Notices

Coping with anxiety and panic disorders

Old 06-07-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ndm

Coping with anxiety and panic disorders

hey guys i am ndm, it seems that a lot of us seem to be struggling with anxiety and panic disorders. I myself have struggled with it all my life, i have found things that work and things that don't do squat. I will share some advice with things that have helped me over the years

What is anxiety?

Anxiety is a psychological and physiological state characterized by cognitive, somatic, emotional, and behavioral components. These components combine to create an unpleasant feeling that is typically associated with uneasiness, fear, or worry. Anxiety is a generalized mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which occurs in the presence of an external threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats that are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable.

Now don't get me wrong anxiety in small doses can be quite good for us, keeps us out of trouble, lets us know of threats but when it comes in such high doses it starts to become a problem, affecting are everyday life

What are symptoms:

Physical:
heart palpitations, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. Physically, the body prepares the organism to deal with a threat. Blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, blood flow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the fight or flight response)

Mental:
Feeling of impending doom, wanting to jump out of your body, feeling of going crazy, Deja Vu, feeling tense of jumpy, hard time concentrating, watching and waiting for signs of something bad to happen, trapped in your own mind, and feeling like everything is scary.

There are many more physical and mental symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder those where just some

what can you do to fight anxiety:

well there is many different approaches to fighting anxiety. Everybody is different and reacts differently, this is what worked for me:

Sleep patterns has a major part of anxiety. Being tired makes it almost impossible to think straight which well feed into your anxiety just think of it as a v8 engine you need all 8 spark plugs for it to run perfectly you take two out (spark plugs=the number of hours of sleep you get) runs like ****. for your body to function properly you will need a full 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is the most important part of health well that and eating

I suggest if your sleeping patterns are out of wack you stay up all night and all day, try and make it to at least 9pm. This well reset your sleep pattern don't forget you will want to set your alarm for 7am. If you really want to conquer your anxiety disorder you will need to be getting up at 7am everyday except Saturday and Sunday and in bed by 1:30am except Saturday and Friday. you will start feeling better within a week

Another important thing to do with anxiety is excersize this can work miracles for anxiety if your anything like me, i let the anxiety control my life and never went anywhere, gained a lot of weight. i do urge this try and get out for a walk everyday even if it is just around the block, try doing push ups sit ups until you can't do anymore doing 10-100 of each a day can work miracles for your body if your not afraid to go to the gym join the gym and go every second day for an hour or two just try and get out for an hour each day doesn't matter where

A very important thing with anxiety is eating healthy the one thing i didn't do for a long time which affected me a great deal. try and get 3-4 servings of vegtables or fruit a day, fish 1-2 a week(does wonders for the brain) wheat 2-3 servings a day even if its cereal and toast in the morning) meat is also another great food for the body. Dairy is also very good thought don't go overboard on the eggs but 2-3 times a week is good

i am going to emphasize this alot NEVER SKIP OUT ON ONE MEAL that saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day is true, breakfast is your fuel for the day without it your going nowhere

YOU ALWAYS WANT 3 MEALS A DAY

With a good balance of sleep, excersize and food you will feel great

Some less important groups include:

Personal Hygiene: brushing your teeth(twice a day), shower(once a day or twice)cleaning your ears(three to four times a week), Flossing(everyday), shaving(for guys) do this and you will feel better about yourself and more confident

Cleanliness this one was really important for me, as i was finding every time the house got dirty my mood would go downwards, just keeping your house clean and your car can make you feel better and more proud that you own it this includes vacuuming, dusting, washing, and other stuff. and from my experience people respect you more if you take good care of your stuff

Here are some tips to help if you feel an anxiety attack coming on:
Shower, pleasure urself(it really works and research proves it), reading, watching t.v, talking with someone, going for a walk, a warm glass of milk

And my favorite one(this one actual works to)
BREATHING EXCERSIZE
Breath in for four seconds
Hold it for four seconds
Breath out for four seconds
Hold it for four seconds

And just keep repeating

if you are finding anxiety is controlling your life, it may be best if you talk to your doctor he can also give you tips on how to manage it and in some cases medication

Always remember anxiety is made up of fear, fear is made up of beleives, who made the believes? you did, when it all comes back you were the one who made the fear. that would make it not true. So stop worrying

thanks for reading

ndm

Last edited by ndm; 06-08-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ndm

