Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-08-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of May 2020 Part 5

last part
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-4-a-20.html (Class of May 2020 Part 4)

D
Old 06-08-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Yah, first!
thanks for the new thread Dee.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 22 for me...
Sleep was disturbed my drunks getting loudly out of a taxi at 3.45 but I drifted back off to sleep and got up at 6 to get the dog out for a walk before I got ready and went into work.
Work was very busy this morning and I went in early, expecting to be busy. Because I was up early, got breakfast and some caffeine into be, I was more than capable of dealing with the workload. I know in the past when I've been up at all hours drinking, trying to get up for 6am was basically impossible and I was so lethargic
​​​​​​even when I did get up!

Was really happy with myself yesterday because I did batch cooking, plus cooked lunch for today and had fruit and snacks ready just to take in. Getting my organizational skills back is good, makes my sober life easier:-)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is awesome dear Zombie! ❤️

And congrats to everyone on their milestones and I hope you feel better today dear TC.

And Karen love, let's talk about your work situation if you like....might help you decide what you want to do. s xx ❤️
Old 06-08-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey gang. I'm here. My goal was 30 days and I couldn't do it. Right now my goal is 10 to 14 days. This is day 2.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, Classmates! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I'll be working in the garden this afternoon, but right now having coffee and visiting SR.
Maria, so glad you are on day 2. If you find thinking about higher numbers of days daunting, do you think it might be helpful to think in terms of just not drinking today? I know for me, as I fill out my daily spreadsheet, it seems the numbers of days go by slowly. But they add up one day at time, and now it's day 47.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 15. Hey Maria. I also have a 30 day goal. I am halfway and determined to reach it because it's been a couple years since I've gone 30 days. Good idea to set a smaller goal. Baby steps.

The biggest threat to my current sober streak is boredom. I am going out for walks every day. Probably averaging 10km per day walking around the city. Took a wrong turn on the weekend and ended up in a BLM protest march Haha. Have lost 5 pounds and have a bit of a tan though. Sure beats getting drunk inside all day on the sofa watching YouTube videos over and over....
Old 06-08-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay! Day 47 Lily!
And congrats on day 2 Maria! I think everyone is different, but I do best one day at a time, too. In the back of my mind I guess I have a 'next big date' kind of thought, which is now 3 months for me. But it's kind of a paradox, because I plan to stay sober forever, but I am only working on today. Anyway, I am so glad you're back. I've been where you are over and over again. It's hard at first, but gets easier fast.
I would love to talk this job issue over with you, Venus. It would be a great help.
I'm going to go put out some seeds before the three day rainy period starts.
See you all later today!
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's wonderful to see you dear Maria. ❤️
Old 06-08-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I was kind of ashamed to post, and I thought people would be critical. It's nice to be wrong about that

Sober369 I do think one day at a time is a good saying for a reason, it works.

Wastinglife- yeah boredom is a big challenge for me too. I bought a bike and have been cycling almost every day. It's a nice change from walking. I also have been doing jigsaw puzzles. Current rock music...White Stripes? I've been listening to their album White Blood Cells. There's another band called Spoon from Austin that I like. It is rock, but not heavy.

Lily is your spreadsheet just tracking each day? I'm a big fan of spreadsheets lol.

venuscat nice to be back.

Take care all.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My sponsor used to listen to me talking about whatever was bothering me, and then she would respond with this: Suze, did you have a drink today? And I would say no, and I would be thinking gosh, she didn't listen to anything I said....but I would answer no, I did not. And she would exclaim loudly: well that's fantastic!! Isn't it fantastic? And I would say yes, sure, and be smiling by this time.

And then she would say this: that's all you have to do, just for today, don't pick up.
Then she would give me a hug (or send one if we were on the phone) and say goodnight.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Free.

Mysti: Congrats on double digits!

RAL and Coz: one month very soon. Congrats!
I’m sure it’s great feeling a lot better these days.

Maria: Good job coming back to us! Keep posting.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks TC

Welcome back Maria, I was thinking of you yesterday. It's great to have you back with us and please never feel ashamed, we have all been there.

Had a good day at work although shattered now as have been outside all day. Really got such a lot done and it is amazing how much more productive we are when sober for a while. Not that I ever went into work under the influence but obvisouly the repeated drinking does not lead to productivity.

On another positive note I didn't even think of drinking when I was driving home. All I wanted was a big glass of water and to relax in a Radox bath!

Hope everyone is ok

Old 06-08-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome dear RAL.....bet you sleep like a happy log tonight. ❤️
Old 06-08-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus, dropping off already and it's not even 9pm
Old 06-08-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sleep well love. ❤️
Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus. you too.

hope you are getting through the day ok Maria, we are here for you. And freedomfries too, thinking of you. Hope you are ok.

Led in bed reading now and on SR of course! Day 28 coming to a close. Month 2 starts Thursday I suppose and it very critical for me as I've not gone beyond 60 days ever since I had 3.5 years and threw it all away. Interesting discussions about goals and 15/30/60 days etc. I dare not have a goal in one sense as think when I hit it I might think oh that's ok I'll drink now. even though I won't. Think it's more of a place to get past rather than a goal for me. Although every day is a place to get past and is a goal too. oh I don't know , sorry not making much sense. I alternate between thinking it is forever (when I'm feeling very positive) and please just let me get through today sober(when I'm having a bad day) so maybe for me it is both. It is forever but I have to take it ODAAT.

Anyway good night oh and doing the happy dance
Old 06-08-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

RAL maybe you could think of it as milestone rather than goal....milestones are important to recognize but not the stopping point...

I'm ok, making it through. About to go do somw writing and remind myself of my plans for dealing with cravings etc.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
RAL maybe you could think of it as milestone rather than goal....milestones are important to recognize but not the stopping point...

I'm ok, making it through. About to go do somw writing and remind myself of my plans for dealing with cravings etc.
oh yes I love that Maria thank you A milestone-perfect Hope you have a great day.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi all and welcome back Maria

On milestones and goals - I like the concepts. My goal is sober forever, but have milestones as my stepping stones along the way - sort of a way of knowing that the goal will be achieved despite it being only achievable when I'm no longer on this planet. My milestones were/are:
- days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- days that are multiples of 10 (10, 20, 30 etc)
- days that are multiples of 11 (11, 22, 33, 44 etc)
- completed months
- completed years.

So on the month milestones - one month for me today!

And a question or two out of curiosity. Do you use the 24 hour recovery thread? Do you find it helpful? I've had a look a few times but not sure that committing for a day on a thread will do much. I'd be keen to know your thoughts on whether it helps you in anyway or it helps others in knowing that there are lots of people that won't be drinking today.

My plan today is to finish the side deck, plant a heliconia garden and do a bit of house work. It is so great being sober enough to do things, although I am still struggling with motivation and procrastination has become far too real in my life. So I guess I am writing my list here to see if the written commitment helps me get out and do things.

Happy sober day and night to all.