Notices

Class of May 2010 Part 2

Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I guess we're supposed to expect those kind of things at major milestones??
I believe we are. Mine happened two nights prior to the big 3--0-- haha. I was flippin my stuff , freaking out & had to utilize all my tools & of course SR pulled through for me. Here's to more freak outs if that means milestones are near & dear...

Happy holiday to you too!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey All,
Thank's so much for all the warm welcome's, It really is great to be back! Not much to report as I had to work Sat, Sun, and today. (greatfull). Going to set some time aside tonight for the Big book and hit the pillow sober. Tomorrow morning is going to be Awesome- just because!

Congrats on 30 Days Artsoul !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Artsoul, first, CONGRATS again on 30 days. May that be the first milestone of many to come. AA is great for meeting recovering alcoholics and learning from everyone in the group. It's collective wisdom and we help each other out.

Funny enough, I had some minor freakouts as I approached 30 days as well. My line of thought went: Hey, look at me, I've hit 30 days! I need to celebrate. To the bar!

Thankfully, they passed. Rock on, MayFlowers.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Atlas and Draciack - I feel better already, knowing you "seasoned" recoverers had a bit of the crazies, too. Thanks for that - I needed to hear it tonight.
Here's to more freak outs if that means milestones are near & dear...
You're right..... some days it's just a matter of getting through it, so that we can wake up sober the next day and start anew. Every day doesn't have to be super-dee-duper. (Don't know where that word came from! I think it's from when my kids used to watch Barney on TV - oh no......!)
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

hey Artsoul,

30 days
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I recounted my days: 29.

I had a disappointing experience yesterday, an AA meeting that seemed like a "bad" one to me, as unqualified as I know I am to judge. Some woman went on and on about the "only way to do this program" (hers), then some guy said he was "a grateful recovering alcoholic" because he now makes his bed. WTF, I thought, I could do that when I was drinking. I feel like I must have missed something, but I still don't know what it was. I went to a second meeting later in the day to clear my confusion, which helped a little, but I'm still taken aback, surprised to tell the truth at how disappointed I still am over the experience. Oh well: good luck to everyone. I'll go to another meeting today.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
RGO

Talking Day 17....

Hi all...
Congratulations on 31 days Artsoul... ! I'll be there soon.... well, in 14 days!

Hey Norther, you're doing very well.... 29 days! Don't let a "bad" meeting ruined your day. I want to start going but I'm not sure if I'm going to like them. I have gone to meetings before but it was a court order... so it doesn't really counts. I was playing games in my head the whole time.

Anyway, I wanted to stop and say hello to everyone! This is day 17 and I feel like a new person!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

29 days sober and everything is going great. Suprisingly, this time it hasn't been as hard for me. I have not felt some huge amazing transformation (my skin looks the same, I haven't lost 100 lbs, I didn't get better looking...), but each day I feel a little better. I also, for once, feel proud of myself. That is the real reason I did this and the part none of my friends get. I did it for me so I could feel produd of what I did. I still feel proud of myself for quitting smoking 9 years ago and I will feel proud of myself 30 years from now for this.

Thansk to everyone and good luck!

Collin
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Day 4 of the second two weeks

I guess that makes it 18 days of sobriety. Yey!

I'm just checking in to say hello and goodbye for now because i have to go to a funeral. Not a biggie but my I'm accompanying my aging parents in law to the other side of the Island and that means staying overnight.

The oldest brother of my father in law has passed away and I've sort of taken it upon myself to be there for them because they are getting on and getting more fragile and seem to really appreciate me being there.

They are teetotallers and can be a bit trying at times and in the past they have "driven me to drink" LOL.

I have come to love them very much though and their unconditional acceptance even when drinking of both me and my husband when we finally got way out of control last year when our lives collapsed around us (Not due to drinking, more the other way around) was awesome and I'm not worried that I will feel like drinking the next two days.

I found out how to get a good nights sleep by the way.

Watching dumb police series all evening is Not a good way to get to sleep.
Turning TV off and you electric blanket up high for a bit is

Have a good one everybody and a demain (That's French for see you tomorrow)

Peace
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi everyone! Just stopping by myself after a mid-day lunch break. I think I ate too much (and it wasn't a healthy meal), so now I may have to take a nap. aauughhh... Oh well, it will be a sober nap, so that makes all the difference.

