View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ndm

Coping with anxiety and panic disorders

hey guys i am ndm, it seems that a lot of us seem to be struggling with anxiety and panic disorders. I myself have struggled with it all my life, i have found things that work and things that don't do squat. I will share some advice with things that have helped me over the years

What is anxiety?

Anxiety is a psychological and physiological state characterized by cognitive, somatic, emotional, and behavioral components. These components combine to create an unpleasant feeling that is typically associated with uneasiness, fear, or worry. Anxiety is a generalized mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which occurs in the presence of an external threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats that are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable.

Now don't get me wrong anxiety in small doses can be quite good for us, keeps us out of trouble, lets us know of threats but when it comes in such high doses it starts to become a problem, affecting are everyday life

What are symptoms:

Physical:
heart palpitations, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. Physically, the body prepares the organism to deal with a threat. Blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, blood flow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the fight or flight response)

Mental:
Feeling of impending doom, wanting to jump out of your body, feeling of going crazy, Deja Vu, feeling tense of jumpy, hard time concentrating, watching and waiting for signs of something bad to happen, trapped in your own mind, and feeling like everything is scary.

There are many more physical and mental symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder those where just some

what can you do to fight anxiety:

well there is many different approaches to fighting anxiety. Everybody is different and reacts differently, this is what worked for me:

Sleep patterns has a major part of anxiety. Being tired makes it almost impossible to think straight which well feed into your anxiety just think of it as a v8 engine you need all 8 spark plugs for it to run perfectly you take two out (spark plugs=the number of hours of sleep you get) runs like ****. for your body to function properly you will need a full 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is the most important part of health well that and eating

I suggest if your sleeping patterns are out of wack you stay up all night and all day, try and make it to at least 9pm. This well reset your sleep pattern don't forget you will want to set your alarm for 7am. If you really want to conquer your anxiety disorder you will need to be getting up at 7am everyday except Saturday and Sunday and in bed by 1:30am except Saturday and Friday. you will start feeling better within a week

Another important thing to do with anxiety is excersize this can work miracles for anxiety if your anything like me, i let the anxiety control my life and never went anywhere, gained a lot of weight. i do urge this try and get out for a walk everyday even if it is just around the block, try doing push ups sit ups until you can't do anymore doing 10-100 of each a day can work miracles for your body if your not afraid to go to the gym join the gym and go every second day for an hour or two just try and get out for an hour each day doesn't matter where

A very important thing with anxiety is eating healthy the one thing i didn't do for a long time which affected me a great deal. try and get 3-4 servings of vegtables or fruit a day, fish 1-2 a week(does wonders for the brain) wheat 2-3 servings a day even if its cereal and toast in the morning) meat is also another great food for the body. Dairy is also very good thought don't go overboard on the eggs but 2-3 times a week is good

i am going to emphasize this alot NEVER SKIP OUT ON ONE MEAL that saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day is true, breakfast is your fuel for the day without it your going nowhere

YOU ALWAYS WANT 3 MEALS A DAY

With a good balance of sleep, excersize and food you will feel great

Some less important groups include:

Personal Hygiene: brushing your teeth(twice a day), shower(once a day or twice)cleaning your ears(three to four times a week), Flossing(everyday), shaving(for guys) do this and you will feel better about yourself and more confident

Cleanliness this one was really important for me, as i was finding every time the house got dirty my mood would go downwards, just keeping your house clean and your car can make you feel better and more proud that you own it this includes vacuuming, dusting, washing, and other stuff. and from my experience people respect you more if you take good care of your stuff

Here are some tips to help if you feel an anxiety attack coming on:
Shower, pleasure urself(it really works and research proves it), reading, watching t.v, talking with someone, going for a walk, a warm glass of milk

And my favorite one(this one actual works to)
BREATHING EXCERSIZE
Breath in for four seconds
Hold it for four seconds
Breath out for four seconds
Hold it for four seconds
Breath in for four seconds

And just keep repeating

if you are finding anxiety is controlling your life, it may be best if you talk to your doctor he can also give you tips on how to manage it and in some cases medication

Always remember anxiety is made up of fear, fear is made up of beleives, who made the believes? you did, when it all comes back you were the one who made the fear. that would make it not true. So stop worrying

thanks for reading

ndm

Last edited by ndm; 06-08-2009 at 12:03 AM.