Notices

Myths About Alcoholics + Alcoholism

Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Another thing I consider a big myth is that the very mild drinker has the same problem as the hard core drinker. I often hear that a desire to quit is all that matters and if you drank a few beers a day or a half gallon of vodka it's all the same problem. How on Gods green earth could that be true?
I don't understand that either. Somebody drinking a mixed drink or a couple beers after work doesn't have an issue. I drank a 12pack a day on average and sometimes a case on my days off. That is an issue! It does matter how much you drink.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I just got one from another thread where I was surprised to find two other women who loved cleaning while drinking just like me. Cleaning is a real chore for me nowadays I guess I just don't have that obsessive compulsive scrubbing thing going on when I don't have alcohol in my bloodstream LOL

Myth: Alcoholics are dirty and live in squalor.
LOL! Another myth dispelled. I was always advised not to hire drunk housekeepers!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Can't think of a myth, but seems like you're a highly functioning alcoholic (although the idea that an alcoholic can be highly functioning some would argue is a myth in itself!)
Ahhhh, The term "functioning alcoholic" always did make me scratch my head. Such an oxymorn!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

Like those who come to S.R. to spread the message that abstinence to alcohol is enough (we don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-drink)
Fingernails on the chalkboard when I read this spread the message. I know it wasn't directed at me but all day long thinking about what that meansspread the message. Did I fall for that one again? Am I spreading the message but just in a different way? Of course that's why it makes me angry. Well Boleo you got me again.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

That "Tough Love" is always a great way to deal with the alcoholic. I always had very mixed feelings on this one. Scairing the alcoholic or drug addict straight seems to have a lot of potential to do harm. There are just way too many addicts with a whole host of mental health issues going on, these issues are often made worse with "Tough Love".
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Fingernails on the chalkboard when I read this spread the message. I know it wasn't directed at me but all day long thinking about what that meansspread the message. Did I fall for that one again? Am I spreading the message but just in a different way? Of course that's why it makes me angry. Well Boleo you got me again.
Some of us are hear to share share our ESH (Experience Strength & Hope) and others are hear to share their ISH (Inexperience Strength & Hope). Those who stay sober by simply not-drinking have no experience at all. If you don't believe that, try putting "20 years of not-working experience" down on a job application and see how far that gets you.

If you are the type of alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) who can stay sober by abstinence alone, are you really helping anyone by bragging how easy it is for you? If you won at a game of Russian Roulette would you be helping anyone by telling them "If I can do it so can you"?

19 out of 20 newcomers are already failing to stay sober. Most of whom are underestimating the seriousness of their illness. I happen to be one of those who believe it is better to error on the side of caution, rather than make it look easier than it appears by suggesting "We don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal".

As far as I am concerned, there is no difference between those who underestimate the dangers of drinking and those who tell 16 year-old drivers "they don't need no stinkeen seat-belts". Poor advice is worse than poor when it comes to safety.

If that rubs you the wrong way, perhaps you should asking yourself; "Does my message do more harm than good?" Even if your intentions are good, The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

sheesh I gave you props and everything. This isn't about drinking at all. It's about being raised to believe that I had some purpose to spread the message. Even though I left the religion it was still installed in me that I have a responsibility. I never wanted to sit out in the hall while the other kids had a Christmas party. All I ever wanted was to play with the other kids but I was constantly instructed to separate myself. Study the message spread the message. Don't worry Boleo I am out of the proselytizing business for good.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

The idea that the alcoholic has no effective mental defense against the first drink. This is one that I always thought was utter nonsense. The problem is that the more I study the mind science stuff the more I begin to wonder if that might not be true. I think I would classify that one as an "I Don't Know".
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Don't worry Boleo I am out of the proselytizing business for good.
Good sponsors care about the newcomers feelings. The best sponsors care about the newcomers life. Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best.
A
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

The idea that the alcoholic has no effective mental defense against the first drink. This is one that I always thought was utter nonsense. The problem is that the more I study the mind science stuff the more I begin to wonder if that might not be true. I think I would classify that one as an "I Don't Know".
It only gets deeper, the more you dig in. The deeper you dig in that is the answer to everything. I *think* anyone that has been detoxed and has a few brain cells left to rub together has the capacity to learn to defend against it if willing. The last two words are the hardest to quantify IMO as I think humans can lie to themselves consciously and subconsciously.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