Colin - welcome!!!! Congratulations to you (and Norther, too) for 29 days! I haven't lost 100 pounds either, but I sure do feel "lighter" inside! I don't think we realize how bad things really were until they start being good again. Glad to have you join us!!

Norther - Maybe the meeting was a fluke (or meant to help someone else, perhaps). I know that I get caught off guard these days when I have reactions to things. One minute, I'll be peaceful no matter what's going on, and the next minute I'm so impatient that I can hardly stand to take the time to open a box properly. Stuff like that. Or, maybe it's always been that way and I was just too focused on drinking or having a miserable hangover to notice. I know that meetings vary alot (around here they seem to "match the neighborhood," if that makes sense).

It's really hot here today, but here's a smiley for you Margareth: Keep that electric blanket going!!

Congrats to everyone else for another day of sobriety. It IS a BIG DEAL, so please give yourself alot of credit today. ODAAt!!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi May flowers - IN JUNE!!! Can you believe it? Time went by fast and slow it seems.

Thanks for all of you posting your progress, lots to catch up on and brings a real smile to my face to hear how everyone is fairing.

Especially rewarding to hear all the near/over 30 days - awesome job!

I am a little down as I am starting to face the fallout from my DUI. In NO WAY do I want sympathy; I actually credit that event for preventing me from potentially hurting someone and for making me realize that I needed to stop drinking. Just basically writing down that I have apprehension about going to an hour long orientation before attending the 4 two and a half hour classes that I must complete along with my 90 day license suspension that should start soon.

It helps me to read what Norther wrote about his last meeting and artsoul's response too - I will take away what I put in and need to see this as a continuous learning experience - it doesn't stop because I stopped drinking. K- sorry for my depressing out loud self pity/reality check

Thanks for being here you guys - through the positive and negative

Hugs,

Pork
Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Never as bad as it seems

Just returned from my orientation and it was just outlining the steps that I need to take to move toward license reinstatement. I have a counseling appt with the program director on Monday.

Happily I will be able to report that I am sober and that I have a support system in place - and a group right here on SR that is helping me with the successes and struggles.

So thanks! I definitely still have my gratitude.

Hope that you all are having a great day.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Porkchopped, thanks for writing about your experience and glad to see things went okay tonight. I remember someone mentioning the phrase--"I needed every drink to hit bottom." I'm the same way. I knew my drinking was a problem 2+ years ago but I always put it on the backburner. There was school and then work and then girls and then more school, and through it all my drinking escalated in small bits, to the point where I never really noticed. I really had to see the damage it could cause before my eyes were opened, and although I still have no idea what caused that moment of clarity, I'm grateful for it every damn day.

Best of luck, everyone.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Complimentary half hour broadband

I'm on the other side of the Island near a huge volcano called Taranaki. A real cone shaped active volcano. Awesome. The motel gave me a complimentary half hour broadband so I thought I'd call in.

No cravings, no restlessness and an electric blanket to melt me to sleep.:rotfxko

Stay sober all you good people and don't do what I would not do.

A demain
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 30!!

I went to a great men's meeting last night, and yesterday I started my 4th step work. Now I suppose I have to find a sponsor, though I seem to resist that. I fret, I think, about giving up some degree of authority and control to someone else: I hate being told what to do! I assume that the lesson here is humility. Anyway, I feel like I am making some progress in the steps. Good luck to all today.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
RGO

Day 18...

Hello Kids! How is everybody today?!

I'm having a busy day, but everything is good. Day 18 today, ...I'm going to start a meditation class this evening, so hopefully it will help me to control my stress and sleep better.

It's about 92 °F in Houston TX today... about 34 °C ....HOT!

Just wanted to stop by to say hello!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Norther - YEEHAH! 30 days!!!!!!!!! Way to go. I love success stories - Keep up the good work!

Pork Baby, I'm so happy for you that things were not as bad as you thought they might be. I know I tend to fear the worse sometimes and then things work out OK. I really need to take life one day at a time, and not just my drinking.

RGO - great idea on the meditation thing. Let us know how it goes! I can relate to the heat - I think we skipped spring down here in the South.

GO MAYFLOWERS - you're bloomin' fantastic!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I think we skipped spring down here in the South.
Seriously, heat --> Then

And sometimes I fantasize about

Excuse me while I jump, fully clothed, into a pool.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Norther, congrats on 30 days!!