm let’s see…

I can be pretty handy around the house, I like to fix and update things, take them apart and find out how they tick. I’m not afraid of tools and wish I had more.

I feel like I’m good at getting my kids interested in reading and learning. I love to read and it seems to be rubbing off on them.

I’m also good at artistic and creative things. My degree is in the arts and I’ve ran my own graphics department for 10 years. Which means I can make almost anyone look like a magazine model with my Photoshop sills LOL. And I like to give hand-made gifts for the holidays.

I’m an animal lover and can be a good friend.

Thanks for starting this thread. We have tons of talented and amazing people here. It's been fun to read everything
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Great thread!

Hmm -

I have a ton of tattoos. I make friends' wedding cakes - and am good at it! I can fix most four stroke engines. I have a passion for art and architecture. Horror and sci-fi books are my greatest escape. My eyes are gray, but when I cry, they turn turquoise. I could win Jeopardy and do win most Trivial Pursuit games due to my freakish retention of pointless knowledge. I love all music - and I mean from Spike Jones and the Brothers Four - to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Verdi - to ELO and Elton John - to Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden - to John Anderson and Dolly Parton - to Dr Dre and 50 Cent - to Attreyu and As I Lay Dying. Just literally love it all.

Thanks - so fun to read about everyone - even though I already knew how great you all are...this is just the icing on the cake.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm loving this thread. You are all very interesting and amazing people.

Me-
I recently quit smoking (almost a month now)!
So, now hiking is way easier.
And a couple of days ago, I hiked a trail that I did earlier in the summer, and I didn't feel like I was gonna die!
And when I got to the top, the views nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Oh, and I am getting better and better at this thing I am obsessed with called photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mirrormirror.jpg (61.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm a really fun date.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm almost 40 & I can still do a cartwheel.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I'm loving this thread. You are all very interesting and amazing people.

Me-
I recently quit smoking (almost a month now)!
So, now hiking is way easier.
And a couple of days ago, I hiked a trail that I did earlier in the summer, and I didn't feel like I was gonna die!
And when I got to the top, the views nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Oh, and I am getting better and better at this thing I am obsessed with called photography.
Is that Rainier? We have so many of my husband's photos of the mountains around here that I can hardly tell them apart. It's a beautiful shot!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
Is that Rainier? We have so many of my husband's photos of the mountains around here that I can hardly tell them apart. It's a beautiful shot!
Shasta. One of these days I will get back up to Rainier. This is a place called Heart Lake and it's at about 7000'. Thank you!

As you can see, the snow is early this year!

L
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Shasta. One of these days I will get back up to Rainier. This is a place called Heart Lake and it's at about 7000'. Thank you!

As you can see, the snow is early this year!

L
I knew it looked familiar. I should know Heart Lake. We've been there. *hangs head in shame*
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

BEAUTIFUL photo LaTeeDa! You're obviously talented!

I am LOVING this thread! Interesting,and some of the posts crack me up!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

See the horse in my picture? While my ex AH was drinking I trained her & she became the local high school's mascot and I started all the home football games by running her across the field--She was the Mustang!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I am an Iyengar Yogi, and I help my teacher with her seniors class. Today I got a 92 year old to stand on her head.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
I would love it if others would share some cool/awesome/unique/fun facts about themselves. This thread could be really fun!
I was a professional baker for a high end grocery store for years. When I make apple or peach pie, people follow me out of the kitchen like... well... the pied piper.

When I was young I had lovely, sexy black hair almost to my waist. Now I have lovely, sexy black and silver hair almost to my waist.

I took up the guitar in my late thirties and I love it. I should have played the guitar all along instead of the piano. I'm not great, but I'm better than I ever thought I could be, and I'm my best audience.

I love spending time with my daughter. She soothes my soul. My own mother died when I was young, and it left a terrible hole in me. My daughter was able to heal me more in the first 3 weeks of her life than anything had in the preceding 20 years. I had wanted a boy, but the universe knew better than I did. No one could have been better for me than her.

Best of all, I'm happy. For a long time I didn't think that was possible, I was hideously depressed for many years. It's not that my life looks great, either; I'm sitting on the floor in a one room apartment that smells vaguely like the skunks living under the shed outside, my job doesn't pay well, I'm single and I have been for a long time, I'm not good at making friends, or being one. I have strange neurological issues. I want more children and I can't have any without expensive fertility treatments. These are undeniably real and negative things. But I'm still happy and content most of the time, and believe in my ability to solve my problems. This is a big, big thing.

Jeez, I run on and on though. Thanks for the opportunity to tell myself all this stuff, I needed to hear it tonight.

BuffaloGal
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

What a terrific thread!

Both my teen daughters have called me their "rock". I love that about myself. My girls come first, always. Always.

Also, I can hang a spoon on my nose.

And... spiders love me. Seriously.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

They did an intro of the new and returning staff at DS's school by doing a 'game show' contest listing different accomplishments and skills and the parents had to guess which staff member it was. They are all awesome and I'm thankful they're nurturing my amazing DS while I'm stuck at the office. You all rank right up there on my awe-o-meter, too.

Me: As a single mom, I've been able to keep DS at a Waldorf school, bought a cozy little home, and have been able to get DS the violin and lessons he wants and is excelling at. We forego other stuff, but DS doesn't seem to mind.

It may take me forever to finish a project, but I knit and crochet pretty darn well.

I can make origami frogs that 'jump.'

Let's see... Oh, Codenamegiggles, I also have really, really dark brown eyes and DS has the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen. Sometimes they look grey and others, clear bright blue.

I can't think of anything else right now... maybe later. Thanks, all.