Notices
View Poll Results: What's your IQ if you know it?
under 60
7.09%
60-69
0.71%
70-79
0%
80-89
0%
90-**
0.71%
100-109
2.13%
110-119
4.26%
120-129
24.11%
130-139
29.08%
140 and over
31.91%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

What's your IQ?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

dSober, perhaps there would be more association between addictive behaviors and emotional intelligence, rather than with the analytical/problem solving kind. I certainly often feel that I have ~the emotional intelligence of a teenager, and can mask it with analytical skills to a certain extent, but it's real lifer situations that tend to bring out the truth, not discussion.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I don't have a clue what my IQ is, but I suspect it's in the room temperature range.

How and where do you get tested?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Why not? Taboo? I thought the steps implied there are no taboos.
I'm curious dSober, why did you assume everyone is working the Steps?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I'm curious dSober, why did you assume everyone is working the Steps?
Are you assuming I'm assuming? Too confusing for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
How and where do you get tested?
You can do it through here for one:

What is Mensa? | Mensa International
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
but it's real lifer situations that tend to bring out the truth, not discussion.
Discussions about real life situations (experiences?) perhaps?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

half a brain tells you that IQ means jack **** - might as well read palms and tea leaves.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

alcoholics must be the dumbest people on the planet, as there the only ones who couldn't figure out dont pick up the first drink and they couldn't get drunk. even our children could figure that one but not us : )
so how smart is that ?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

i often hear claims how either men or women are smarter then the other sex...I fail understand how different sexual organs and different hormones would give either one a leg up on intelligence...but i have heard things from psychologists like women can multi task better or men can hyper focus better...I don't know if this is cultural or biological?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i often hear claims how either men or women are smarter then the other sex...I fail understand how different sexual organs and different hormones would give either one a leg up on intelligence...but i have heard things from psychologists like women can multi task better or men can hyper focus better...I don't know if this is cultural or biological?
Well, if you want to hear the facts/the truth...........check out Harry Belafonte; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) on youtube.........lolol

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Are you assuming I'm assuming? Too confusing for me.

You said "I thought the steps implied there was no taboos?"

If I may ask, if we are just assuming...what did you mean exactly?

Were you talking about different steps? Basement steps?

Just curious.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
You said "I thought the steps implied there was no taboos?"
I meant the AA 12 steps. I didn't say everybody is working them. Whether I think everybody should, is a different matter. But that is just MHO.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

perhaps there would be more association between addictive behaviors and emotional intelligence, rather than with the analytical/problem solving kind.
I think there are links between all three. Somebody mentioned their son "over" analyzing before. I think she was right also.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
half a brain tells you that IQ means jack **** - might as well read palms and tea leaves.
Which half? Right or left?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

an IQ test will test to see how good you are at taking that particular IQ test at that particular moment...its like telling someone to play a round of golf and then tell them their score is their coordination quotient
Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
alcoholics must be the dumbest people on the planet, as there the only ones who couldn't figure out dont pick up the first drink and they couldn't get drunk. even our children could figure that one but not us : )
so how smart is that ?
While some alcoholic are quite stupid, I find that most are of higher intellect. Perhaps this is self serving to ease my own conscious but it is my experience that alcoholics (let me just use addicts in general) are like an unguided missile. They have in many cases greater than average motivation, ambition, but lack a guidance system and end up stuck in self harm and destruction.

Further, denial is one of the strongest human traits that I see. Self reflection and rigorous honesty is one of the toughest character traits or virtues to learn. So those that are able to develop I believe are among a small percentage of a very small percentage of people. Perhaps this is one reason why recovery rates are so low?

It is my belief that most people do not want to be enlightened in recovery. Everyone says they want to fall in love and be happy and want true enlightenment...but do they really or do they just want relief to their particular situation? Look at the posts on this site. Do you think if a newcomer comes onto this board and writes about his or her troubles and you could give them a pill to fix it all they would take it and return to doing exactly what they were doing that got them on here in the first place? Of course. People want relief from their pain. They want to bury their head in their pillow and comfy safe lives and go back to sleep...they are upset in the most part that addiction in some shape or form has woken them from their dream they call life.

I wonder if one must not walk through the valley of death to experience the most horrid of life's events to then understand the how lucky and beautiful it is to live in the present moment? To be truly grateful for what we have? Do we not have to experience hell to understand heaven (metaphorically speaking)? Do we need to experience pain to understand true pleasure?

I can walk into most circles and hold my own. I can attend a charity event in Washington with World leaders and be accepted based on my social status and professional achievements. However, I find some of the wisest men and women I have ever come across on this site. Not in those charity events. I find more addicts there who have yet to go through their own self discovery, driven by self will and out of balance egos. Some of the best conversations and debates I have ever been apart of that have really made me think are on this site.

So I humbly disagree that recovering addicts/alcoholics are dumb. I believe they are anything but...they are making the most honorable decision in my book which is facing fears and the mirror and consciously choosing to try and change - no small feat marked by the dismal recovery success rates of our shared disorder/disease/maladies.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I love your post, JD. I was in a very irritable mood yesterday and almost everyone I came in contact with annoyed me. I think I have gotten used to such raw honesty and humble self introspection here on SR, that when the rest of the world doesn't match that, I get frustrated, but reality is to get to this level of self honesty, I think most people have to have had a major crisis that gave them no choice but to get honest with themselves. That is the blessing of our addictions that stopped working for us.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
but reality is to get to this level of self honesty, I think most people have to have had a major crisis that gave them no choice but to get honest with themselves. That is the blessing of our addictions that stopped working for us.
I find this to be true for people with many other chronic illnesses as well. I've seen it in many other contexts... A couple years ago I was wondering, looking through my history of friendships and relationships: why is it packed with people with all sorts of problems? Both mental and physical. I am definitely not a codependent type of person, so it's not because I feel a need to "fix them". I think it is because of what you guys said. The self-awareness and honesty is just irresistible. Most people need to be their lives "taken away" from them in order to appreciate it and get "real" about it. I think the kind of afflictions that involve self-destruction, like addictions, are especially powerful to lead people on this read because it's self-inflicted and not just "happens to us" passively. I'm still not convinced all this has to do with a priori abilities and intelligence on the general scale. More lots of development.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Do we not have to experience hell to understand heaven (metaphorically speaking)?
That was most certainly my experience. Not sure it had to be.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

The self-awareness and honesty is just irresistible.
One might even say addictive, lol.