Learning to become relaxed is a great method of conquering anxiety. If you learn how to relax your body, your mind is quick to follow. Muscle relaxation is one kind of relaxation that will give you results. You thoroughly tense each muscle group in your body, holding the tension for about ten seconds and then releasing the tension for another ten seconds. Practice relaxation exercises once a day. You will begin to feel more relaxed when you practice relaxation exercises every day.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ndm

The B Vitamin Group

This group of vitamins can contribute significantly to your overall mental and physical health. Specifically, the following vitamins from the B group can help:

* Niacin (B3) - Niacin is a very important vitamin for energy production. Two unique forms of vitamin B3 are required for the body to convert proteins, fats, and carbohydrates into usable energy. Niacin is also used to synthesize starch that can be stored in the body's muscles and liver for eventual use as an energy source. Deficiencies in vitamin B3 are thought to be linked to depression and anxiety, as B3 helps to support the neurotransmission system of the brain. For this same reason, adequate levels of Niacin are also thought to help prevent Alzheimer's disease.

Foods rich in Niacin include chicken, tuna, salmon and mushrooms.

* Thiamin (B1) - Thiamin rich foods help your body by providing energy, coordinating the activity of nerves and muscles and supporting proper heart function. Low levels of thiamin in the body can cause restless nerves and irritability, like that seen by patients suffering from panic and anxiety disorders. While it is not believed that a lack of thiamin actually causes these disorders, recommended levels of thiamin in the body can help improve how a person with panic or anxiety disorder feels.

Foods rich in thiamin include tuna, sunflower seeds, black beans, and yellow corn.

* Vitamin B6 - B6 is one of the best vitamins for supporting the nervous system, so it can help support the body in warding off all sorts of feelings like sadness, depression, anxiety and panic. It is also helpful in the breakdown of sugars and starches in the blood, supporting proper insulin function, which helps provide energy and prevent fatigue.

Foods rich in Vitamin B6 include bell peppers, spinach, bananas and tuna.

* Vitamin B12 - Vitamin B12 is a critical nutrient in supporting the production of red blood cells, preventing anemia. In addition, it promotes proper development of nerve cells and helps your cells metabolize protein, carbohydrate and fat. Clinical depression and memory loss can sometimes be linked to a Vitamin B12 deficiency. In addition, heart palpitations and fatigue, just as often seen in anxiety patients, are side effects of being deficient in B12.

Foods rich in B12 include baked snapper, venison, scallops and yogurt.

In addition to these B vitamins, it is recommended that you ensure that your levels of Biotin, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Pantothenic acid, all B vitamin derivatives, is adequate, to support overall physical and mental health.

Foods such as Calf's liver, beans and sunflower seeds are all good choices to provide a wide variety of B vitamins.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ndm

FORGOT to add one important group

RELATIONSHIPS – Difficult, sour, or abusive relationships are HIGH on the list of major stress triggers. Working towards healthy relationships is probably the number one thing you can do to help reduce unwanted and potentially life-threatening stress-related side affects.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ndm

Here are some other steps to relieve anxiety

1. Take One Step At A Time
It sounds like simple common sense, but most people don't do it. Most people find themselves thinking far in advance, and thus taking on the stress of everything involved from here to there. For example, everyone knows that planning a wedding is a stressful situation. There are many facets to be considered and completed, and it can seem overwhelming to attempt to focus on them all. Instead, break the planning into a series of steps, and focus on one step at a time, disregarding everything else for the moment. When you have completed one step, simply move on to the next. This will help to ease the burden as well as provide a well-deserved sense of accomplishment as each subsequent step is completed. The plan can be applied to almost any series of tasks, from a day of spring cleaning to a long-term career goal.

2. Find a Relaxing Medium
You may already have a favorite activity that relaxes you and not realize it. Basically, anything that can remove the focus from the current object stress
and place it somewhere else can help relieve stress, at least for a small while. Try reading a book or magazine, going for a walk if the weather is nice, exercising (a great stress reliever), or finding something that is ultimately productive. Stress and anxiety can tend to fester during periods of inactivity, as there is nothing else to occupy the mind. Being productive not only takes your mind off of whatever you may be worrying about, but once again, a feeling of accomplishment can help change your mood from one of anxiety to one of contentment.

