Notices

kolonpin issue

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question kolonpin issue

i got perscribed .5 kolonpin, as needed. well i took it and it worked the first rew times. but then i would take it and wouldnt feel a thing. id take one and a half to get the reliefe from anxiety i needed. is this normal? im worried that my tolerence will go up and up till i have to take like 10 to get the reliefe. anyone know what i should do, or have had similar experieces?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you spoken to the prescribing Dr? That's the first thing I'd do TL

D
Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. Your tolerance will grow and grow, especially if you are desiring to 'feel something' Get out now. I'm in the midst of Benzo withdrawals (valium this time). and they are awwwwffffuuuulllllllll. I started off on 7.5mg a day and ended up on 150mg a day. I could easily have climbed up way higher too.

I am convinced benzodiazepines are the devils drug. Once you stop the anxiety comes back ten fold and they are so hard to kick.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My past experience with Kolopin and similar Benzo type drugs did cause me to become addicted to them. I was on a very high daily dose by way of doctor shopping. The withdraw from a high daily dose is traumatic and can be life treating. At least it was was for me.

I currently have great respect for the prescribed .5 mg daily dose of Avativan I now take. I generally can go a few days to a few weeks in-between doses. I'm very grateful that I can avoid abusing my Avativan because I'm working a daily recovery program.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never taken it, but my stepsister did and I can tell you what happened with her. She became tolerant, started taking more and more. Her doctor told her "it's okay" but it wasn't.

She ended up in a medical detox (she also has serious heart issues) for over a week. Found an addictionologist that she works with along with her medical doctor.

I currently take xanax, something I used to abuse the heck out of. However, I've been totally honest with my dr. about my addiction history, and it's a low dose, limited prescription, and that was MY request, which she was more than willing to agree to.

Benzos have their purpose, but they can turn into a serious problem. If you find yourself taking more than what is prescribed, I'd be honest with your doctor. If they are "fine" with you upping the dose, as my stepsister's dr. was, I'd get a second opinion.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take .5 klonopin once a day with a second dose if I feel I need. Been on for 3 years. I rarely take the second .5. I also use to have panic attacks that put me in the hospital where they would have to cardio convert my heart to stop the afib.

The first few days I felt that "feeling" but that didn't last very long at all. I didn't care about "feeling" medicated. I wasn't looking for a high. I just wanted my brain to stop ruminating and for my panic attacks to stop. This medication did it for me. I have never taken more than what was prescribed. The only way I can tell I take anything now is by the results. No more panic attacks. No more spinning my brain into a loop I can't stop. I could care less that I "feel" it. I take other medications that keep my heart beating right and don't feel medicated. It just works and that's good enough for me.

Everyone is different and you have to work with a good doctor. This was the only drug I've ever had prescribed that has worked for me. I can't speak for others. I do know that if I was looking for that original medicated feeling I'd be in trouble because that goes away and for sure I would be treating it just like alcohol. I guess I'm lucky. I take other medications for my afib and just see it as what it is. Medication. A pill is just a pill to me. A wine bottle....whole nother story.

Just me. I know other people who have had trouble but for whatever reason it has worked for me and saved me from having to have heart surgery.

No medical advise...just my experience. Be straight up with your doctor and if you like that high you get when you first get on it that will disappear real quick I'd be talking to them quick.

I hope you find what helps you TigerLover.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take Klonopin now as I am trying to get off of benzos altogether. I have been on Xanax for about 6 years with most of the abuse happening when I drank. A lot of people have used the Ashton Manual to get off benzos. I switched to K because it has a longer half life and I keep cutting the dosage every week. Sleeping is the biggest challenge for me right now.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take 1 mg of Klonopin for anxiety and I will say this...it's extremely addictive. I take them as I need them, and I don't take much, because all of the medication that I am on takes care of my anxiety; I only take the Klonopin for breakthrough panic attacks.

I used to take a lot of them...and yes, your tolerance does go up and you have to take more to get the desired effect. For me, it just makes me sleepy.

I think you should definitely try to stick with minimal pills and try something different...meditation, talking to yourself, behavior therapy....there are a zillion other things that can be done instead of taking a lot of Klonopin. Just my opinion though. I hope you feel better. <3
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have had a prescription for Klonopin for over 6 years now. Initially when it was prescribed the doctor wanted me to take 1 mg twice a day and 0.5 mg up to 3 times a day as needed for breakthrough anxiety. I am a recovering alcoholic who has no history of drug abuse but I am also a retired nurse/paramedic so I knew how addicting this medication can be. Because of that I did not take it as prescribed and only took the 0.5 mg as needed rather than also taking 1 mg twice a day. This same doctor at one point had me on 10 different medications before I finally said enough was enough. She would just throw meds at me every time I came in with a new or worsening problem. Needless to say when I changed doctors they agreed that taking the Klonopin as 0.5 - 1 mg as needed up to three times a day was a much more responsible way to take the medication.

That said, Klonopin is the last thing I reach for. I try breathing exercises, mindfulness exercises, meditation, mindful disassociation, exercise, yoga, and other relaxation techniques prior to considering Klonopin. I also have changed my diet to a more healthy one. I eat more whole grains, fruits/vegetables, organic products, and less fats and sugars. It may be in my head but I feel like my anxiety level is lower when I am eating healthier. Who knows maybe there is a dietary component to it and even if there is not then what can it hurt to eat a little healthier?

I do agree with Dee that you should talk with your doctor. Communication with your doctor is very important. My experience with the doctor that just kept throwing meds at me helped me to realize just how important having a doctor that listens is. If you feel your doctor is not listening to you and working with you in your healthcare then find one that will.