Notices

Honestly, I dont want to quit

Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
grkda,
To tell you the truth, I don't give a damn whether you stop drinking or not. Since you've been posting here, all you've done is pick apart responses to your posts. If you don't want to quit, don't. No skin off my butt. If you want to quit, quit! In the meantime, at least have the decency to move away from your family so they don't go down any further while you're trying to make up your mind.....which at this rate, could take months if not years. But hey, you just keep right on truckin' there my friend. No skin off my butt. You have a great day while you're trying to figure out that "self-evident truth".

Hi music

Im tryin really hard to give a damn what you think but, its just not working out for either of us. I did not ask whether my quitting would in any way effect you, so Im not sure why you made it a point to share your thoughts on how it would effect you. And Im fairly sure I didnt ask your approval, did I?

Yes I have picked apart replies. That is my nature to make sure that what is communicated is accurate. Im not always as clear as I hope to be, and I try to extend the benefit of that to others also. Nonetheless, because I have made myself vulnerable in admitting a problem, I dont think that gives you, or anyone else a right to disparage me, or my sincerity, or my effort. I cant understand why you think that it does.

As much as some might appreciate your sanctimonious rantings, I dont. I didnt come here for a ration of belittling, or for someone to "pull rank" on me, so to speak. You're sober, Im not...happy? Clearly you now find yourself in a position to talk down to others, and are rejoicing in that self appointed grandeur, but Im not sure why you would want to do that, or why anyone would want to listen to you while you do it. I certainly dont.

My "family" is involved in my sobriety as much as they have been involved in my drinking. We have all made up our minds, but thank you again for your "help" and input on that aspect.

That "self evident truth" you mentioned is cleary as murky an issue to you as it is to me. But Id still like an explanation from you, in your own words, just so we are clear on things.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingSober
We ( boss and co-worker ) just climbed 2 hours up the boulder flatiron so the Royal Arch. I went jogged up for a while but my heart monitor said 190 bpm, so I walked then I was so far ahead I wound up on the wrong flatiron, got on the right one then went down like the downhill skier I am and waited at bottom in sun for them. wheh.

Next week friends fly in from chicago my ski steamboat.

btw, I have broken L5 and boss had fused vertabrae but we are active so the spine tolerated it well.

Rollerblade ? Jog ? Mountain bike ?

even putzing around is good - get moving !

Wow! I dont know what a flatiron is, but from the looks of the picture it sounds....uh, challenging . Good work.

Steamboat...skiing? Is that what you meant? That would be just about right, if I could ski. I went skiing a few times when I was younger. I had some fun, despite wearing blue jeans and rented ski's. My buddies jumped off the lift about 20ft in the air...I stayed on and fell on my butt just getting off Had a blast though.

Getting there.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grkda
"even convincing them they are getting their moneys' worth"

That just about sums it up.

My plans for getting active: I used to run, dont think I can do it now though. Im ashamed to say I once weighed 140 and ran...quite a ways. I run out of breath just making the bed now . I have arthritis in my lower back so thats the biggest issue. I dont know whether the running caused it or just made it worse but the last time I ran (5 years ago when I was sober for 6 months) I felt like every step was pinching a nerve. A better pair of running shoes nothwithstanding, I think Ill find something less shocking.

I smoke so whatever I do I will have to start out slow. My breath just isnt what it used to be. You might find this odd but fishing actually takes a bit of work. Its something I love and wading the river, waste high or thereabouts, takes no small amount of energy. Ive missed alot of fish the past few years too.

My oldest boy likes to play basketball, wrestle, and ride his bike. I think Ill try to get involved in those things too. Never been a big fan of biking but maybe Ill get into it after a while.

So my plans are: I guess Im not really sure. Hopefully a bit of everything time permitting. Im really starting from scratch physically though. I cant believe how bad of shape Im in these days, and Im only 35.

hanks for the thoughts.
yes i was talkiing about skiing Steamboat but typed horribly.

Any gut at all is going to make you back arch more and pull things out of alignment and cause more pain. Also its a nerve 'toxin'. last time I drank I had pain shooting down my leg from my broken L5.

no pain since quitting.

I even do no-motion position holds form the chicago chung-moo-quan school of martial arts, you really get your heart going but its hard to do it for very long.

Try running shoes and a crushed gravel path and walk fast, stretch a lot and take shorter strides if its painful.

When your ready to run, run uphill, puts no stress on the body.

Come down the hill gently.

just be sure to do something for 30 mins every day. no food passed 7 and early to bed = no problem. How about getttin fit feeling great this summer just like when you were young ?

Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

yes i was talkiing about skiing Steamboat but typed horribly.

Any gut at all is going to make you back arch more and pull things out of alignment and cause more pain. Also its a nerve 'toxin'. last time I drank I had pain shooting down my leg from my broken L5.

no pain since quitting.

I even do no-motion position holds form the chicago chung-moo-quan school of martial arts, you really get your heart going but its hard to do it for very long.

Try running shoes and a crushed gravel path and walk fast, stretch a lot and take shorter strides if its painful.

When your ready to run, run uphill, puts no stress on the body.

Come down the hill gently.

just be sure to do something for 30 mins every day. no food passed 7 and early to bed = no problem. How about getttin fit feeling great this summer just like when you were young ?

Outstanding advice. Come to think of it, running up hill was a bit less painful than sloppily stomping down hill. The No food passed 7 thing I might have trouble with though. Maybe that will change once my eating schedule is straightened out. I do need to lose the gut and Im sure eating at 9 doesnt help.

I dont know about feeling great like I was young, but feeling OK like I did when I was 20 sounds good enough right now.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Chy

I found exercise to be a huge help during the recovery process, start out slow and if at all possible see a doctor first. It helps in getting a baseline for your health so when you do quit, you can see the amazing progress your body will make.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
I found exercise to be a huge help during the recovery process, start out slow and if at all possible see a doctor first. It helps in getting a baseline for your health so when you do quit, you can see the amazing progress your body will make.
Yep, I actually wear a heart monitor around my torso with wrist-readout because I did not know how hard to push it. I failed a cardio-stress test last summer, was told to run 5 days a week. In reality its the booze jacking up my blood pressure and cholesterol.

I try not to exceed 220-age during workouts, for me thats 179 BMP ( beats per minute ) so after an uphill sprint today at 190 I backed off.

Dont want to die trying
Old 02-04-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

grkda,
Call it the way you see it my friend. That's what I do. If you think I'm talking down to you, you put yourself there, not me. Like I said. If you want to quit, quit. If you don't want to quit, don't. Also like I said. When you run out of excuses to drink, the denial will be gone. Not until.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

grkda:
You are or you aren't, you will or you won't, you can or you can't. I can't make those choices, and my life isn't affected by them in any way. you either make excuses or tell the truth. Until these decisions are made by you you won't move forward with recovery, if that's what you want.

Those onesy twosy beers here and there pthh -- keep those. when I was drinking I wanted lots more than that -- or none. Now it's none.

Ah, keep coming back in here -- get yourself into a program like AA and work. That's what it's all about.

ken
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Chy

In reality its the booze jacking up my blood pressure and cholesterol.
....yup for me it was dangerously so true! I'm glad I can say I have perfect numbers now, no more meds, no more lies to the doc.. just good and healthy!
Old 02-05-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
new life

Originally Posted by Chy
....yup for me it was dangerously so true! I'm glad I can say I have perfect numbers now, no more meds, no more lies to the doc.. just good and healthy!
Yes Chy thats a great report, the writing was on the wall for me, as my B-pressure soared: booze and good health never did go hand and hand, I tried to do both for many years and failed miserably.