Notices
View Poll Results: What's your IQ if you know it?
under 60
7.09%
60-69
0.71%
70-79
0%
80-89
0%
90-**
0.71%
100-109
2.13%
110-119
4.26%
120-129
24.11%
130-139
29.08%
140 and over
31.91%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

What's your IQ?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
One might even say addictive, lol.
Yep, you could look at my history. But this is a better addiction than booze, fore sure
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I don't have a clue what my IQ is, but I suspect it's in the room temperature range.

How and where do you get tested?
No need to SoberCAH. I took the test for you. You got a 137
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

also, if you do take an online iq test, add ten points to your iq if you do not fill out the form to find out what your score was.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I love your post, JD. I was in a very irritable mood yesterday and almost everyone I came in contact with annoyed me. I think I have gotten used to such raw honesty and humble self introspection here on SR, that when the rest of the world doesn't match that, I get frustrated, but reality is to get to this level of self honesty, I think most people have to have had a major crisis that gave them no choice but to get honest with themselves. That is the blessing of our addictions that stopped working for us.
It's ironic but nothing seems to help an alcoholic more than the truth about themselves. Yet, nothing seems to pi$$ off an alcoholic more than the truth about themselves.

Truth, via self-appraisal, is like a double edge sword that cuts both ways.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I voted under 60 just to lower the average of the group LOL
Carlotta, ditto, if the majority are gonna lie so am I, rootin for everyone.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Truth, via self-appraisal, is like a double edge sword that cuts both ways.
Yep. That's where humility comes in handy. Takes the edge off the bad side of the blade.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Carlotta, ditto, if the majority are gonna lie so am I, rootin for everyone.
Two wrongs do make a right? New math? Lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
While some alcoholic are quite stupid, I find that most are of higher intellect. Perhaps this is self serving to ease my own conscious but it is my experience that alcoholics (let me just use addicts in general) are like an unguided missile. They have in many cases greater than average motivation, ambition, but lack a guidance system and end up stuck in self harm and destruction.

Further, denial is one of the strongest human traits that I see. Self reflection and rigorous honesty is one of the toughest character traits or virtues to learn. So those that are able to develop I believe are among a small percentage of a very small percentage of people. Perhaps this is one reason why recovery rates are so low?

It is my belief that most people do not want to be enlightened in recovery. Everyone says they want to fall in love and be happy and want true enlightenment...but do they really or do they just want relief to their particular situation? Look at the posts on this site. Do you think if a newcomer comes onto this board and writes about his or her troubles and you could give them a pill to fix it all they would take it and return to doing exactly what they were doing that got them on here in the first place? Of course. People want relief from their pain. They want to bury their head in their pillow and comfy safe lives and go back to sleep...they are upset in the most part that addiction in some shape or form has woken them from their dream they call life.

I wonder if one must not walk through the valley of death to experience the most horrid of life's events to then understand the how lucky and beautiful it is to live in the present moment? To be truly grateful for what we have? Do we not have to experience hell to understand heaven (metaphorically speaking)? Do we need to experience pain to understand true pleasure?

I can walk into most circles and hold my own. I can attend a charity event in Washington with World leaders and be accepted based on my social status and professional achievements. However, I find some of the wisest men and women I have ever come across on this site. Not in those charity events. I find more addicts there who have yet to go through their own self discovery, driven by self will and out of balance egos. Some of the best conversations and debates I have ever been apart of that have really made me think are on this site.

So I humbly disagree that recovering addicts/alcoholics are dumb. I believe they are anything but...they are making the most honorable decision in my book which is facing fears and the mirror and consciously choosing to try and change - no small feat marked by the dismal recovery success rates of our shared disorder/disease/maladies.
yes like i said jd
alcoholics are so smart they couldn't figure out that to not pick up the first drink they can not end up getting drunk.

how hard is that for anyone to work out ? yet when i look back at all the ways i tried to control my drinking to make sure i didnt end up getting drunk and in more trouble
bang i would be drunk
for all the wisdom in the world i couldn't see that to not pick up that first drink was the answer

people told me or begged me not to drink and i would a agree with them with all my heart yet i still kept on trying to control it and not end up drunk and in that mess again

who ever thought up that idea of not picking up the first drink is the wisest person on the planet for me
how on earth did he or she ever think of that ?
amazing when you just think how simple it is yet how so dam hard it is to practise lol
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
people told me or begged me not to drink and i would agree with them with all my heart yet i still kept on trying to control it and not end up drunk and in that mess again
You saw the poem "Drunks", by Jack Mc, posted elsewhere, right Pete?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

"Drunks" live: Jack McCarthy performs "Drunks" - YouTube
Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Last time I took an IQ test was in 5th grade like 25 years ago. It was in the 130's. I imagine years of drugging and drinking have eroded that number. My IQ certainly had no relevance when it came to anything that mattered in my life, such as my poor decision making.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I've no clue what mine is. I guess I could calculate it from some standardized tests I've taken using the equivalent.

Guess it doesn't really matter, does it? Since we can only deviate about five points in either direction? Is that even valid anymore?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I took an IQ test in college before I started drinking. It was 145.

Then I started binge drinking every night to the point of passing out. I drank a half-gallon of vodka every day for about a year.

That was 8 years ago. Now my IQ is 130.

It is reasonable to assume that drinking may have negatively affected my IQ.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

My IQ is "smart enough to know better" lol. But seriously, I've never taken an IQ test and have never felt the need to....
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

You don't have to be a genius to prove Einstein's theory of Insanity correct:

"Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results."
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

That makes sense Boleo, it must not be spiritual.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
That makes sense Boleo, it must not be spiritual.
Einstein was not open minded enough to grasp Zen. One must have the kind of open mind where the brains spill out.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Years back my daughter had a friend visiting at the house. They were both about 15-16 YO. My daughter had recently taken an IQ test for a gifted program ( idiot savant that she is).

We were discussing her score when the friend commented " want to know what mine is?" I said sure.....response was " 3.5"! We chuckled and my daughter kindly told her friend not your grade average, your IQ.

The girl responded - " Oh, I thought you were talking about my CPA!"

Haaaa........poor thing
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I can tell that I always sucked at math so me taking an IQ test that requires that sort of thinking methods and problem solving would leave me at 100 points or under.

Maybe the idea of the poll is to confirm that addicts are intelligent and artistic souls? That might tell something if it were well taken.