Please share something awesome about yourself.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 15.5 years
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuffaloGal View Post
When I was young I had lovely, sexy black hair almost to my waist. Now I have lovely, sexy black and silver hair almost to my waist.
Wow BuffaloGal! I have always admired women who can grow their hair that long. My hair is way too pathetically thin to ever grow it that long, but I always wanted hair like you have.

Theuncertainty, it sounds like you have done so well for your son! Good job!

You guys are all just amazing people, I am so glad I started this thread.

I thought of another good thing about me: I can quilt. I am just about to finish a giant, thick, warm quilt for my 5 year old son which is pretty cool. It's squares of denim and different kinds of cute fabric, some with horses because he adores them, and it's going to keep him toasty all winter long (needed in our old drafty farm house). The best part is that all the supplies cost me less than $20. I'm good at being frugal, too.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I love flea markets and yard sales. I decorated my house with these treasures.

When my friends took me in, they would not take money from me, so I painted all the rooms in the house for them, then painted the outside of the house for them, just happy that it was a ranch.

I developed an attitude of don't ever give up. Don't tell me that I can't do that" I can do whatever I want to do, meaning if I want to do something, I will figure out how to get it done. I may not be that tall, or that strong, but I will figure it out. I research a lot now.

I love gardening, and know most of the latin names for plants.

I can change auger belts, I have an abundance of tools and I know how to use
them.

I once bowled a 246.

I'm very competitive, but I am also a good loser.

I bought my home, and I am almost finished renovating it
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I was a baton twirler as a teenager, and can even twirl fire.
I teach gifted students in an elementary school.
I'm a voracious reader, and I have a green thumb.
I love to knit and do cross stitch.
I'm good at stand up comedy and have been the entertainment at several very large retirement parties .
I raised a daughter who had a physical disability ,and I did the physical therapy on her 2 x a day for many years. She's a surgeon now and healthy and happy. I guess I did something right.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I can wiggle my ears without touching them (I see Jaynie04 can do the same thing! I've never met anyone else that could )

I have a learning disability, but still got the top grade in all my qualifications.

I can just as proficiently do 'men's work' (fixing stuff, building stuff, demolishing stuff, carrying stuff etc) as I can 'women's work' (cooking, sewing, looking after kids etc). Mostly I love cooking stuff, fixing stuff and looking after kids when I get the chance.

I'm a very loyal friend and am willing to do anything for anyone (although that's not always a good thing - codependancy alert!!)

I love animals and as a result I am vegan.

I'm working on memorising all the words to Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere"
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Yesterday, I made some really delicious sweet and sour pork with noodles. I've experimented a lot with Asian style food over the years and I think I'm getting the hang of it!

The day before, I made a really yummy apple pie, with apples that came from our neighbour's tree so it cost almost nothing. (LOL, I asked first, that doesn't sound good does it?)

By the way, as for pie-making tips: When making apple pie, using brown sugar instead of white gives more flavour. And don't skimp on the cinnamon. For the pie crust, use lard. Nothing else is the same! And it must be chilled. Here is the recipe I use:

Easy Pie Pastry

In a large bowl, combine 5 1/2 cups unbleached flour with 2 tsp salt. With a pastry blender, cut in 1 lb (1 package) of chilled lard until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.

In a glass measuring cup, beat 1 large egg with 1 tbsp white vinegar. Add enough cold water to make 1 cup. Drizzle into flour mixture a bit at a time, mixing with a fork, until dough looks evenly moistened and holds together when pressed between fingers.

Press dough gently together and then divide into 6 equal balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and and pat into 4-inch (10 cm) discs. Chill for at least 30 minutes before using. Dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. Put any dough you won't be using right now into the freezer; it will keep for up to 2 months. (Note: I've probably used dough that was more like 3 months old, and it was fine!)

Roll on lightly floured surface. Each disc rolls to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Hint: roll on floured waxed paper, place the pie plate upside down on the dough, then flip the whole thing over to avoid having to pick up the rolled dough.

This recipe makes 6 single crust or 3 double crust pies. Or, you could make 2 big deep-dish pies in a 10-inch pie plate.
It's important not to overbake the pie if you want a tender crust. So, it's best not to use really hard apples (like granny smith) unless they are sliced very thin. Otherwise you'll have to bake the pie until the crust is too brown, just to soften the apples.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post

Looks like a lot of us bake/cook. We should have recipe sharing thread sometime!
Great idea!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'd like to revive this thread for all the newcomers who might be feeling downtrodden and unhappy and bad about themselves...

So please, for all those who have joined in the past month or so...tell us something wonderful or unique about you. We all spend so much time focusing on our alcoholic loved ones, and their recovery or lack thereof, that sometimes we forget about ourselves. We forget that it's possible to enjoy our own talents and gifts, to be proud of our own accomplishments.

Anyone?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I just spent about 10 min searching for this thread to revive it today..hahaha.. too funny.

Since I've already shared, I was hoping we could also just add recent accomplishments to this list

Eh.. I stumped my self when I used the word recent.

But lately my kids and I have been having a lot of fun. We went to a museum for Halloween and did crafts and lots of "spooky" things. We also went to an airplane show this past weekend and had fun. We've been spending good quality time together lately and I have completely resisted the urge to let my AH make me feel bad about it.

I also made the decision for myself to completely quit drinking. I had cut way back since joining Al-anon, but have made the choice to quit for good.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I raised 2 wonderful boys by myself - and got one through Virginia Tech with 2 business degrees and 1 is 3rd year at Longwood University studying business. They are kind , loving and just great kids! I am so proud of them! Oh- and I am super funny- I am a redhead kind of like Lucille Ball funny - my friends say I am the funniest person they know and blame me when they wet their pants - I tell them that is a personal problem! :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I can quote the movie "the princess bride" from start to finish
Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steelman1649 View Post
I can quote the movie "the princess bride" from start to finish
Inconceivable!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Inconceivable!
I almost said that exact same thing! LOL Strangely I was quoting a movie all the way through last night too. My daughter was reading Alice and Wonderland to me and I was quoting the movie instead. Yup.. isitme is just a giant kid!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I saw the title and thought 'there's nothing awesome left'. I know it's not true. My alcoholic girlfriend tells me how awesome I am all the time. I just don't feel awesome. So I guess this is a mental exercise. Let me try.

I can juggle 4 balls at once.
I have played guitar for 18 years, and I like that that's more than half my life.
I write music.
I am a walking Seinfeld quote encyclopedia.
I was ranked no. 1 in tennis for several years in the state I grew up in.
I'm loyal.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Amy55 said "I once bowled a 246."

I can add that I am a good sport. I once said that I would rather bowl my age (48) rather than my shoe size - 7.5. I bowled my shoe size but still had fun.

Like Wisconsin, I went to undergrad (in Wisconsin) and then on to law school. No scholarships though

I drive manual transmission and will continue to do so until they don't make them anymore.

I love McDonald's happy meal toys because they make me happy.

I have a very good eye for matching and coordinating colors, whether in clothing or in decorating.

I love flea markets, garage sales, estate sales and thrift stores and scored a pair of unworn Doc Marten boots that fit me for 6 bucks, normal retail $130.

I used to have a decent eye for photography and took classes in developing my own black and white film. Unfortunately, my camera is currently broken and the classes were ended due to the proliferation of digital imagery.

There is more to me than meets the eye - and that is what I like about me
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

When I was young I was a street juggler. Did shows in NY, New Orleans (Jackson Square) and all across Europe one summer. I still juggle today, but only for exercise.
This is a really fun thread.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I cant remember the last time I sat and thought of positive things about myself....so thanks for that!!

I have a brown belt in Taekwondo (the next is black, its been 3 years since I studied the art but I want to go back and get that belt)
I have always loved my determination..even my RAXH says that. There has never been anything that I wanted to accomplish that I haven't done....never! (will except save my marriage, but that takes two)
One of my favorite qualities is my ability to feel what others are feeling..put myself in their situation and understand and completely feel for them. some call that a bleeding heart, I call it being human.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I'm very competitive but don't need to win and can rejoice in the accomplishments of others. I'm caring and able to learn. I have long-term friendships that I've been able to maintain.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

This thread rocks!
  • I have a fierce sense of humor.
  • I have an awesome job that I actually look forward to every work day.
  • I'm loyal, although probably to a fault!
  • I'm a pretty great home cook (used to be a line cook back in the day).
  • I'm artistic and creative.
  • I'm a total mush for fuzzy creatures (and some not so fuzzy creatures as well).
  • I've been commuting by bicycle to work for the past 6 months, and in the process have lost 3 dress sizes worth of weight, have more energy now than when I was 19, and find peace and serenity in feeling the wind in my hair and my muscles moving in tandem to push me forward.
  • I'm pursuing my bachelor's degree in a field that I love at a school that I adore.
  • Since I stopped focusing all my energies on my STBXAH, I'm making lots of new friends and deepening my existing friendships.
  • I've been working my @$$ off in therapy and am starting to love and cherish myself for the first time in my life.
  • I can honestly say that I'm proud of who I am and where I am in life, despite being with a raging narcissist AH for 10 years, despite losing myself (and my self-respect and self-esteem) in that relationship. I busted my butt to get to where I am now, and I'm thrilled to be the architect of my own future, with the raging narcissist in my rearview mirror and a world of possibility in front of me.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I managed to survive having Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" stuck in my head for over a month