3. Ask Yourself This Question: Is There Anything I can Do?
This refers to something that may be beyond our ability to control. For example, if you recently had a job interview, it makes sense to worry about how well you were received and whether you presented yourself as a good candidate for the job. But since the interview has already been conducted, it is actually pointless to worry, as there is now nothing you can do that will change the outcome. You must first realize this, then accept it. Accept the fact that you are worrying for no reason, and let events play out. Until they do, focus on the positive. Another example is the current fear of bird-flu. Obviously something beyond your immediate control, it is also a significant problem to express some worry over. Some worry is normal, and you can't be faulted for it. But it shouldn't ruin your day. Realize and accept that it is something beyond your control, and resume your normal life. Unless the bird-flu is beating down your door, it is pointless to spend too much time worrying about it while instead you should be out enjoying life and enjoying whatever day-to-day happiness you can find.

4. Think Positive
Remarkably, it works. You may have to force yourself to do it if you are an overly cynical person, but think positively for just a few days, and you will find yourself not only more relaxed, but perhaps even more energetic. Stress and anxiety is draining, and recuperation times can vary. Positive thinking enables you to overcome your anxiety and find happiness and serenity. You will find that simple mundane things that used to cause you a modicum of stress before no longer affect you adversely.
Do not confuse thinking positively with being unrealistic. Not every situation in life is a positive one, unfortunately, and must be dealt with accordingly. If you are in an argument with your spouse, for example, you cannot simply think positive and say, "Oh well, I know things will be fine." They may very well be, but the fact remains that you must deal with said argument there and then in order for things to be fine.

5. Compare to the Big Picture

Worried about money? Love? Or just annoyed that you had to wait on line too long at the bank and then the teller was slow. Or maybe that guy driving in front of you was braking too much. Perhaps something was said by a friend that rubbed you the wrong way, even though she didn't mean it.

In light of everything else going on the world, is it really that big of a deal if you had to wait on line five extra minutes. Does it matter much that someone wasn't driving in compliance with how you think they should drive when compared to more serious concerns?

You need to create a Stress Scale, if you will, and see where each and every thing that causes you stress rates on that scale. You will most likely find that some things are just not worth it. Trivial things over the course of the day have a habit of adding up until we feel that stress knot in the back of our heads ready to explode. Putting things in perspective will simplify your day as you casually decide that each trivial thing simply doesn't deserve another moment of your time and energy.

There are other methods of dealing with stress and coping with anxiety, and you must find the ones that work best for you. Hopefully these few tips can help alleviate some of that stress we feel everyday.

Last edited by ndm; 06-08-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by ndm View Post
hey guys i am ndm, it seems that a lot of us seem to be struggling with anxiety and panic disorders. I myself have struggled with it all my life, i have found things that work and things that don't do squat. I will share some advice with things that have helped me over the years

What is anxiety?

Anxiety is a psychological and physiological state characterized by cognitive, somatic, emotional, and behavioral components. These components combine to create an unpleasant feeling that is typically associated with uneasiness, fear, or worry. Anxiety is a generalized mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which occurs in the presence of an external threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats that are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable.

Now don't get me wrong anxiety in small doses can be quite good for us, keeps us out of trouble, lets us know of threats but when it comes in such high doses it starts to become a problem, affecting are everyday life

What are symptoms:

Physical:
heart palpitations, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. Physically, the body prepares the organism to deal with a threat. Blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, blood flow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the fight or flight response)

Mental:
Feeling of impending doom, wanting to jump out of your body, feeling of going crazy, Deja Vu, feeling tense of jumpy, hard time concentrating, watching and waiting for signs of something bad to happen, trapped in your own mind, and feeling like everything is scary.

There are many more physical and mental symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder those where just some

what can you do to fight anxiety:

well there is many different approaches to fighting anxiety. Everybody is different and reacts differently, this is what worked for me:

Sleep patterns has a major part of anxiety. Being tired makes it almost impossible to think straight which well feed into your anxiety just think of it as a v8 engine you need all 8 spark plugs for it to run perfectly you take two out (spark plugs=the number of hours of sleep you get) runs like ****. for your body to function properly you will need a full 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is the most important part of health well that and eating

I suggest if your sleeping patterns are out of wack you stay up all night and all day, try and make it to at least 9pm. This well reset your sleep pattern don't forget you will want to set your alarm for 7am. If you really want to conquer your anxiety disorder you will need to be getting up at 7am everyday except Saturday and Sunday and in bed by 1:30am except Saturday and Friday. you will start feeling better within a week

Another important thing to do with anxiety is excersize this can work miracles for anxiety if your anything like me, i let the anxiety control my life and never went anywhere, gained a lot of weight. i do urge this try and get out for a walk everyday even if it is just around the block, try doing push ups sit ups until you can't do anymore doing 10-100 of each a day can work miracles for your body if your not afraid to go to the gym join the gym and go every second day for an hour or two just try and get out for an hour each day doesn't matter where

A very important thing with anxiety is eating healthy the one thing i didn't do for a long time which affected me a great deal. try and get 3-4 servings of vegtables or fruit a day, fish 1-2 a week(does wonders for the brain) wheat 2-3 servings a day even if its cereal and toast in the morning) meat is also another great food for the body. Dairy is also very good thought don't go overboard on the eggs but 2-3 times a week is good

i am going to emphasize this alot NEVER SKIP OUT ON ONE MEAL that saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day is true, breakfast is your fuel for the day without it your going nowhere

YOU ALWAYS WANT 3 MEALS A DAY

With a good balance of sleep, excersize and food you will feel great

Some less important groups include:

Personal Hygiene: brushing your teeth(twice a day), shower(once a day or twice)cleaning your ears(three to four times a week), Flossing(everyday), shaving(for guys) do this and you will feel better about yourself and more confident

Cleanliness this one was really important for me, as i was finding every time the house got dirty my mood would go downwards, just keeping your house clean and your car can make you feel better and more proud that you own it this includes vacuuming, dusting, washing, and other stuff. and from my experience people respect you more if you take good care of your stuff

Here are some tips to help if you feel an anxiety attack coming on:
Shower, pleasure urself(it really works and research proves it), reading, watching t.v, talking with someone, going for a walk, a warm glass of milk

And my favorite one(this one actual works to)
BREATHING EXCERSIZE
Hold it for four seconds
Breath out for four seconds
Hold it for four seconds

And just keep repeating

if you are finding anxiety is controlling your life, it may be best if you talk to your doctor he can also give you tips on how to manage it and in some cases medication

Always remember anxiety is made up of fear, fear is made up of beleives, who made the believes? you did, when it all comes back you were the one who made the fear. that would make it not true. So stop worrying

thanks for reading

ndm
Thank you so much for all this useful information!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im with sweets, thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good posts ndm. thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the breathing exercises. I have been dealing with anxiety & panic attacks for over 20 years.

Sites to vist:

Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks

Audio Programs (Click on agree to terms)
Overcome Anxiety Disorder, Cure Anxiety Attacks, and Conquer Social Anxiety with Self Help

Here is a good technique that can help.

All of the best

NB

Last edited by NewBeginning010; 08-08-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ndm

wow 20 years i couldn't even imagine your ten times the person i could ever dream of being

but you got to find what works for you its different for everybody

thanks for the great responses guys

NDM
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

You need to create a Stress Scale, if you will, and see where each and every thing that causes you stress rates on that scale. You will most likely find that some things are just not worth it. Trivial things over the course of the day have a habit of adding up until we feel that stress knot in the back of our heads ready to explode. Putting things in perspective will simplify your day as you casually decide that each trivial thing simply doesn't deserve another moment of your time and energy.
I like this alot.
I think I will try this on a 1 - 5 scale, with 1 being no stress and 5 being over the top stress/anxiety - past needing my xanax. 2 would be the "good" stress that helps us to perform well. Three would be when we start to feel pressured and 4 is beginning anxiety; both would be when a xanax would still be helpful.

See, I've noticed that I often get past the 3-4 scale, and I'm on 5 before I even realize that I'm totally stressed out. It's when things pile up. It seems I do well dealing with issues, but, then, all of a sudden, I notice I've got like multiple major issues to deal with at one time, and still my job, home, bills, son, pet, etc.... and I'm past the point of no return, and I've never even taken a xanax to start to help myself, because I haven't realized the amount of stress I'm dealing with until it's too late! It's no wonder my stomach is red raw and in pain! :wtf2 So, I think having a visual scale will help remind me of the realities I am dealing with.