If that were true then how do countless people get sober? drinking alcohol is a voluntary action. The studies to prove that we have little or no control over the first drink have no merit to me. They want to help an agenda not search for scientific truth
Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
If that were true then how do countless people get sober? drinking alcohol is a voluntary action. The studies to prove that we have little or no control over the first drink have no merit to me. They want to help an agenda not search for scientific truth
In my final days of drinking - when alcohol tempted me - I had to drink. There was no choice involved.

After having a Spiritual Awakening - alcohol stopped tempting me completely. There is still no choice involved.

If that makes no sense to you -see my tag line>

Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

We're far afield, and I have no wish to agitate cabo, but has it occurred to you that there are very few scientific principles called LAWS?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
We're far afield, and I have no wish to agitate cabo, but has it occurred to you that there are very few scientific principles called LAWS?
sorry i read that wrong..no I don't want to compare this subject matter to say..the law of gravity
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by boleo
Like those who come to S.R. to spread the message that abstinence to alcohol is enough (we don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-drink)...
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
That abstinence to alcohol is enough for what?
Soberlicious and Boleo, thanks to you both for highlighting one of the most pernicious and destructive fallacies of all.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Soberlicious and Boleo, thanks to you both for highlighting one of the most pernicious and destructive fallacies of all.
You must mean the fallacy that it is a good thing to judge the quality of someone else's sobriety?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes, but specifically the myth that sobriety is not enough to be, well, sober.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Good sponsors care about the newcomers feelings. The best sponsors care about the newcomers life. Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best.
A
No Boleo talking like that is just plain wrong no matter who or what's name you do it in. My takeaway from that was that my opinion is invalid and that I do more harm than good by expressing it. 20 years of no experience? So that's what I am doing now is not learning anything? Russian roulette comparison? You win Boleo. That's your game right? You have made me feel humiliated.
It should seriously be illegal to hit an alcoholic (or non alcoholic) right in the don't belong.
Ah got no rule 62 at this time
Old 12-09-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Some of us are hear to share share our ESH (Experience Strength & Hope) and others are hear to share their ISH (Inexperience Strength & Hope). Those who stay sober by simply not-drinking have no experience at all. If you don't believe that, try putting "20 years of not-working experience" down on a job application and see how far that gets you.

If you are the type of alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) who can stay sober by abstinence alone, are you really helping anyone by bragging how easy it is for you? If you won at a game of Russian Roulette would you be helping anyone by telling them "If I can do it so can you"?

19 out of 20 newcomers are already failing to stay sober. Most of whom are underestimating the seriousness of their illness. I happen to be one of those who believe it is better to error on the side of caution, rather than make it look easier than it appears by suggesting "We don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal".

As far as I am concerned, there is no difference between those who underestimate the dangers of drinking and those who tell 16 year-old drivers "they don't need no stinkeen seat-belts". Poor advice is worse than poor when it comes to safety.

If that rubs you the wrong way, perhaps you should asking yourself; "Does my message do more harm than good?" Even if your intentions are good, The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
In my final days of drinking - when alcohol tempted me - I had to drink. There was no choice involved.

After having a Spiritual Awakening - alcohol stopped tempting me completely. There is still no choice involved.
I think any experience in recovery is helpful and valid. Shutting people out because they don't have the same experience than you is ignorant and

counterproductive. Futhermore telling newcomers that they need a "spiritual awakening" in order to stay sober is not only false it is assuming that your experience has to be the only correct one and will also frustrate or turn away non religious people.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I think any experience in recovery is helpful and valid. Shutting people out because they don't have the same experience than you is ignorant and

counterproductive. Futhermore telling newcomers that they need a "spiritual awakening" in order to stay sober is not only false it is assuming that your experience has to be the only correct one and will also frustrate or turn away non religious people.
This is true. I have some faith and spirituality but hardly incorporated it into my recovery at all. I totally believe that those without it must be given a shot at recovery too.