Notices

James Frey Breaks the Rules

Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Dan

Dunno.
51anna, an alcoholic among us, member here at SoberRecovery before a lot of us, rarely starts a thread on this board. In fact, she spends most of her time offering support to that most common of beasts, the clueless newb. I was one of 'em.
She ask us for comments on two clear statements by Frey.
Now we're argueing rehab completion rates.
Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Yeah, I sound like an over bearing aunt, trying to censor the nephews and nieces don't I...
I'm putting myself in the corner for a time out.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Dan, you are right and I apologise for derailing the thread.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Dan

How easily I get caught up too, Minnie.
I'm a pro at that.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Extremity

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, I sound like an over bearing aunt, trying to censor the nephews and nieces don't I...
I now have an image of a very large bearded man in a bun wig wearing a red and white doilley dress shaking a ladle!

EWW!
Make it stop! Make it stop!
For God's sake make it stop!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah, respect for the old girl's white whiskers please.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really appreciate everybody's comments and ideas and I don't think the thread was derailed.

You're right Dan, I don't often start a thread, but this young man's approach to getting sober intrigued me a lot. When I started the book, I expected James to take the AA route as he was going through rehab and afterwards. I was quite surprised when he refused. But, then he is clearly the kind of person who can't be told what to do.

One of the other rules he broke was falling in love with Lilly, a young woman in the same rehab. He was told on day 1 that there was no communication with the opposite sex, but of course, that didn't stop him. He continued his relationship with Lilly who was clearly a lost and vulnerable soul. I know it is common-sense that it is dangerous for two vulnerable, struggling addicts to fall in love in rehab and plan to continue their relationship. But, again, he did it.

I'm pretty much a person who follows rules. I'm not a rebel, but I have so much awe and admiration for this young man I will be thinking of him for a long time to come. He is with me right now, as you can see.

Anyways, thanks for everybody's comments!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Extremity

Well, after reading numerous reviews on a few sites about this book, I have to say I wouldn't waste my time.

The general concenus is that it is "400 pages of raged filled fantasy, egotistical and poorly written."
Most found it tedious and unbelievable.
A couple good reviews but most were laughing at its ridiculousness.

This, along with what I see as obvious contradictions in his logic leads me to believe that reading about his predominate problem with very little solution would not even prove to be good as a cathardic venture.

I should like to suggest finding books that center more on the solution and less on a "Look at me, I won't listen to anyone" problem personality.

Just my opinion, but I won't waste the money or time on it.

Thanks for inspiring me to check it out 51Anna.

Be Well
Old 10-29-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Dan

How's that ol' saying go...
One man's catharsis is another man's psoriasis.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

I should like to suggest finding books that center more on the solution and less on a "Look at me, I won't listen to anyone" problem personality.

Love that Mogqua!

I cannot read the book. I gave half an effort and then decided that if I wanted to relive a nightmare I could dig around in my own personal stash.....which really doesn't appeal to me.

I have heard that the book offers a poignant, realistic look into the mind of an addict, which in itself is useful....artistically and socially.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So many opinions with so little knowledge....

wow

--P
Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Respectfully Phinny,

I would say there is a lot of knowledge in this thread. Especially the kind that comes from experience with addiction. Pragmatic knowledge is the best kind.....in my opinion...lol.

If I ever write a book and it is exposed to the world, I would expect to be privy to many different opinions about the content...and even about my person.....it is nothing personal....just opinions....and you know what they say about those!

Everyone has a right to one...knowledge or not.

I've also heard they are like *ssholes.....everybuddy has one....lol.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Given these negative reviews filled with such dismissive characterizations, I now feel compelled to read it.
An online source:
https://ebooks.palm.com/product/deta..._Little_Pieces
Old 10-29-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I have so much awe and admiration for this young man I will be thinking of him for a long time to come.
ME TOO Anna!!!

And I am a 12 step thumper . He is sober, he is happy, he is living his life as a productive member of society. He finds he spirituality, serenity, whatever you want to call it in a different way than I do..that is fine with me.

To me the most important thing is that he is sober, he is not hurting himself or the people that love him anymore.

I have not finished the book yet and even though I know what happens I still want to read it. In it, even though it is written very descriptive, I feel hope, hope for the addict who still suffers.

My H is hardcore 12 step and while he has not been as harsh on this guy in our discussions as some here have been he to feels that his sobriety won't last without a belief in God. That is my H's opinion and he is entitlted to it just as James in entitled to find sobriety/happiness/freedom/peace/love any way he chooses to.

I say YOU GO JAMES!!!! and thank you for sharing your story/sobriety with me!!! We basically are all on the same journey, the paths may be differnt but the journey is the same. And Blessings to everyone on this journey!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulie
My H is hardcore 12 step and while he has not been as harsh on this guy in our discussions as some here have been he to feels that his sobriety won't last without a belief in God. ...
Your husband believes that his own sobriety won't last without a belief in God? or your husband believes that James' sobriety won't?
Don
Old 10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

My husband believes his OWN sobriety wont' last without a belief/faith in God and he thinks James has just been 'lucky' so far (so yes he also believes that James' won't either).

I love him but I dont have to agree with him .
Old 10-29-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna
I was fascinated to see James Frey on Oprah this week, after just finishing (with great difficulty) 'A Million Little Pieces'.

James used drugs (any and all) and alcohol very heavily from age 10 to 23. He was lucky to be alive when he entered rehab and lucky to live through rehab.

The fascinating thing is that he broke all the rules and has been sober for 13 years. He steadfastly refused to deal with AA at all, ever and has NO belief in a higher power of any kind. When he left rehab, he went directly to a bar, ordered a large drink and stared at it, but didn't drink it.

He has gotten through this by:

1) letting go of his fear - he says what he did to himself is far worse than anything anyone could do to him.

2) by 'holding on' - when things are bad, they won't stay that way and you will feel better

I'd love to hear people's comments on this!

Broke all of who's rules ? AA ?

I am happy for whatever success anyone achieves over alcohol but without breaking anybody's bubble; "Letting go of fear" is a principle long taught in 12 Step philosophy.

"This too shall change" is another one of AA's slogan.

If going to a bar and staring at a glass of rum is an interpretation of success then it only proves that the methodology of alcoholism recovery is expanding even faster than I imagined.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

"Letting go of fear" is a principle long taught in 12 Step philosophy.

"This too shall change" is another one of AA's slogan.
And, I believe, long pre-date the foundation of AA.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
And, I believe, long pre-date the foundation of AA.

Absolutely.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

The wonder of AA is that it was able to condense the concept of "letting go of fear" and "surrender to what is" into a very simple program that could be applied by just about anyone....including the barely coherent, newly sober alkie.

The 12 steps summed these concepts up beautifully and made them widely available to alcoholics EVERYWHERE.....not just ones who might happen to catch Oprah.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FaeryQueen
.......not just ones who might happen to catch Oprah.
"Current Membership
It is estimated that there are more than 100,000 groups and over 2,000,000 members in 150 countries."
http://www.aa.org/

The show has won 38 Emmy awards, is seen in 107 countries, and has been a top-rated talk show in the US for the past 18 years. Weekly viewing is estimated at 22,000,000 (2000 figures).

I'd say Oprah can have more direct impact on substance abuse than AA, for better or worse!
Don S