# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of May 2010 Part 2

Here is Part 1:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2010-a-21.html
Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First post: part II!

King: my sleep has much improved in the third week. Until then I had experience similar to yours. Toward the end of my drinking, I would often wake up at two or three and have a couple to get back to sleep. I suppose your experience is a kind of ghost of that sort of physiological rhythm.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

King, I went through the exact same thing, and it was maddening as hell. I'd feel exhausted from 3PM-6PM, take a long nap, then stay awake until 3-4AM staring at the ceiling and wondering why, if I was so tired to take a nap in the middle of the day, I could not get to sleep.

I think Norther made a good point: much of sobriety is learning how to do things sober that we used alcohol for and I realize now that alcohol doubled as my sleep tonic, not just physically but mentally. It shut my mind down, calmed the obsessive thought, and allowed me a measure of peace so I get to sleep. It does get better but there are some great suggestions in the Insomnia/Nightmares subforum that may help.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow...thanks so much for the advice...it is very well received...I didn't know there was a Insomnia/Nightmares sub forum, but I will find it. Thanks again all..This SR is really something, the info, the words, and most of all everyone who takes a few seconds to reach out to someone as confused about my mind and body...it really gives me the reassurance I need. Thank you..ZZZZZZZZZ....SEE !!! There I go again !! LOL, Just kidding,was rambling there ...Whew, off to the Insomnia forum for more great advice. Peace all.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KofNY glad to hear that things are going well. Drasiack and Norther good to hear from you as well.
Things are still up in the air on my end as far as whether I have a job. I got it in my mind that I do not. This is strike two. Do not think think there is a third time. Starting an intensive outpatient program tomorrow night. Hopefully it goes well. Plan on going to a meeting tonight.
Everyone Take Care
Dean
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dkayvins125 View Post
KofNY glad to hear that things are going well. Drasiack and Norther good to hear from you as well.
Things are still up in the air on my end as far as whether I have a job. I got it in my mind that I do not. This is strike two. Do not think think there is a third time. Starting an intensive outpatient program tomorrow night. Hopefully it goes well. Plan on going to a meeting tonight.
Everyone Take Care
Dean
Good luck to you. My work is important to my sense of myself, so I understand how important having a job can be.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by dkayvins125 View Post
Everyone Take Care
Dean
Does your boss know what you're doing to turn things around for yourself? It might make a difference........

If it ends up that you don't have a job, can you file for unemployment? Looking back on this, you know, it might even be a blessing in disguise. Still I'm sure it's really hard to have to go through this when you're newly sober. I'll be thinking about you, Dean.:ghug3
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there, King - the first two weeks are the worst. Infact the first week I was SO exhausted during the day that it was mind boggling I couldn't sleep. My energy level is so much better now at 3+ weeks (and tons better than it ever was while drinking). That is helping alot because I can get up early and do things instead of sleeping in and making it all worse.

Hope you find some good ideas in the Insomnia thread!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul, rough day sober but really rough. Got my last paycheck and it was missing a few days. Not sure if my insurance is still good. My employer has heard it all before, pretty much that's it. My whole body feels jitter, nervous and my stomach hurts. I think that you might be right about it being a blessing in disguise. But did not really want to go out like this. Kids just got home from school well the oldest two sounds like they are jumping on a trampoline in the living room. Still researching the unemployment option and insurance options. Kind of really rough here in MI for jobs.
For what it is worth for those who have not gotten this point in their drinking all of this could have been avoided if I would have stayed with AA. Just my thoughts
Thanks
Dean
Old 05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the job thing isn't as bad as you think Dean. Good luck with the IOP.

D
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 12 and soo tired

This is day 12. Had a beautiful peaceful birthday tired but good but today we are just soo tired again. Can't get anything done. Grumpy. I know it will pass but damn I wish I just had a little a bit more energy.

I think I'm going to follow KoNY to the insomnia forum.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey gang of Mayflowers,

Took a while to find you! New thread and all...

First, Margareth - Happy Birthday!!! Albeit belated. Sorry that you are exhausted now. Sometimes I think that we are just more aware of being tired now - I think of functioning when hungover - now that is tiring haha, but there "was a reason for it". I think energy ebbs and flows and take advantage of the bursts and relax in the voids

Dkay- sorry about the job woes. I got laid off and I need to look at it as an opportunity to find a better place and a chance to think about what I really want to do with my life. I know that seems lame when the bills are coming in - but your sobriety will be priceless!

So on the insomnia front KONY and others, and this is park bench advice, I know that my Aunt, when she suffered from it, would force herself to get up and do something she hated - scrub the grout in between the bathroom tiles, vacuum, some off-putting task.. in time, her body/mind recognized that it was in her best interest to keep on snoozing..

