Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVII: "Sober Wars"

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I am proud of you for pouring the rest out Cow
That is not easy to do, I can recall from pouring out my beautiful beer (poison) a few times.

So baby steps. Just would you try and stay with us and not go any farther for today... maybe... please?

xo
Old 01-04-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Whoahh...talk about serendipitous!! Doesn't get much 'signier' than that! Good on you, Cow......and Sleepie. This is what friends are for :-)

Courage, I meant to say earlier....no, I don't have any live help, although I would love it. Trouble is that all we have here is AA. I went once, and it's really not my cup of tea at all. Too churchy and regimented for me. I have looked thoroughly for some kind of small gathering - you would think there would be one. We do have 1.5 million people living in this city, but no, nada. I think I will just have to use SR a lot more honestly than I ended up doing late last year. If I fall, or feel really tempted, I'm going to say so. Otherwise, my posting here is silly. I mean, like Cow says, it's fun and we have a few laughs and genuinely feel fond of each other, but I feel that has to take a back seat to the sobriety stuff.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Sleepies, I gonna watch Rudolf Nureyev movie with ballet neighbor when he get home tonight, but other than that, I be close by. I already decide I NOT leaving house tomorrow. For any reason. I not need anything, so is no need to, and any leaving will be total suspicious. I really want to sit, however untenable it get, with my deep deluded desire for morning coffee.

Shabs, I hate AA too. Although I not mind Free-Thinking (atheist/agnostic) women's group I go to. Is you have any define group like that? Is you see personal therapist? We will try to be better small gathering for you. I total agree that we has become little bit Chatty Kathy with the light topics. But we all come here to get and/or stay sober, and is time to get nitty gritty, honest, and hold each other accountable.

I feel I has been pretty damn brutal honest during my time on SR, but, has I made progress? Not as I thought I would. Not as I would like. I know is still deeper well that keeping me sick. It not enough just to spills my guts. I mean, I sure that very important step. But then, you not just wallow in you guts for year on end. You has to start moving. My self, I so frozen. Jesus God, my house look like mausoleum. I total need better "program" as Bunny say, even if it one I make up for my self.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

That sounds good Cow.
I don't want to leave. I have an interview tomorrow though. It's only a local part timer thing... but I was in tears earlier at the thought of yet another crash and burn scenario, which happens quicker each time now. And I am just pained at the thought of dealing with people... smiling.
Sigh.

If you made progress it's better than no progress. I posted earlier about the broken way I finally made it to this point. I can only think my small periods of abstinence helped me get there, if only to break the "all or nothing" mentality. If it was a slip and not a do-over Day one thing where I discounted my sober time, I could just go on my way. Otherwise I was stuck in the "Oh well, I already drank so I'll just keep going and quit next Monday" kind of rut.

I had to just keep it simple and just pure grit not drink and not benzo. I guess eventually it added up.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

The program for me has been action-oriented.
I found I was thinking about stuff too much so I started doing more.
All the yoga, gym, and hiking stuff was to get something
habituated into the body besides booze and angst.

I think I just sometimes lose myself in the physical activity
especially the yoga--it just becomes the mat and the teacher's voice
and me finally paying attention to all the coiled knots of pain in my gut
which I usually would drown in alcohol.

You seem to really connect riding the dirt bike at the cabin.
Also I notice you keep your dodge ball appointment pretty regularly.
Things like that should surely be a big focus in your program.

Seems obvious, but filling the time so you don't have big flat lapses
to be tempted to drink works pretty well too for me.
That's why I started playing guitar when I first quit and taking the voice lessons this year.
It takes time to practice, and I'm not thinking about me or my addiction
when I'm doing that stuff.
What do you think?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, no, we don't have any groups like that, and I've looked really hard for one. So yes, I have found myself a really good therapist. Blimmin' expensive, but I'd rather pay through the nose for a good one than get nowhere with someone mediocre. He is psychodynamic in his orientation which I prefer.

You have been brutally honest and I really admire that. I feel excited for all of us - we got this, as the young ones like to say. You guys who have months and years of sobriety under your belts are an inspiration.

P.S. Anyone who is considering watching 'The Returned' on Netflix - don't bother. It was a complete waste of 10 hours.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

it is nice to be absorbed in an activity isn't it Hawk?

I keep it light so I don't get discouraged, but interesting enough not to be bored. What a balancing act. Well it's no secret that drawing Cow cartoons is a bit of a past time lately.

That kind of thing.

LOL Shab that's bf's late night thing to watch. He loves The Returned.

I am happy with "Skins". Teen drama, pretty silly fare but easy for my distracted nature.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I feel excited too in that I'm entering new ground. . .
I'm not drinking again, and feels so strange to me to even write that down
I know I haven't been in this place mentally before.
To paraphrase Frodo
Ready to cast the ring / bottle into the fires of Mt. Doom

"Here, at the end of all things, I'm glad to have you with me"

G'night all. . .
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hawk, you right about me and the physical active things. And sadly, last couple year, I just let more and more of them go. Tennis. Hiking. And last year even p*ssing away my dirtbike riding and wallyball. And even walking! I just let it all fall away as I sink like stone into stagnant pool of intertia, depressions, anhedonia, addiction. I saw it happening, but was like watching someone drown from the shore. I not have nearly enough strength to even try to swim out to save me.

So now, I does my 20 minute sun walk every day. I starting there. I get on trampoline when I can. Is like baby step all over again. I very out of shape. Fat. Weak. But, like person who wake up from coma, you has to start small and work back up. I feel bad, I let so much go. Some of it was health issue and menopause, but by far, most of it was surrendering to my substances.

Sleepies, you drawings has impacted me. So I glad it a mutual boost.

We has all made steps. And I not can speak for everybody, but I know is part of me clinging to my peg leg who just want to dissolve into addiction's cozy inertia and not has to fight for something different and ... ... more.

But, I must somewhere still has some fight, cuz I wanna fight.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That you want to fight is a good sign, Cow.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Yeah, it just has to last longer than when next time I feel like give up.

I sure if Lenina was here, she say it my Libra nature to be both want to fight and give up at same time.

How you going, Trach?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm ok, darlin. working on the solution.

No, it's not world domination.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Ah, I should have known Cow, I am an aquarius.
Libras and aquarians get along
you proved it...
BELIEVE lol

That really is quite a thing though, with the package showing up today as if purposefully delayed...

Hi Trach
Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, sleepie.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

NO! I never join you!!! I does think the universe is interactive, Sleepies, cuz that just physics: from Newton 3rd Law to Schrödinger's Cat. But I never gonna get down with the star signs!

... Although, is said the Turtle Sign keep lot inside they shell, and is no very verbal. Hmm. ...
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hello possums :-)

Great interview with Stephen Fry about addiction:

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I saw this and immediately thought of you guys.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hi SR! I misses you, and you unique intelligent but damaged perspective.

Shabs, I not watch video yet, but I adores Steve Fry. And plus also "hello possums" remind me immediate of Dame Edna whom I has met and we had hilarious exchange. S/HE THE BEST!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

OK one more then I have to go to bed. This one reminds me of you Cow.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I adore Stephen Fry too. Wow - Barry Humphries!! Apparently, you can get those GPS satellite tracking device thingmebobs in Dame Edna's voice. After our last trip to Oz I thought I must get some gladioli for the garden :-)