Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

you know you are no longer involved with an alcoholic when......

you know you are no longer involved with an alcoholic when......

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

...like i said in the earlier exA post...for me, i can go out, have TWO beers and MEAN it!!!!!! That's the flip side to his TWO beer lie!!!

:chatter
Old 12-15-2008, 02:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post! Thank you, here are a few from me

no sinking gut wrenching stomach pains when I put my key in the door - I know what's behind the door - my home is EXACTLY the way I left it

my money in my bank account

no more feelings of embarrassment when I introduce my AH as "and this is my husband"

my home is clean, doesn't stink of overflowing ashtrays and I don't trip over his dirty clothes

I can breathe - deep soul cleansing breaths

I laugh and smile more

I sing out loud for no reason other than I am happy to be here
Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The expensive bottles of wine given to you for your birthday are there the next day.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ago

A trip to the Doctors isn't to check for STD's
Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

... you no longer have to adjust your sleeping position to escape the drunk stink (or sleep in another room if it's too unbearable)

... you no longer anticipate the pain that inevitably followed the pleasure (sadly, still working on that -- old habits die hard)
Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Freed from the anguish

- when you can have good ideas, realize they're good ideas, and make them a part of your life.

- when you do something nice for yourself and aren't accused of being selfish or trying to hurt the A.

- when you can spend time with a friend for an afternoon chatting over coffee and not be accused of neglecting the A.

- when you can work on a jigsaw puzzle after work with quiet music playing and not be accused of loving the puzzle more than the A.

- when you start to love yourself again for WHO YOU REALLY ARE and realize that other people love you too - without you having to EARN their love.

- when you learn that it's OK to NOT trust some people.

- when you realize you really can trust yourself, your feelings, your thoughts, and your memories.

- when you share your feelings or thoughts with another person and they don't invalidate everything you just shared.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When the kids come home and they and their friends are happy to be there....

When I don't have to make things "just right" just so we have his check to pay bills on payday...

To sit in the comfort of our "home" and not worry that he's out there driving with the property deed on the hood of his truck every night......now its "HER" deed out there...
Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

a VERY LONG SHOT.. but when you are not envious of the people they are with.. you pity them... or much better off... those thoughts are no longer in your mind

when you can go out and know you dont have to discuss for hours to drive the drunkard's car to get home safely

when you know you got FREE from your own addiction to a troubled person and have much more in store than the cowards that take the same easy path that is the ONLY one they know!!

when you no longer feel you are the one who lost.

hope to reach that state soon!!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You know longer have to clean the BM fall out that ends up all over the toilets!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You can take pictures in the house without liquor bottles all over the background.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

you no longer have 3 hour stupid arguements over who is a better singer Keith Urban or Gary Allan (seriously he argued with me for over 3 hours!)

you can leave home and not worry that hes going to leave the door open and let the dogs get out
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You no longer define your life by what used to be in your life and instead define it by what you are building in your life.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

During a 4 month split (no contact)...

I knew I was in a good place because...........

No one griped at my dogs.

I didn't have to move his drunk butt off my side of the bed.

I didn't have to sleep in the chair because I couldn't move his drunk butt off my side of the bed.

I didn't have to pick his stuff up, only had 2 kids to take care of.

The biggie, I didn't have to worry about him totalling another vehicle because of alcohol. (had a 3:00am wake up call one morning and had to pick up the beer cans from the totaled, paid for truck so the cops wouldn't arrest him and my insurance wouldn't spike)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

you dont have to be a cab driver to them anymore, cause they were an idiot and lost their lisences
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You no longer are overwhelmed by the smell of the person you live with drenched in perfume/cologne. (they lose ability to smell and want to hide the alcohol odor)

No longer awoken at 3-4-5,etc AM cause the drunk cant find his/her own house keys in the pocketbook or the drunk lost the keys(again)

You no longer must listen to stories about the cell phone breaking (dropped while drunk)

No longer hear the daily and perpetual "I have a cold, that's why I am so tired and run down"

No longer hear the nasty mean insulting words

No longer anticipate hearing them

Can actually save and budget finances rather than "financing the liquor store/bar"

No longer smell the awful cigarette permeated clothes, hair, breath, car

No longer listen to vomiting and lame excuses about same

Can sleep in a dry bed, sit on a dry sofa.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

--No more fighting to make eye contact with the AH. They never want you looking into their eyes to see if they have been drinking,

--No more wondering what the abrubt 'strange errands' are. You knew they were going to the store and drinking before they got home.

--No more waking up on Saturday thinking about the binge weekend ahead.

--No more being the blame for his problems.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When the police department, the fire department and/or several ambulance crews cease to be regular "guests" at your holiday gatherings.......

When you calmly stop anyone in mid-sentece who tries to "help you out" by telling you what or how the A is doing.....

freya
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

when you don't think twice about everything you say

when you feel free to offer an opinion

when you look at your body in the mirror and are the only one going.....oh my lands, how things have changed. but, hey, it's ok.

when you begin to feel good about yourself and he's not there to blast it away
Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

when you answer people who ask how you are by talking about yourself.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

When you look forward to getting home after work, rather than getting a knot of stress in your stomach worrying about how aggressively drunk she'll be when you open the door.

When you can go to bed by yourself secure in the knowledge that you won't have someone stumbling into the bedroom in the middle of the night, turning on all the lights and/or falling over on top of your sleeping body.

When you remember that your feelings, opinions and values count.