Notices

Anxiety and Drinking

Old 05-24-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Anxiety and Drinking

So if I needed any further evidence that my anxiety and drinking are connected I just had it. Couldn't find an important document I need/want and started to feel the anxiety build up inside me. First thought 'have a drink to steady your nerves' but I've deliberately not got any in the house. Second thought 'pop to the shop down the road and get some' but I'm trying to be sober. Third thought 'go and lie down for a min and stop panicking and look for the document when you're calmer. Even if you can't find it it's not the end of the world.

This third thought is new to me, but I'm liking it already.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good Jase

When I was newly sober I learned that, more often than not, my first thought was not a very good one. Its all about learning new behaviors.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I get anxious, I go for a walk with my dog when possible. That always reduces my anxiety.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
When I get anxious, I go for a walk with my dog when possible. That always reduces my anxiety.
But I don't have a dog and I don't think my elderly cat would oblige . Seriously though I could go a walk on my own or do what I did earlier and use my exercise bike. Was hard work at the time but felt better for it after.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I can't take my dog, like if it's too hot for her, I just walk by myself and it always calms my spirit. An exercise bike would be good too. Any kind of exercise is good for the mind and body.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live in the UK I don't have to worry about it being too hot 😅.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Walking is my ‘goto’ coping mechanism for anxiety 🙁 Even if I don’t want to leave the house when anxiety strikes, I still walk around the house, sometimes for hours until the anxiety subsides or I’m exhausted….whichever comes first 🙁

Hang in there and glad you decided not to drink. I know how difficult it is to resist when knowing how the drink will calm you down. But also know it comes with a price 🙁 Stay strong
Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Walk, motorcycle, bicycle ride, hike, play guitar, cook a nice meal, read a book, go to a recovery meeting. The list of things I can do to help with anxiety is endless, and if one thing stops working or doesn't work at all I can replace it with another activity.