Notices

Getting off benzodiazepines for PD

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Getting off benzodiazepines for PD

I am on day eight after tapering valium for GAD and PD. Would you say having being off only eight days that I am over the worse of the withdrawals or is the worse yet to come? I still take 10 mgs of lexapro and it seems to be blocking my panic ok.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've withdrawn twice from benzos so that makes me NO expert, but the worst days for me were 3 and 4, so according to my experience, you are through the worst of it! From now on, things should get better and better.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I personally do not have experience with withdrawls from anti anxiety agents but do hope that you are past the worst of things. The lexpro may be helping with the anxiety as many anti depressants also can have an anti anxiety effect as well.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

One of the treatment centers where I've stayed says the withdrawal protocol for benzos is 21 days.

By, "withdrawal protocol" I mean that's how long they medicate patients who are coming off benzos.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what was your guys method of coming off the benzos, how long were you on them, what kind were you on, what was the dosage and were you on a steady daily dose? thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on klonopin right now and I've decided to start taking a lot less than I'm prescribed (1/3) as much because I don't want to have to deal with this precise issue in six months.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Hi all,

please please PLEASE listen to me...I was on benzos for years. I started when I was 15 and stopped when i was 25.

getting off them is NO JOKE. the withdrawal is real and it is not in your head.

you have to do it slowly, as slowly as you can. even if it seems ridiculous, get out a razor blade and only cut teeny tiny bits off every few days.

i was on klonopin and ativan. i got up to 10 mgs right before I quit. I did not taper off them slowly enough, and it was the dumbest mistake i ever made.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I learned from it. The benzos do not help. they just cover up the issues. that is what i have realized about alcohol too. The benzos will work for a while, and then you will have to take more and more to get the same effect.

but believe me, if i can get off those pills anyone can. there is an awesome forum like this for benzo withdrawal, i will find it and repost. without that website i would not have made it.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would not want to withdraw from Xanax, no way.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sicilia1414 View Post
Hi all,

please please PLEASE listen to me...I was on benzos for years. I started when I was 15 and stopped when i was 25.

you have to do it slowly, as slowly as you can. even if it seems ridiculous, get out a razor blade and only cut teeny tiny bits off every few days.

i was on klonopin and ativan. i got up to 10 mgs right before I quit. I did not taper off them slowly enough, and it was the dumbest mistake i ever made.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I learned from it. The benzos do not help. they just cover up the issues. that is what i have realized about alcohol too. The benzos will work for a while, and then you will have to take more and more to get the same effect.

but believe me, if i can get off those pills anyone can. there is an awesome forum like this for benzo withdrawal, i will find it and repost. without that website i would not have made it.

i am 8 months sober after abusing xanax amongst other drugs for over a year.

i was up to 20+mg a day of xanax, and upon arrest, had over 50mg in my system.

needless to say, i had no choice but to go cold turkey, and the first five days in jail were as horifying as anything you can imagine.

i was hallucinating for days at a time, constantly loosing conciousness, loosing massive amounts of weight as well as runnnig a huge fever and possibly having seizures, which has never been confirmed since i received no medical attention until day 6 when i got out on bail.

withdrawing from benzodiazepines is the most dangerous thing you can put your body through. by no means should you ever attempt this on your own, because you can put your body at risk of a heart attack, massive seizures as well as brain damage and much more...

seek the help of doctors and a detox facility. no matter how much or how little your on, the dangers of benzo withdrawal are always there, and are no joke.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

wow retro thats ruff,

i cant believe they didn't put you in at least psychiatric care. I had the same thing happen to me only i payed 12 g for my visit to hell. Check this out....it was a private rehab center! I broke out of there like a raving lunatic and wondered around a strange city hiding from the CIA (lol i know)

Anyway i made it home and they put me in the psyche ward right away......and put me back on benzo's for a proper with drawl which lasted over a month. I had PTS from the whole incident and had to go on an anti psycotic for a year to recover from that little episode of improper benzo with drawl insanity.

I lost my 12g and i slipped back into addiction and was never able to pursue the "professional" for the serious trauma he caused me. I would love to say who it is....but all i will say is it is in Westbank B.C.

I really wish i had been educated on this garbage known as Benzo's and for any poor client that attends that facility i hope he knows too.

be glad you are doing your homework OP

Last edited by StayinAlive; 12-04-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: decided not to call treatment guy a bad name
Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yea thas rough indeed. and the CIA part - i totally know what you mean. upon release from jail, i was completely psychotic and the only thing that was stopping me being more than verbally hostile was the fact that i was nearly incapable of any body movement. i had been hallucinating so many things that were just out right insane. i thought i had esceaped from jail 3 times, and when i told this to the bondsman he told me i wasnt gonna be released til i explained how i got out and who helped me, which i did, and because it was so rediculous they paid no attention to it.

