Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group

Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Thanks, V.

Yes, we do share similarities in our stories, don't we? I am thinking of you today. Hugs.

I am so happy to know that she'd be proud of you for being sober. I know my mom would as well. We can take comfort in that knowledge.

My mom would be very happy for me; she'd be glad I didn't collapse under the grief, and she'd be glad I've been bolstered by the tragedy in the sense of using it as inspiration to move on and make a life worth living.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

'Perhaps tragedies are only tragedies in the presence of love, which confers meaning to loss.'
Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

'Rilke’s grasp of the transient nature of all things is critical to his capacity to praise and to cherish.

[…]

In the face of impermanence and death, it takes courage to love the things of this world and to believe that praising them is our noblest calling. Rilke’s is not a conditional courage, dependent on an afterlife. Nor is it a stoic courage, keeping a stiff upper lip when shattered by loss. It is courage born of the ever-unexpected discovery that acceptance of mortality yields an expansion of being. In naming what is doomed to disappear, naming the way it keeps streaming through our hands, we can hear the song that streaming makes.

[…]

His capacity to embrace the dark and to acknowledge loss brings comfort to the reader because nothing of life is left out. There is nothing that cannot be redeemed. No degree of hopelessness, such as that of prisoners, beggars, abandoned animals, or inmates of asylums, is outside the scope of the poet’s respectful attention. He allows us to see that the bestowal of such pure attention is in itself a triumph of the spirit.

[…]

Rilke would teach us to accept death as well as life, and in so doing to recognize that they belong together as two halves of the same circle.

In the book, Macy highlights one particularly poignant 1923 letter to the Countess Margot Sizzo-Noris-Crouy, in which 48-year-old Rilke writes:

The great secret of death, and perhaps its deepest connection with us, is this: that, in taking from us a being we have loved and venerated, death does not wound us without, at the same time, lifting us toward a more perfect understanding of this being and of ourselves.

He adds:

I am not saying that we should love death, but rather that we should love life so generously, without picking and choosing, that we automatically include it (life’s other half) in our love. This is what actually happens in the great expansiveness of love, which cannot be stopped or constricted. It is only because we exclude it that death becomes more and more foreign to us and, ultimately, our enemy.

It is conceivable that death is infinitely closer to us than life itself… What do we know of it?

In the same letter, he admonishes against our crippling compulsion to deny death, which only impoverishes life:

Our effort, I suggest, can be dedicated to this: to assume the unity of Life and Death and let it be progressively demonstrated to us. So long as we stand in opposition to Death we will disfigure it. Believe me, my dear Countess, Death is our friend, our closest friend, perhaps the only friend who can never be misled by our ploys and vacillations. And I do not mean that in the sentimental, romantic sense of distrusting or renouncing life. Death is our friend precisely because it brings us into absolute and passionate presence with all that is here, that is natural, that is love… Life always says Yes and No simultaneously. Death (I implore you to believe) is the true Yea-sayer. It stands before eternity and says only: Yes.'
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Death, other peoples' deaths, are what the living have to experience. Until the end. So we are more acquainted with death than we think.

But, we are more acquainted with life than we know. We don't realize or acknowledge our life. What should be most precious to us gets ignored.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hugs to you to help you through this day, Jennie!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Do your best

This page & it contents touched my heart x
Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Interview at post office in five minutes.

Maybe I'll get this one. Hope so.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I nailed the interview.

Whether I get it or not, I feel I've done my best.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this is it, Jennie!

Sending positive vibes your way.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
now's the time

That's great!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Found you!

Hi Jennie - I hope you are well, it seems like you are doing great

Good luck with the post office
Old 05-12-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sao. Yep, doing well. Glad to see you.

Hope you're well, too!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Haagen Dazs toasted sesame brittle is good stuff!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
now's the time

I have another round of interviews with the job I really want! this one involves them buying me a plane ticket and putting me up in a hotel (they're in another city)... so I think if I get through this round it'll be the last. Nervous but excited!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

fantail, if they're buying airfare and a hotel, you have a serious opportunity. Go Big! Wow them. Best of luck but I don't think you need it.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Haagen Dazs toasted sesame brittle is good stuff!
Seriously well done on nailing the interview & grab a spoon because you had me at toasted

https://www.haagendazs.us/products/4...esame-brittle/ - So lush I can only dream it comes to the uk

What book you reading hun ? I just finished power of intention & halfway through I thought it was just me - proper excellent books

Spk soon & have a lovely sober friday SP x
Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

It sounds exciting, Fantail. Keep us posted.

Fingers crossed for you, though I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Wolfie, I'm reading a few books right now: Graduate Study for the 21st Century, The Freelancer's Bible, and Moomin: The Deluxe Anniversary Edition.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a big life change going on now. We have bought a new home in the funky, fun, beach area of my city. I love the community feel here. We have lots of work to do before moving and decided to do it ourselves. We are removing carpet, hardwood and tile and will put hardwood throughout
We will also paint everywhere and other odd jobs. It really is fun so far. We hope to move in July.