Notices

Oh Well Part 3

Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Well Part 3

last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-2-a-21.html (Oh Well Part 2)

D
Old 10-29-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks Dee!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

shotgun
Old 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Aristotelian ethics, nice coffee clutch you got here
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oooo shiny new thread!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Aristotelian ethics, nice coffee clutch you got here
Coffee clutch. I dun even know what that means.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Coffee clutch. I dun even know what that means.
not sure, but i assume it derives from the german "Kaffee Klatsch", Klatsch meaning yakking. basically hanging out, having coffee and maybe cake, and chatting about whatever, serious or not.
whenever i see " coffee clutch", i think the "clutch" is a phonetic spelling of what is heard.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

fini , yep where I was going. Crones and their brew

I also liked the idea that the Aristotle bit might have had something to say in answer(?) to loci local.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

What do you imagine he might've had to say, broster?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ah, guess we’re mocking me and my coffee clutch comment from, hmmm, about a month ago?

okay, well, since clearly you’re not over it, I will say that I still feel the same way. And, the original poster I made my comments to about the coffee clutch- Tatsy - seemed to be much more influenced by my actual guidance advising her back to AVRT than by chats about faux coffee. And, she’s sober now. Her exact words to me were about how thank god I entered the convo and said what I said. I guess I should’ve worried about your feelings and not her sobriety? Well, I’m glad I told her what I thought of all the enabling of her AV. I know she’s glad too.

different strokes for different folks. I came on here to make sure I maintained my sobriety. Since I don’t go to AA, it’s good for me to read about people in the early throes of sobriety here. I’ve helped a lot of people, according to them. I’m sure I’ve also had no effect on lots of people. Maybe pissed some off.

but, my heart has always been in the right place. And, there were many posters who agreed about the obnoxious coffee clutch and pm’d me their support. They just remained silent on a thread which was so biased and one sided and hokey it became basically a clique where other people didn’t feel comfortable sharing their thoughts.

On this thread here, I expected more from Fini and dwtbd. But, mock away. I’ll just stay sober. And not spend my time mocking people for no good reason online. How sad.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just as a regular but casual bystander in these parts, I don't think anyone intended to mock, sohard.

Its a good lesson for everyone tho - sometimes what is meant in jocular fashion is not taken that way by everyone.

Look, some threads I love, others I don't so much.
I tend not to go to or post in those latter threads.

Probably best for everyone if we draw a line here and move on.

edited to add: if you can't do that, at least try and stay within the rules so I don't need to be any further involved

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 10-30-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i am at a total loss here, Sohard, as to what you are referring to.
genuinely am not mocking a thing and was just responding to the question what a coffee clutch is. i happen to have lived my early life in Germany, so am familiar with Kaffee Klatsch.
that’s it.
i have no memory of whatever your coffee clutch comment from a month ago may have been.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Wow, sohard. I took dwtbd' s coffee clutch remark as a light-hearted reference to yet another poster's commentary on how folks here may have been enabling me while I was in dire straits. (They were not.) I believe we all got over it relatively quickly by talking it out.

I'm a big fan of talking it out. I see fini has already responded. Maybe you could ask dwtbd directly what his intentions were? Maybe best done by PM as our friend Dee has put in plenty of referee hours already over these past couple of months. (Thanks, Dee - you rock. )
Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Tatsy, I did more reading about LOC today, and it's interesting. Every discussion I read spoke about this as you did. About where one's own motivation comes from, not one's belief about how the world works. So that leads me to think that perhaps the guy who developed the theory was onto something, but his assessment was accidentally biased by HIS worldview.

Anyhow, I'll think about it some more and expound on my theories when I have a keyboard at hand. I knew I should've brought my laptop home tonight!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Im flummoxed re coffee .
Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

O, I share Tatsy’s view /use of the LOC and was making comments in that vein.

That ole Greek sounds like he’d place the motive power in an internal locus.

An external locus makes me wonder about maximal proximity , how close/far is the line of division and if there were one what would It delineate?

If my motivation isn’t internal , how could it be mine or why would “I” want it?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yes, but what would Aristotle say?
oh, never mind - I see you just replied
Old 10-31-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am also in the dark. I was just funnin. But sohard I am very sorry and meant no offense to you at all. And certainly there was none taken by me.

Please accept my apology.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Ah, guess we’re mocking me and my coffee clutch comment from, hmmm, about a month ago?

okay, well, since clearly you’re not over it, I will say that I still feel the same way. And, the original poster I made my comments to about the coffee clutch- Tatsy - seemed to be much more influenced by my actual guidance advising her back to AVRT than by chats about faux coffee. And, she’s sober now. Her exact words to me were about how thank god I entered the convo and said what I said. I guess I should’ve worried about your feelings and not her sobriety? Well, I’m glad I told her what I thought of all the enabling of her AV. I know she’s glad too.

different strokes for different folks. I came on here to make sure I maintained my sobriety. Since I don’t go to AA, it’s good for me to read about people in the early throes of sobriety here. I’ve helped a lot of people, according to them. I’m sure I’ve also had no effect on lots of people. Maybe pissed some off.

but, my heart has always been in the right place. And, there were many posters who agreed about the obnoxious coffee clutch and pm’d me their support. They just remained silent on a thread which was so biased and one sided and hokey it became basically a clique where other people didn’t feel comfortable sharing their thoughts.

On this thread here, I expected more from Fini and dwtbd. But, mock away. I’ll just stay sober. And not spend my time mocking people for no good reason online. How sad.

🙄

Good lord, this forum is way too dramatic lately.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, if one drank as much as I did daily, it’s a life or death issue. So I guess combatting that would involve drama? I’m ever grateful to Sohard for stepping in as she did, on my thread in Secular.

The first time in my life when I read/heard the phrase “coffee clutch” was in my thread in Secular (when I had to look it up). The second time I read it was in this, O’s, thread.

I understand why Sohard posted here, because I too believed it was a pointed comment, due to that odd coincidence? I now know differently, after reading the replies above. I thought we’d put it behind us.