im still on anti psychotics, well, i was until last week. my shrink took me off of them slowly, and now i cant sleep so he told me to start taking melatonin, which gets me to sleep fine, but the whole day im restless, anxious and have continuing racing thoughts. today it became unbareable so i took my anti psychotic tonight and i feel 100% better. i was only on a maintenance dose of 2.5mg down from 10mg, but that little bit seems to really be keeping me strait. im on medication for ADHD anxiety depression and OCD, but i guess that anti psychotics are just as important. im calling my shrink tomorrow to tell him, cause i cant get through a day feeling like i was. i was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder, and i beleive that i eventually will develope full on schizophrenia, and shoudl remain on anti psychotics for the duration of my life. it truly makes me feel better inside my mind, and i think it would be stupid to cease taking something that helps.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

benzos are the hardest to kick

benzos are herendous coming off? but you'll be fine If you can Hang!! I went out after 10 years sober back in november of last year I got back and was taking lots of opiates but the 15 to 25 mg of xanax are what almost killed me!!! its a year or so later and I take cymbalta 1x day and i have never looked back! It gets better! Just keep taking your lexepro?? I have extreme panic but not over the last year???? YOU Can do it ? Just dont take a frekin piece of any tranq or benzo and you'll start to sleep after about 3 months REMEMBER THE ALTERNATIVE IS BLEAK!!!!! GOOD LUCK JIMMYJAM

PS WORKING OUT REALLY HELPS THE BRAIN TO BLOCK
THE FEAR THE PRECIPITATES ALL ANXIETY!!!!:praying
Originally Posted by ForeverTense View Post
I am on day eight after tapering valium for GAD and PD. Would you say having being off only eight days that I am over the worse of the withdrawals or is the worse yet to come? I still take 10 mgs of lexapro and it seems to be blocking my panic ok.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great feedback!!!

IThink your Feedback Is right on target!!! I just got back November of last year after relapsing 10 Years sober and was taking 20-30 Mgs. a day of xanax & and or Valium aDay for a year!!! I am Doing great now although I suffer from from various forms Of anxiety? What I havew learned thru a good Sponsor & Good people around me was that Anxiety Is fear based and Everyone Thats Using or drinking Has some form Of Anxiousness But If You can Hang Like we have (At least 6 Months I Think) And get the brain reversed In How It Produces Dpamine again? I think we can lead somewhat Normal Lives (Not Dependent ) On any Meds Whatsoever??? The Answer Is a Spiritual ONE and that Is for Sure???? Looking At Your Pic you Look Exactly Like my cousin that Passed away from this Insideous Disease!!! It's a Little scary how much you resemble her??? God Bless and sharing your valued Experience JIMMY JAM
Hi all,

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Klonopin withdrawal

Hi folks,

I'm on day day 4 of a klonopin withdrawal (no klonopin for 4 days so far). I tapered down from .75mg over 5-6 weeks. I've felt like hell but will this thing feel better soon. I haven't felt good since the taper began (so being on the medication was not helping once the dose was reduced). I'm wondering how long till the worst is over...anxiety, sleeplessness, muscle pains, jiggy active feeling.

Ralph.

Originally Posted by Marine1492 View Post
I've withdrawn twice from benzos so that makes me NO expert, but the worst days for me were 3 and 4, so according to my experience, you are through the worst of it! From now on, things should get better and better.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Hello sicilia1414, Id like to hear more about your wd from klonopin. When you got off them, did you have bad symptoms after getting off them? Please tell us more about it. Im tapering off now. Thanks, Michael
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

Michael,
Your best bet is to talk to your doctor.
None of us are doctors here and cannot give medical advice.
Each person can have different effects as a result of the effects of the drug and withdrawal from it. Medical supervision is necessary.
This is *nothing* to fool around with.
It's your life!

Shalom!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I guess this is a good place to ask my question. I have been on xanax now since June of 2008. The lowest dose of .025. I take it twice per day and on occasion 1/2 at bedtime. I wish to be done with it. My doc want's to put me on lexapro..starting at 5mg.. for a week and then uping it to the full 10. But he's not telling me how to taper off the xananx? I'm afraid to take the two together even though he said it was ok. So I have been stubborn and not started the lexapro. Will I have bad withdrawl from such a low does of 8 months? How do you tapper off this stuff in a safe way??
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Life!

Again, blondegurl,
We are not doctors and cannot answer medical questions.

And PLEASE, do not ever take medical advice from total strangers on the internet.
Even *if* they say they are a doctor or nurse or whatever.
They don't know you, or your medical condition. Or what other meds you are on, and so many other things that need to be taken into consideration for safty sake.

I do know that your doc is right; it's safe to take the two together. And that the .025 is a very low dose. That's what I take when I need it. And I never have any problem when I don't take it. I've had the prescription for years, and take it only as needed.

But, I'm curious as to why you would trust strangers on the net, and not your doctor?
Doesn't make much sense, now, does it?

Shalom!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Xanax insomnia

The insomnia from my xanax withdrawl is awful. Its been 3 weeks and I wanted to know if I could take tylonel pm to get some sleep or will this interfere with the recovery process. I have to work with children and I need sleep or I will not be able to make it.
I feel like my brain does not know how to sleep anymore. HELP!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

From my experience... tomorrow will be better then today and today is better then yesterday.