Thanks for all your posts - and Artsoul, thank you for the over the top exclamatory, cartoonish post - it was like fireworks! Ohhh, ahhh!!!

TJ - yes, Ro-di-land! I spent some time there; the accents are supah! Sorry about the kids being mean, you handled it well! Educating people is all we can really do.

Have a great day everybody!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Porkchopped -- nice post! Ebb and flow of energy, I like it!

I'm going to tell you a funny phrase that you will definitely understand. My parents live in southeastern Mass. (near Ro-di-land). I took my kids to visit them last summer. My daughter and I were watching TV and this local ad came on for a "Furniture Super Store." The way they pronounced it, it was: "Supah Stoah:

My daughter and I laughed and laughed and that became a little inside joke between us. I know you can picture it since you lived there for a while I grew up there, so who I am to laugh!

Okay, off to work... hope everyone is good.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DKay - Good luck with the job thing.

Day 24 for me. I feel like I'm on a good kind of cruise control, though I don't want to grow complacent. When I go to a meeting I get reminded, usually by a newcomer or someone who can't yet stop drinking, how awful it was so very recently for me. I admire the fortitiude of those who can stay sober without meetings: I don't think I could.

Good luck to all,
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just checkin' in this morning to say a big hello!!

I got to sleep in until 8:30 this morning instead of getting up with my daughter at 6:45 (school is out for the summer now). I love getting a full 8 hours of sleep. I'm going to make some cinnamon rolls and bacon for my girls and then get to work. (The highlight was for you, porkchopped!)

trader - why is it they always choose those people to do infomercials?! I had to giggle at your post because there is an infomercial for a Ford dealership here and the guy has such a thick Mississippi accent that he can get three syllables out of a one syllable word. The word "Ford" becomes "Forwarduh."
Cracks me up.

It's great to see so many people hanging in there and going strong!!
I hope you get back your energy Margareth - I have alot more energy for the most part, but there are days that I'm still feeling totally wiped out. I know I have a few PAWS symptoms and it helps to understand that I'm not going to be my old self overnight. I love what porkchop pointed out:
Sometimes I think that we are just more aware of being tired now - I think of functioning when hungover - now that is tiring
Norther - "cruise control" is a good way to describe it. I hope none of us gets complacent, either. I know I can get bored easily and start looking for something exciting/interesting (i.e. a high?). I've always been a bit restless, not being able to sit still...... I find that coming here everyday refreshes my commitment, as meetings would, too.

Well, I think I'll quit here before I get too long-winded and write another epic post!

STAY STRONG, STAY SOBER, AND HAVE A FABULISTIC DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just Checking In - My computer crashed and I just got it up and running again. The good news is I didn't crash!!!!

Day 20 and counting.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Checking in, I had another close call today, my husband fell ill, I thought it was kidney stones so I took him to the doctor's office, while we were waiting, he had a sort of fainting spell without completely losing consciousness, but he couldn't use his legs, someone called the doctor out rapidly and we carried him over to the examination table, they called the paramedics who came and finally took him to a hospital for a cat scan. They told me to go home and wait for their call, I'm still waiting, I've been home for 2and a half hours now. I was really thinking about a drink, but I realized that I was, ONE very hungry, TWO very thirsty, and THREE very uptight, so I made myself a big sandwich and downed 3 big glasses of diet tonic water, and now I feel much better. Sure wish someone would hurry up and call me though.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

CalP - oh goodness, I hope things are OK with your husband. It's hard to face the daily grind when we're newly sober, much less major stuff. I'm SO proud of you for recognizing you were hungry, thirsty and stressed. You probably have alot of adrenaline going through your system, too, which can make us want to "normalize" things with a drink. Good for you for not giving in! Please let us know how things go. We're here for you!:ghug3

Glad you're back online, spud. I was having problems getting on the internet off and on earlier this week. Just about panicked. I need my SR! Congratulations on day 20 - that is totally fantastic!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 13

Hi everybody,

Woke up to day 13. I actually feel like doing things.
I can't believe we are actually approaching the two week mark and we both feel like we escaped a terrible faith. Hubby woke up to a nightmare in which he was distilling huge amounts of alcohol. LOL.

CalP. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Have you heard anything already?

Good for you for not giving in and recognising you HALT moment and dealing with it in a positive way.

I don't know how I would deal with an emergency like that but I know that drink would only make it worse.

Let us know eh?

Spudida, I can soo relate to the Whoopdidoo feeling. So your not drinking, what to do with all that new found sobriety and time to waste when Alcohol is such and efficient tool to deal with it all while feeling ecstatic when you first get drunk. LOL.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you hear soon (((CalP)))

Have a good weekend to the rest of you guys - Friday here

D