My 2nd DUI - Page 3 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read





Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I think that your emotions, fears and anxiety for this situation is normal and deserves to be honored. Sometimes the wind is taken right out of our sails and it takes us a bit to get grounded again.

Your fears are valid. Your concerns are valid. It is okay to process as much or as little as you need. That is what this site is for, in all honesty.

I do know what it is like to have life come crashing down. I also know that from an outsiders perspective looking in to your life everything will be okay in time. Only in time.

Sometimes we have to go places that we don't want to go. Sometimes we have to fall a part in order to come back together again. Sometimes life hands us piles of **** and asks us to keep our heads up and we just dont know how that is possible. It is possible. You will be okay. You will be more than okay. You are doing the work and you are walking forward one step at a time.

Trust the process.



Thank you... I am trying my best to stick with this process. I like that saying "Sometimes the wind is taken right out of our sails and it takes us a bit to get grounded again." Because that is what I am feeling has happened to me... just waiting to feel grounded again.....
I hope I will be Ok, I want to remember how I am feeling right now for the rest of my life and never forget so when time comes to have a drink I will make a smarter choice
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistakes2 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-01-2018), shortstop81 (02-02-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Ken0331's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: York County, PA
Posts: 302
Well, for me the pain of my last drunk and the consequences of it weren't enough to use as something to keep me from drinking. The pain lessens over time, and I couldn't remember it vividly enough to curb the addiction.

And that's a good thing. When I remember the times I've had terrible physical pain, it's a good thing I can't re-experience it, re-feel it at that level. The body is designed to forget such trauma.

What did work for me was a desire - born of desperation - to live differently. And it didn't take long until the positive reinforcements I get from sobriety became more appealing to me than getting drunk. Once that happened, I no longer needed to use negative reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is always better. Ever train a dog?

At first it was, "I have to get sober."
Now it's, "I want to be sober, b/c this way of living is so much damn better."
__________________
My life is not complete without a dog in it.
Ken0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken0331 For This Useful Post:
Byenia (02-02-2018), Change4good (02-02-2018), Dee74 (02-01-2018), ForestFrenzy (02-01-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
Well, for me the pain of my last drunk and the consequences of it weren't enough to use as something to keep me from drinking. The pain lessens over time, and I couldn't remember it vividly enough to curb the addiction.

And that's a good thing. When I remember the times I've had terrible physical pain, it's a good thing I can't re-experience it, re-feel it at that level. The body is designed to forget such trauma.

What did work for me was a desire - born of desperation - to live differently. And it didn't take long until the positive reinforcements I get from sobriety became more appealing to me than getting drunk. Once that happened, I no longer needed to use negative reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is always better. Ever train a dog?

At first it was, "I have to get sober."
Now it's, "I want to be sober, b/c this way of living is so much damn better."


That is awesome. I can't wait till I feel like I don't need liqour to have fun. I honestly do not remember what that feels like. If I knew i had an event or was going out to hang I made sure I had a bottle to predrink and have for when I came home. I will no longer do that.

Positive reinforcement is always better. I need to keep that in mind and try to stop being negative....
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mistakes2 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-01-2018), Hevyn (01-31-2018), Rar (01-31-2018), shortstop81 (02-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #44 (permalink)
In a Place Called Earth
 
Mizzuno's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,777
Blog Entries: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakes2 View Post
Thank you... I am trying my best to stick with this process. I like that saying "Sometimes the wind is taken right out of our sails and it takes us a bit to get grounded again." Because that is what I am feeling has happened to me... just waiting to feel grounded again.....
I hope I will be Ok, I want to remember how I am feeling right now for the rest of my life and never forget so when time comes to have a drink I will make a smarter choice
Yes. All of this makes sense. You will be okay. Its true. You will be okay. There is a chance for you to turn all of this around and make your life all that you have dreamed of.

Time does have a way of making us forget or move on from the initial feelings as to why we got sober. Its important to have a group to participate in for this very reason.

Lean on your support groups until you can start walking on your own.

Make those changes and dont look back. I know you can do this. Maybe this last DUI is what was needed to really make the change necessary for you to grow in to who you are meant to be.

We are here for you.
__________________
Your Magnificence Knows No Boundaries
Mizzuno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mizzuno For This Useful Post:
Change4good (02-02-2018), Dee74 (02-01-2018), Ken0331 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Ken0331's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: York County, PA
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakes2 View Post
I can't wait till I feel like I don't need liqour to have fun.
Well I didn't drink to "have fun". I drank to escape a great deal of things I didn't want to face or accept.

And enjoying sobriety didn't just happen to me one day b/c I wished for it, prayed for it, filled my life up with distractions to keep me occupied, or have Tinkerbelle sprinkle fairy dust on me.

It was a result of a lot of effort and some tough, getting-honest with-myself-and-others work.


What are your plans to get it? Because I can tell you that just "waiting" for it to happen won't bring it about.
__________________
My life is not complete without a dog in it.
Ken0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken0331 For This Useful Post:
Byenia (02-02-2018), Dee74 (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
Well I didn't drink to "have fun". I drank to escape a great deal of things I didn't want to face or accept.

And enjoying sobriety didn't just happen to me one day b/c I wished for it, prayed for it, filled my life up with distractions to keep me occupied, or have Tinkerbelle sprinkle fairy dust on me.

It was a result of a lot of effort and some tough, getting-honest with-myself-and-others work.


What are your plans to get it? Because I can tell you that just "waiting" for it to happen won't bring it about.


Definitely not just sitting around waiting for it. I have been changing things I do everyday and the people I talk too. I will start to go to AA meetings regularly... even counseling.

