Notices

Mixed feelings about AA being a cult

Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Those are valid comments about AVRT and RR, Shamal, reasonably presented with an obvious knowledge and understanding of the content. Cool.
I don't know if that is sincere or not. Full disclosure, I only presented what *I* felt from reading through the book. To re-iterate, everyone's method is their own. It's obviously helped a lot of people, but the 'fit' wasn't right for me, due to the reasons I outlined. For those in the RR camp, the AA 'fit' isn't right for them.

Whatever gets you sober, go for it ! As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat (please don't tell my kitty I said that!)

And Carlotta, your ongoing Jonestown references make me smile. It's a nice lighthearted interjection into this thread (although the politically correct folks among us might not share the humour - it really was an epic tragedy)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shamal View Post
It would be nice if you refrained from snide, sarcastic commentary. This isn't a demand, nor a suggestion, simply a request that you reconsider the value of your input, and what it brings to the discussion, apart from veiled hostility.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

From the big book

"We have been speaking to you of serious, sometimes tragic things. We have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life"

And let's not forget rule 62.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

Respectfully, may I ask why the deviation from AA is discouraged, when it is in the 'Alcoholism' subforum, rather than an AA-specific subforum?
Moderators are not supermen, or this one isnt

I'm trying to cover about 6 forums right now.

This thread is already taking up a lot of my time...Adding RR into the mix will not make that better.

you may disagree, but I feel my time would be better devoted to Newcomers who need help.

That's why I asked, nicely

D
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

And Carlotta, your ongoing Jonestown references make me smile. It's a nice lighthearted interjection into this thread (although the politically correct folks among us might not share the humour - it really was an epic tragedy)
There is only one rule in AA which is absolutely sacred to me: it is rule 62
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

"At the expense of ridiculing others" does not appear in that paragraph.....
Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
p***enger

I know I promised but this is like using. I can't quit but I can't get high.

I swear to Good Orderly Direction (that just doesn't carry a lot of oomph) that I'm serious -- y'all worry too darn much. It goes like this:
  1. Stop drinking. If that's enough for you, then live.
  2. If you're miserable, find something to do that's less miserable -- sitting around drinking coffee, eating cookies, and telling jokes about what a drunk you were can be one of many kinds of fun, with some practice.
  3. If you're an ass, become a better person, because better people are generally speaking less miserable.
  4. B & C are easier with a guide or guides. If you started out as a drunk, a sober and non-miserable drunk might be a good guide. Multiple guides are better than one, because no one is perfect.
AA isn't a cult, it's just a place where some not completely disorganized people convene to practice A-D. How much more explanation do you need?

Originally Posted by lacey424 View Post
I think alcoholism deserves the same attention as other diseases.
Ooooh la, let's move on to the disease theory!

Dee, please pass me some of that stuff Carlotta brought.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't know if that is sincere or not. Full disclosure, I only presented what *I* felt from reading through the book.
I was being most sincere, Shamal. Well considered comments are instructive, and appreciated. My sobriety is not threatened in the least by anyone's opinion, and RR doesn't need me to defend it. Keep on rockin'.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

..., members talking in group-speak cliches, the insistence that 'every word, every italicized passage, had been written exactly that way for a reason, and no deviation on the wording is acceptable' and the treatment of Bill W's writings as gospel...

Please try and step away from your accepted and trusted opinion of AA for a moment, and view the fellowship through the eyes of a newcomer. A fragile, broken person...

...I would like to hope that those 'older sober members' are not dismissive of open, articulate and respectful dialogue when people have questions or concerns.
There's an old timer I know who recently celebrated 35 years. I told him after the meeting he's an excellent example of attraction rather than promotion. He has a disarming way about him that makes you feel comfortable. That he wouldn't bite your head off if you questioned certain aspects of AA.

Imo, members confident in their recovery especially those with a lot of time understand those new may not buy into the program hook, line and sinker right away or if at all.

On the other hand there are members who demand those new follow their strict interpretation of the AA program. You either do the program the way they say or you can take a hike. And this approach is fine for many people.

The beauty of AA is no one can demand you to do anything. (Although you may run the risk of feeling ostracized at some meetings.)

If someone keeps harping about the way you work the AA program (imo) it says more about that person than you. Stick around long enough and you're sure to notice a few members who speak as though they wrote the BB yet are quite dysfunctional.

Nobody in AA is perfect and it's easy to find faults but I call it home. Let the heavy hitters in the room argue among themselves and play group guru. Take what you need and leave the rest if need be.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I heard there was KoolAid and cookies.

...dangit. I was staying off the forums.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
p***enger

"Mixed Feelings About AA Being A Cult"

My feelings were indeed mixed at first.

I was a little scared of cults.

But now that I've been indoctrinated, I'm totally psyched to be in one! It's almost as hip as being a hipster, and you don't have to be hip, plus hipsters are so last decade.

I hope you'll all join me in surrender to completely unmixed feelings about AA being a cult. Let's enjoy the refreshments without criticism! (Actually, as self-proclaimed Queen of NYC UES Hospitality, I've seen a lot of disputes over cookie selection.) The awesome prizes! The Bill W. dinner dance!

I'm going to go memorize some literature. This thread has inspired me!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I heard there was KoolAid and cookies.

...dangit. I was staying off the forums.

If they served kool aid at a meeting I would walk out. Of course I'd have to walk in first which is unlikely
Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

There will be a pop quiz tomorrow, courage2. You will be expected to recite select passages. Backwards, and in Yiddish.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
If they served kool aid at a meeting I would walk out. Of course I'd have to walk in first which is unlikely
The worst thing is that there are always baked goods and nothing to drink except coffee.

Even on the big-@ss potluck nights, AA meetings have somehow banished any liquid refreshment. It's the oddest thing. I've been to a lot of meetings. Coffee or nuttin, honey.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'd walk out is a thing right?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There will be a pop quiz tomorrow, courage2. You will be expected to recite select passages. Backwards, and in Yiddish.
Would a one line summary work?

Oy vey. Don't get shickered like a goy you schlemiel. It will kill your bubbe.

Sorry I just couldn't resist
Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I'd walk out is a thing right?
I've seen people leave in a huff, leave in tears, leave to go drink, leave to go to work, leave "with" someone, leave because the meeting was sooooo long.

Mostly they walked, so yeah.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

The worst thing is that there are always baked goods and nothing to drink except coffee.

Even on the big-@ss potluck nights, AA meetings have somehow banished any liquid refreshment. It's the oddest thing. I've been to a lot of meetings. Coffee or nuttin, honey.
Were you expecting a keg party?

I always make sure there's a range of herbal teas available at my home group, and we have cut fruit rather than cookies. Another meeting I went to have bowls of high quality mixed nuts....
Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I've seen people leave in a huff, leave to go drink, leave to go to work, leave "with" someone, leave because the meeting was sooooo long.

Mostly they walked, so yeah.
I've seen it used a few times on this forum over ridiculous things. I thought it was type of inside joke.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I've seen it used a few times on this forum over ridiculous things. I thought it was type of inside joke.
On forums they flounce, though.

Usually in meetings, they slink.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Were you expecting a keg party?

I always make sure there's a range of herbal teas available at my home group, and we have cut fruit rather than cookies. Another meeting I went to have bowls of high quality mixed nuts....
We have mixed nuts here. Some are high quality I am sure of it.