Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group

Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thanks guys! Trach, I agree... I'm definitely a finalist. No one's ever spent money on me before hiring before. I am psyching myself up to be as charming and intelligent as possible. I've given them a written exercise already which they were very impressed by, so it feels like I'm almost in.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I have a big life change going on now. We have bought a new home in the funky, fun, beach area of my city. I love the community feel here. We have lots of work to do before moving and decided to do it ourselves. We are removing carpet, hardwood and tile and will put hardwood throughout
We will also paint everywhere and other odd jobs. It really is fun so far. We hope to move in July.
Congrats, Anna!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Thanks guys! Trach, I agree... I'm definitely a finalist. No one's ever spent money on me before hiring before. I am psyching myself up to be as charming and intelligent as possible. I've given them a written exercise already which they were very impressed by, so it feels like I'm almost in.
Good luck on your final interview, Fantail!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

My life is the opposite of big changes right now, but I still find this thread interesting. I know from past experience how exciting it can be to make big life changes.

I'm looking forward to a very boring summer of hard work and no travel. I am going to take quite a few days off for long weekends sitting on my deck in the back yard.

I did just spend two weeks traveling. One for work, one for vacation.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantail, it sounds like you're going to get this job. I hope so, and I wish you well on the interview.

GroundhogDay, long, lazy weekends in the summer sound really lovely.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry I've been a bit absent ~ it's been a huge week for me. But first, all of you....

Good luck Jennie and fantail, although, everyone is right, and it sounds like both of you have a very good chance of securing these jobs!!

Congratulations Anna on the new house!!
That sounds lovely. I hope you will be so very happy there.
(I live at the beach, and have done so for years; I love it).

wolfie, GD, sao, trach ~ love to all of you.

I need to eat, as usual, I have not made time to do that today. Very silly of me.
But I wanted to say at least a quick hello. ♥
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Anna, that sounds fantastic! Very happy for you. Sounds like an ideal place to live.

Fantail, I'm excited for you!! Keep us posted...

Hi, V. Glad to see you again. Hope things are going well for you. Please do share anything you'd like here on the thread. How is Venus the Cat?

Hi again, GroundhogDay.

I have been so busy lately, I can barely keep up, lol. We finally installed my gorgeous new front door last night. We ran into two issues, and so it dragged on, seemingly forever. The new door handle isn't installed just yet, but will be soon. It's amazing what 1/8" will do to mess up your plans in life, lol!! But I have an expert involved (ex-bf) and I trust his skills and experience completely. He is handling things well.

I replaced some smaller gardenia bushes with some large ones. I moved the smaller ones to an area on the side yard, flanking a gate going into the backyard. This looks better. Happy with it.

I've got my front flower bed filled up with salvia, roses, lavender, rosemary, and blueberry bushes. It's looking full and lush finally. I did get the weed barrier material and will hopefully be measuring and cutting and installing this week.

We put together a linen cabinet for my bathroom this week. It allowed me to declutter my counter space. Looks nice.

I forgot to post this, but I did get my Adirondack furniture assembled, and my back porch is really coming together. We still have work to do on the screen, though. I'm ordering a tropical style ceiling fan for the porch, too. And going to string some white patio lights across the ceiling. Not sure exactly when all this will be finished. Seems things are going slowly, but I am steadily making progress.

Oh, and I installed a wrought iron trellis just behind my mailbox, for the confederate star jasmine vine to grow and curl around. It look really nice. It matches my mailbox. And it's not to tall or wide. It blends in well and looks good. The jasmine has been growing on it for over a week now. I still have to put the jasmine into the ground. It's still in a large pot.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Haven't heard back about her decision for the post office mail carrier job...

I'm currently grading for Pearson. It's my seasonal English essay grading job. I do it online. Super busy and wish I could relax more, but it's crunch time...
Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, you really are busy, SP! Grading English essays sounds like a lot of work, but I imagine you handle it like a pro. And, your garden must be so pretty. It's good to hear you working on projects around the house.

Things are moving along here, slowly but surely. We have removed about two-thirds of the hardwood so far and it's going pretty well. We will have the new hardwood delivered next week and are setting up tools to be ready for cutting. Today we ordered new blinds for all the windows and painted one of the bedrooms.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

Things are moving along here, slowly but surely. We have removed about two-thirds of the hardwood so far and it's going pretty well. We will have the new hardwood delivered next week and are setting up tools to be ready for cutting. Today we ordered new blinds for all the windows and painted one of the bedrooms.
Sounds great, Anna. How did you ever decide on the type of wood? I am looking at hardwood vs. Pergo type flooring, since we have the dogs. Pergo is supposed to hold up to dog nails really well, and resist scratching. It looks like real hardwood. I'm not completely sold on the idea, yet, though. But I have to be practical about it.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I've ordered a noise-cancelling headset to wear to tune out background noise while I'm writing and working. Maybe it will help. Between it and the lock on my door, I should be all set.

My next project might be the decluttering of our third bedroom. It's the 'extra' room that was designated for my husband. He turned it into a catch-all junk room. We need the space to set up his desk and laptop ... to get him OUT of my office.

It is very hard for me to maintain focus and momentum knowing he might be sitting in here at my desk at any moment, or knowing he's loitering nearby, hoping to use the computer. This won't work anymore. Time to get serious.

As you can probably tell, I'm frustrated...
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

We got engineered hardwood, the click together kind. It's maple and has a lovely reddish tinge to it. I agree that laminate is tough, but the maple wood we are getting is quite hard. We had three cats on the last hardwood floor we installed and it had a matte finish and never got a scratch. But, the dogs would be heavier and probably have larger nails. It's a hard choice.

And, good for you for setting limits on your space. That's very important and your job requires it.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

'potamus, HIS next project will be making HIS office.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
now's the time

I got it! I got the job! I start ASAP. Renting a van and getting all my stuff together to move south!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay, Fantail! Moving south for a great job!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thank you! I'm so excited! New adventures ahead. Messy past in the past.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Big congrats, Fantail!! Really happy you got it!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
'potamus, HIS next project will be making HIS office.
Ha! It's a nice thought, anyway.

A grownup, responsible man might do that, lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I have a 6:30 a.m. GRE webinar in the morning. It had better be good.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Haagen-Dazs Green Tea ice-cream. Nom nom nom.