Notices

A fifth a day, recently became bad

Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You've taken two tremendous early steps by going to ER and posting here. Keep it up. It gets easier! Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'll continue to post on here. Thanks a lot for your support everyone, it really helps.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are seeking a medically supervised detox, Crandar.

Please keep in touch. This is a really fabulous site with many great forums. The help you will find here is fantastic.

We are here for you.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We are with you all the way Crandar!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great news Crandar...as others have said, you are always welcome here, please post and check in when you can.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
I made the first step and I'm sitting in the ER. My body tremors were getting really bad, and my heart is fluttering pretty badly.
Good for you!!!! You don't want to mess with withdrawals on your own. Did they give you any meds to help with the withdrawals and resources you can connect with? I don't know where you live, but most places have either low-cost or free detox centers. Getting involved in one of those might lead to an in-patient center that is either free or at least reasonable. I have been to those and they are definitely no-frills and are filled with interesting characters, but if you focus on YOUR RECOVERY they work fine. Besides, it gives you a realistic perspective on just how bad things can get. IMHO, I think they are better than high end rehabs cause you really get to see just how bad things can get. Like Dee always says, make a plan, no excuses. John
Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Hi Crandar, I just registered here for the first time today because I'm tired of hurting myself and family. I'm hungover today, again. I'm tired of breaking promises. I'm tired of trying to hide it from my family and friends. I'm tired of being embarrassed for what I said or did the night before. I'm tired of wasting money. I'm tired of letting alcohol make decisions for me. I'm reading your posts and just knowing that you are going through this step today makes me feel a little stronger. I want to stop drinking. Today is a new day, and I'm with you! I am praying for you, and hope to read more posts on your updates...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Good for you!!!! You don't want to mess with withdrawals on your own. Did they give you any meds to help with the withdrawals and resources you can connect with? I don't know where you live, but most places have either low-cost or free detox centers. Getting involved in one of those might lead to an in-patient center that is either free or at least reasonable. I have been to those and they are definitely no-frills and are filled with interesting characters, but if you focus on YOUR RECOVERY they work fine. Besides, it gives you a realistic perspective on just how bad things can get. IMHO, I think they are better than high end rehabs cause you really get to see just how bad things can get. Like Dee always says, make a plan, no excuses. John
Yea, the prescribed librium to help whenever I get the symptoms again. I'm about to take my first one, it feels like the dosage from last night is wearing off.

They gave me a lot of great resources, and the social worker was very pleasant.

I'm setting up my first visit to an AA meeting tomorrow with an in-law that battled through this horrible illness.

Thanks again everyone, you guys are awesome
Old 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateMerlot View Post
Hi Crandar, I just registered here for the first time today because I'm tired of hurting myself and family. I'm hungover today, again. I'm tired of breaking promises. I'm tired of trying to hide it from my family and friends. I'm tired of being embarrassed for what I said or did the night before. I'm tired of wasting money. I'm tired of letting alcohol make decisions for me. I'm reading your posts and just knowing that you are going through this step today makes me feel a little stronger. I want to stop drinking. Today is a new day, and I'm with you! I am praying for you, and hope to read more posts on your updates...
Thanks bud. I feel the exact same way, it's awful.

I'm beyond tired of depending on alcohol to feel ok. It gets so much worse when you don't have it, and I would always feel a million times worse when the initial affects started to wear off. So i ended up getting to the point of killing will over a fifth a day.

I'm a couple hours away from my first 24 hour period of being clean in months, and after making that first step last night, I never wanna turn back.

I wish you the best too buddy, and I'm glad that you decided to join here too
Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

We're sure glad you are here and seeking help, Crander.

Please keep us posted.

We are also happy that you are with us and trying to get and stay sober, Merlot.

Please keep participating and keeping us posted.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Crandar, glad to hear you went to the ER to get some medical help. A fifth a day is a pretty serious habit. I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, but if you use this medication and detox yourself, you won't ever have to go through it again. If you break down and start drinking again, you'll be back at the ER. I doubt you want that. Good job on being responsible and getting to the doctor.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cejay View Post
Hey Crandar,

Lots of us hid our drinking.

Have you looked into AA? It's super intimidating to go to your first meeting, but if you go, you'll likely find people who will enthusiastically offer to help you. Everyone there, has been in your shoes. There are meetings everywhere. (Google it?) Keep your common sense about you but they're (generally) sincere.

It helped me, and it's helped many before you. It's free. Yeah, it can sound religious but you don't have to do or worry about that right now, nor do you have to participate in that stuff if it's not for you.

If you just can't do it, try listening to some quit drinking podcasts or googling Rational Recovery? (SMART)

All free and anonymous.

CJ
Rational Recovery uses AVRT (Addictive voice recognition technique)
SMART is a different thing, it uses REBT (rational emotive behaviour therapy). Sorry to butt in, but my OCD got the better of me
Hope you feel better soon Crandar
Old 03-17-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Joey

D
Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Crandar.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm on day three now, and my mental state is getting a little better. I'm glad that I have a good support group both irl and here.

Today is the first day that the body aches really started to kick in, ******* hurts.

Hopefully it goes away soon.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you updated!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 3 Crandar

D
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
I'm on day three now, and my mental state is getting a little better. I'm glad that I have a good support group both irl and here.

Today is the first day that the body aches really started to kick in, ******* hurts.

Hopefully it goes away soon.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you updated!
So glad to hear from you, Crandar. So pleased to hear that you are on Day 3.

We are here for you.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How are you, Crandar? Thinking of you.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's been one week without a drink. I'm done counting days, I'm counting weeks now

Idk if this sounds bizarre, but I stabbed my hunting knife through the last bottle I bought, and keep it on my dresser, knife through it and all. I'm a pretty symbolic person, and doing that made me feel like I hammered the last nail in the coffin of my biggest demon.

I'll continue to post here still, thanks a lot everyone. You're all great people
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So glad you went to the ER! Great decision. Withdrawal is very dangerous, and you'll be safe there. The doctors can also refer you to places to find help. I would consider doing inpatient so you take some time to get used to being sober again. Good luck!