I started to drink because it was fun, then it became because I had to cope with day to day struggles. I meant to say I cant wait for the day I dont feel the urge to grab a bottle to cope, its a long road ahead
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mistakes2 For This Useful Post:
Byenia (02-02-2018), Dee74 (02-01-2018), shortstop81 (02-02-2018), tomsteve (02-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Yes. All of this makes sense. You will be okay. Its true. You will be okay. There is a chance for you to turn all of this around and make your life all that you have dreamed of.

Time does have a way of making us forget or move on from the initial feelings as to why we got sober. Its important to have a group to participate in for this very reason.

Lean on your support groups until you can start walking on your own.

Make those changes and dont look back. I know you can do this. Maybe this last DUI is what was needed to really make the change necessary for you to grow in to who you are meant to be.

We are here for you.


Thank you, I think that is what needed to happen to me to get an eye opener... I was living a dangerous game... I could finish 750ml liqour to myself in a night and wake up wanting more. ...feel very ashamed.

I will continue to reach out to my support group, to this site and people I have met at the meetings.
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mistakes2 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-01-2018), Hevyn (01-31-2018), Rar (01-31-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.
 
ForestFrenzy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 134
You are already showing a lot of courage in facing this without drinking as an escape. It's hard enough to do when life is otherwise going great.

I remember my DUI the day after and I wanted to somehow just leave my own body. But wherever I went there I was.

You've accepted this happened and you've accepted your accountability for it. You are taking your lumps sober, too. Now you have to accept that this is going to take time and your attention and resolve to never let it happen again. The time part is easy - there is nothing you can do to rush it along. It's a process that will take as long as it's going to take, but now you take a lot of heart in knowing that so long as you stay sober, you will overcome this and you will be okay. You will be better than okay, because once you've fulfilled all recompenses and are still sober by the end of it, you will have that much time of sobriety under your belt and (please) paved out a plan to add many, many years to it.

Sadly, many people before you have earned multiple DUIs and come out of the nightmare wiser and sober.

Keep coming here - I wish I knew about it all those years ago when I had my DUI.
ForestFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestFrenzy For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-01-2018), shortstop81 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 40
Dude...AA works for a lot of us!

Man, if your thinking AA? I would ask you this.
What do you have to loose?
Despite statistics and people's opinions on 12 step programs, let me drop this-
If it helps YOU, then who gives a darn what others think.
Even if it works for the time being, grab on to ANY life preserver you can, as it's your life buddy.
Also, it's physically impossible to get a DUI if you don't drink Please, for your sake, do whatever it takes.
If you are truly as alcoholic as I, I know this. It can and will get worse until YOU arrest it.
Good luck, Man!
Dig it,
Dirk
SoberDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #50 (permalink)
G-Woman
 
shortstop81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 648
I know it's hard to feel grateful right now, but with time and perspective one day you can look back at this last DUI and feel relieved that no one was hurt as a result.

It really sounds like you've hit *your* bottom and are open to doing whatever it takes to stay sober. Let us know your AA meeting went!
__________________
“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.”
shortstop81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shortstop81 For This Useful Post:
Eaglelizard (02-18-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 03:29 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
tomsteve's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: northern michigan. not the U.P.
Posts: 15,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakes2 View Post

I started to drink because it was fun,.
MANY of us did the same.
then the giggles were gone.
then we couldnt not drink.
and alllll kinds of insanity ensued.

good on ya for your choices of getting help.
__________________
all big book quotes from 1st edition
tomsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestFrenzy View Post
You are already showing a lot of courage in facing this without drinking as an escape. It's hard enough to do when life is otherwise going great.

I remember my DUI the day after and I wanted to somehow just leave my own body. But wherever I went there I was.

You've accepted this happened and you've accepted your accountability for it. You are taking your lumps sober, too. Now you have to accept that this is going to take time and your attention and resolve to never let it happen again. The time part is easy - there is nothing you can do to rush it along. It's a process that will take as long as it's going to take, but now you take a lot of heart in knowing that so long as you stay sober, you will overcome this and you will be okay. You will be better than okay, because once you've fulfilled all recompenses and are still sober by the end of it, you will have that much time of sobriety under your belt and (please) paved out a plan to add many, many years to it.

Sadly, many people before you have earned multiple DUIs and come out of the nightmare wiser and sober.

Keep coming here - I wish I knew about it all those years ago when I had my DUI.


Hi,
I am still going through wanting to leave my own body because the guilt and shame hasn't left me and I just let my thoughts get the best of me. I am trying my best to turn my life around. Can't seem to stop thinking of the worst scenarios in my head.
Thank you for being positive, I wish I could be more like that. I missed a AA meeting last week but I will go this week. Baby steps I guess...
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberDirk View Post
Man, if your thinking AA? I would ask you this.
What do you have to loose?
Despite statistics and people's opinions on 12 step programs, let me drop this-
If it helps YOU, then who gives a darn what others think.
Even if it works for the time being, grab on to ANY life preserver you can, as it's your life buddy.
Also, it's physically impossible to get a DUI if you don't drink Please, for your sake, do whatever it takes.
If you are truly as alcoholic as I, I know this. It can and will get worse until YOU arrest it.
Good luck, Man!
Dig it,
Dirk


Hi Dirk,
That is very very true! Not being able to get another DUI if you stop drinking!
I know I will never make this mistake ever again and I hope no one I love does. I will continue going to my AA meetings... it helps me know I am not the only one going through this...

Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
MANY of us did the same.
then the giggles were gone.
then we couldnt not drink.
and alllll kinds of insanity ensued.

good on ya for your choices of getting help.

Thank you!
Mistakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistakes2 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-18-2018)
Reply

Tags
alcohol , alcoholic , dui , jail , second dui


Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM.