Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group

Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
now's the time

Could you try it out for a bit and see how it goes? I guess the vehicle problem is there no matter what though.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

The good thing about it is that I'd made much more money per hour, and there's the opportunity to learn other routes and fill in for those carriers. In one day I'd make as much as I make in two days at the garden center. They do pay for mileage and some sort of reimbursement for car wear & tear.

I could try it out, yeah. I guess I could get used to the Saturday route and just go from there.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

'potamus, it's a gummint job. Once you get in the benefits grow and grow.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
The good thing about it is that I'd made much more money per hour, and there's the opportunity to learn other routes and fill in for those carriers. In one day I'd make as much as I make in two days at the garden center. They do pay for mileage and some sort of reimbursement for car wear & tear.

I could try it out, yeah. I guess I could get used to the Saturday route and just go from there.
I think the carrier route + the proofreading makes the most sense. You would learn over time which (and how many) clients you could handle for the proofreading. As you said, the garden center job pays less. Since you had only originally agreed to a temporary job there, you could pass on the permanent job with no hard feelings. If you decided you didn't like the carrier job, the garden center would likely consider hiring you back.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, y'all. I am grateful to have your input. Very.

All great, valid points. I'll sleep on it.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Then again, there's still the old guy's life insurance.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Of course, Trach.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, it does sound a lot to manage at once. I was in a situation where I had worked hard to get a 'fill-in' job, not as a carrier but similar circumstances. I was needed to fill in for about 6 or 7 positions, usually on short notice. It was hard to manage at times, but the most difficult part was that there was no guarantee of specific income each week/month. And, I needed to contribute to the family income. So, I had to let the job go before I was able to move into a permanent position, and I regret that. I'm not sure how you would proceed but continuing to work on the proof-reading training sounds like an excellent choice. It's what you've wanted for a long time.

Fantail, have a safe move. Do you know anyone in the new city? And, I hope this move helps you believe that you are Fantail and you are awesome!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thank you Anna. Yes, I'm really hoping that this will help me get my self confidence back. The way new jobs go though I'm prepared for it to hurt my confidence for a bit before it helps!

I don't know anyone there at all but surprisingly I'm not feeling nervous about that. I thought I never wanted to do that ever again (move somewhere with no one I know)... but I think that was just part of the overall state I was in at the end of my drinking. Sober I feel ready to take it on. Excited even.

SP, the pay difference between the garden center and the carrier route is significant! Is there a minimum number of hours that you're guaranteed each week, or is it entirely unpredictable?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
n.
SP, the pay difference between the garden center and the carrier route is significant! Is there a minimum number of hours that you're guaranteed each week, or is it entirely unpredictable?
I think Saturday is the only guarantee, and I'm not sure of the hours. I'm thinking anywhere from 8 to 12? No idea really. I have no information yet. Still waiting on the email from HR with next instructions.

I think, once I get the email and am ready to proceed forward, I'll call and talk with the assistant store manager at the garden center, and let him know what's going on. I'll suggest to him to allow me to work a 15-20 hour week, with all Saturdays off. I doubt this is going to be good news for him, as I currently work most Saturdays and Sundays. But, I'm sure he'll understand that I can't turn down a job like this, considering the pay and benefits, even though it's starting out only one day per week.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I don't know anyone there at all but surprisingly I'm not feeling nervous about that. I thought I never wanted to do that ever again (move somewhere with no one I know)... but I think that was just part of the overall state I was in at the end of my drinking. Sober I feel ready to take it on. Excited even.
This is awesome.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm not sure how you would proceed but continuing to work on the proof-reading training sounds like an excellent choice. It's what you've wanted for a long time.
Yes, I think I'll put the proofreading course and business before anything else. It was what I focused on before the surgery. It is what I've wanted for a long while now. And if turns out not to be exactly what I wanted, well, I can go back to blogging.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

He actually started cleaning out some of his cluttered room today. It's not much progress, though. I really can't tell he did anything at all. Maybe he's getting the message.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
his cluttered room.
Shooting myself in the foot here.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I need to get him out of my office, Trach, like yesterday. He needs to clean out his extra room so we can set up his desk and a laptop. I need my space back for myself. I can't be creative and work fluidly and with uninterrupted concentration knowing he might need the computer in here. I pretty much need to shut him out of here entirely in order to feel 'alone' enough to write...

Short of divorcing him, this is my only hope.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

I screwed up and married the wrong person. So now I'm having to work with what I've got going.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

So, kick him out' potamus. My Office, My Career, Get Out. Love you but it's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with him. You can't live like this can you?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Love you but it's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with him.
This is condescension and it's also offensive in that you're assuming there's one way to handle a multifaceted issue. Things aren't that simple.

I understand myself, and I understand my life.

I value support, but never condescension.

No hard feelings, though. I still care for you.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

So, you can live like that. OK.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

It's not a breezy walk in the park...

But I'm a tough girl, I've been through quite a lot... much worse than this.