Thread: kolonpin issue
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I have had a prescription for Klonopin for over 6 years now. Initially when it was prescribed the doctor wanted me to take 1 mg twice a day and 0.5 mg up to 3 times a day as needed for breakthrough anxiety. I am a recovering alcoholic who has no history of drug abuse but I am also a retired nurse/paramedic so I knew how addicting this medication can be. Because of that I did not take it as prescribed and only took the 0.5 mg as needed rather than also taking 1 mg twice a day. This same doctor at one point had me on 10 different medications before I finally said enough was enough. She would just throw meds at me every time I came in with a new or worsening problem. Needless to say when I changed doctors they agreed that taking the Klonopin as 0.5 - 1 mg as needed up to three times a day was a much more responsible way to take the medication.

That said, Klonopin is the last thing I reach for. I try breathing exercises, mindfulness exercises, meditation, mindful disassociation, exercise, yoga, and other relaxation techniques prior to considering Klonopin. I also have changed my diet to a more healthy one. I eat more whole grains, fruits/vegetables, organic products, and less fats and sugars. It may be in my head but I feel like my anxiety level is lower when I am eating healthier. Who knows maybe there is a dietary component to it and even if there is not then what can it hurt to eat a little healthier?

I do agree with Dee that you should talk with your doctor. Communication with your doctor is very important. My experience with the doctor that just kept throwing meds at me helped me to realize just how important having a doctor that listens is. If you feel your doctor is not listening to you and working with you in your healthcare then find one that will.