Notices

New Laws in UK

Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

New Laws in UK

The UK is about to introduce legislation allowing 24-hour drinking from later this year.

This has started a debate, as one would expect.

Click here

For me, when I was drinking, I always had what I wanted, day or night, as my scheming and planning made sure of that, but what about non alcoholics .?? Will this help push them over the invisible line, or will it reduce the "binge drinking" culture we have over here in the UK.??

Perhaps our Scottish cousins could throw some light on this for us, as I know hours changed up there some while ago.??

JC
Old 02-05-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JC,
People who need or want to drink 24/7 are already doing that. Where there's a will, there's a way. Non-drunks are still going to be what they are. I don't believe the availability of alcohol makes anyone an alcoholic. In a nutshell, I don't think legislation will ever change much. Look what happened here in the states back during prohibition.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi JC,
I remember when on a Sunday you could only buy booze between 12.00 and 2.00pm, so I always made sure I had enough to cover. But it does worry me that we are gradually accepting that drinking to excess, rather than social drinking, is acceptable. ( says probably the biggest **** artist in the world). If you look at Sweden or Iceland where booze is retricted and really expensive , they have huge problems with alcoholism, as they brew their own,and get wrecked before they go out and then just top up.

I hate the fact that booze which is so addictive is so socially acceptable, the fact that successive governments make so much money from it in tax and then disregard the social implications seems lost on most.

I dont think that relaxing the law in itself will increase the level of alcoholism as many european countries already have more relaxed laws and dont suffer. I do think we in the UK have a major problem in our attitude to booze ( ie football, Ibiza, lager louts etc)which this change will not help.

Its legal so we do it , if it was illegal we still would.

Pete