Thanks for this tip.

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ndm View Post
5. Compare to the Big Picture

Worried about money? Love? Or just annoyed that you had to wait on line too long at the bank and then the teller was slow. Or maybe that guy driving in front of you was braking too much. Perhaps something was said by a friend that rubbed you the wrong way, even though she didn't mean it.

In light of everything else going on the world, is it really that big of a deal if you had to wait on line five extra minutes. Does it matter much that someone wasn't driving in compliance with how you think they should drive when compared to more serious concerns?

There are other methods of dealing with stress and coping with anxiety, and you must find the ones that work best for you. Hopefully these few tips can help alleviate some of that stress we feel everyday.
I really like this.

Fantastic tips, thanks a lot!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

dealing with anxiety

ndm, I've dealt with anxiety as long as I can remember. It led to my drinking initially, and untimately to my alcoholism. At it's worst, anxiety/panic led to agaoraphobia. I was housebound for a long time, until I finally sought medical help. For me, therapy, medication, practicing relaxation techniques; together with regular exercise and sleep have all been key to my recovery. And of course staying sober. I still strugge to keep all of these pieces in place on a daily basis, but I have hope now, where I once had none. Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who posted. The last 2 nights I have been getting panic attacks and get a really upset stomach where I felt like throwing up. I have not been eating well and I know better. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I read this I felt better Cause anxiety is controlling my life and I'm 18 and I shouldn't be like this but , what u put I'm gunna start doing like excerising and sleeping 8 hours cause I'm up all night :/
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

About thirty years ago I suffered a shock which lead to panic attacks, it took me about eight years to realise and cope with what was happening and am extremely proud of that battle and getting over it, all I seem to have lost is my concentration. and gained loads of empathy for people suffering mental conditions.

Now about three years ago I ended up in hospital due to nerves on one side of neck and head swelling up, and found out the cause was not realising to take B vits, as I have been an heavy drinker for thirty years....having the prescribed B vits cleared a lot of symptoms up that I did not realise were related to deficiency, but about a year later other stuff started happening , had to trial and error with the B vits (as docs do not contain full range) , also the symptoms were triggering panic attacks, and was also stopping and starting alcohol, so was getting very confused with discerning what was withdrawal symptoms, B problem and associated panic attacks and anxiety.Or mixtures of them

Anyway recently, say in the last five weeks , after taking extra B vits, cutting down on , caffiene, plus use of an herb (yellow dock..I have used this before with good results as I thought the condition may be pernicious anaemiia) anyway I am positive I have some underlying condition or nervedamage that was a trigger for the attacks, as I still get these symptoms, trying to get this point across though to the doctors is a mammoth struggle as they just assume it is anxiety or panic attacks .
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Missed a bit out of that last post, is that my condition has improved since tackling it as pernicious anaemia (using yellow dock and increasing B12) but doctors have never said this to be the problem, is there hit and miss with B12 tests? as my niece a non drinker has a problem with this and I think her test results differed ie one showed deficiency, and then later showed OK.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

u guys may want to read the book " toxic parents" and then find out where comes our problems of anxiety in recovery
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivone V. View Post
u guys may want to read the book " toxic parents" and then find out where comes our problems of anxiety in recovery
I've ordered that book and found a couple more while searching it as well. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All good info in the above posts. Well...this subject I know first hand! Suffered with panic disorder from about 20 or more years, and because back in those days you didn't hear much on the subject turned into agoraphobia! It was really the turning point in my life, and led me into the field of healing and spiritual work. I don't think I would have gone this way if not for it. From another perspective, and from experience, most people I worked with...all over the world, those that had panic disorder were actually empaths (those who are very sensitive and can feel what others are feeling), unfortunaty didn't realize this was a gift and not a disease. Once I realized this, just turning my mind from sickness to learning to better operate a gift made a huge difference and it can take years to manage the sensitivity that goes a long with being an empath. This book helped a lot, perhaps pick it up....Judith Orloff (Intuitive Healing). She is a psychologist who treats hundreds of people that have panic disorder who are actually empaths. I have also found those that are addicts are extremely sensitive and intuitive as well, but didn't understand how to use their gifts, and covered with addictions. So perhaps...to look from dis-ease to working with inner gifts is yet another healing.