Notices

Myths About Alcoholics + Alcoholism

Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I always listen to the differences. My bad!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post

What are some of your favorites?
It's a selfish program.

It's a fear based program.

We must always remember our last drunk else we will repeat it.

People relapse because they want to drink more than they want to get sober.

Not-drinking treats alcohol-ISM.

Admitting powerlessness keeps us weak.

There is no such thing as a RECOVERED alcoholic.

A Spiritual Awakening gives us the strength to choose to not-drink ODAAT.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If you drink only beer you can't be an alcoholic.
If you have a job and don't drink at work you can't be an alcoholic.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One of the most destructive myths for me was that alcoholics can't stop for periods of time or that they can't drink normally for brief periods. I wonder how many others didn't use this misinformation to justify their drinking.

Bender style drinkers will often drink insane amounts of alcohol on a bender. They will drink until they are too sick to drink any longer, go through horrific withdrawals often with audio and visual hallucinations. Many of this type die in withdrawal or from alcohol poisoning while still on the bender. This type will often have periods of sobriety thrown into the mix, those sober periods give a very false sense of security.

Most people seem to start out as binke drinkers, this is the weekend party style drinker. The frequency of their binges can increase over time. There are also functional alcoholics in many stages of addiction. Then come daily drinkers but they don't drink in the suicidal way bender drinkers often do. If they did they would be dead in short order.

In my experience, the fact that one could stop for periods of time or drink normally for short periods meant nothing.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

[QUOTE=caboblanco;4326653]There is very little you can believe from the AA or the disease model. The so called science on alcoholism is really just one big myth

we are powerless over alcohol...myth

alcoholism is an inherited disease...myth

once you have one drink an alcoholic can't stop drinking...myth

alcoholics can never moderate and to do so would always be dangerous...myth

alcoholics are all spiritually flawed..myth

no alcoholic is unique...myth

all alcoholics have permanently altered their brain chemistry and will be an alcoholic for life even if the are sober for the rest of their lives...myth

brain scans from alcoholics are always different from non alcoholics....myth

the only thing I find valid is the physical response of withdrawal..and the kindling effect. I also find the information on what alcohol can do to the liver and other organs valid[/QUOT

some of these ideas are very dangerous to someone who is trying to stop drinking.please use your brain .

v
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post

alcoholics can never moderate and to do so would always be dangerous...myth
You are aware that you are on a "Recovery" Web site, right?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovered

Myth: a widely held but false belief or idea.

Maybe I am missing the point, but what is true for a person may not be for another (more eloquently stated by tomsteve).

When I got sober, my thinker was broken. I needed help to gain the tools to make good decisions and be shown a path to sobriety and happiness so that I was not reinventing the wheel.

Maybe this should be "what is your opinion on things" thread.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

how does feeding an alcoholic myths help with their recovery?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

You've got a good point mfanch. What may be a myth, or false for me, may not be false for you.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

That to be an alcoholic you have to drink 24/7 or show up drunk a lot of places. I was mostly a closet drinker.

That attending meetings means you are sober. I know a lot of people who use meeting attendance as a cover to get someone off their back about drinking.

That wealthy people, educated people or religious people are less likely to be alcoholics.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You might be an alcoholic if....

You have lost your car, home or job. Myth, in my case.

That the person is just weak and that it is a matter of willpower. Myth, in my case.

You have multiple run ins with the law, DUI, speeding, stealing, drugs etc. Myth, in my case.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A few myths in my opinion -

1) Alcoholics are easy to spot: they look like unshaven bums with pork-pie hats!

2) AA should be the first place alcoholics go upon deciding to get sober.

3) Recovering alcoholics can still hang out at the bars with their old gang. They can just drink seltzer water or soda and it will be fun like the old days.

4) Atheists can't go to AA.

5) Alcoholics are tortured, mournful souls who live an up-and-down existence, living only for extreme highs and extreme lows.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Alcoholics(or anyone drinking heavily) cannot play sports well.

Example: My ex-hockey team needed a callup. I organized a spot for my little brother(hes not actually little 6'4 250..). We did the ritual of doing my/our pregame drinking before stepping on the ice. Guess he had alittle more than he could handle - ridiculous behavior..ie; picking fights, verbal garbage, smashing the glass with his stick till it broke....the referee booted him right away. Obviously he was never allowed to play again. horribly embarrassing.
The next game a teammate made a comment to me saying, ''good thing your nothing like your brother... how did he possibly think he could play hockey drunk?''
Meanwhile, I was drunk..and we were getting dressed preparing to step on the ice.
At the time, I found this funny. This only fueled my drinking, thinking that I was on top of everything.
How wrong I was.
Pisses me off when people think that when someone is drinking they cant do anything that requires hand/eye coordination.
I was on the top line..
but now in early recovery...i don't even play.
oh well, got more important things to think about.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
One of the most destructive myths for me was that alcoholics can't stop for periods of time or that they can't drink normally for brief periods. I wonder how many others didn't use this misinformation to justify their drinking
Fell for that one hook line and stinker. I could stop once I started if I had too. All the moderation I did was only just to avoid anyone catching on.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I am not self centred at all fundamentally never have been. Of course I was like a lunatic when I was drinking but that wasn't me. I am/was an alcoholic, whatever you want to call it. But still, if someone calls me self centred, I would find that extremely rude.
I drank because I was NOT self-centered. I was under constant pressure and the only way I could have a moment to myself to think was to have a drink. The only problem is after 30 years of that behavior, a drink turned into a fifth of vodka...just to take the edge off!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Alcoholics have no will power. If they did they would just get their drinking under control like everyone else. Hah!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Alcoholics(or anyone drinking heavily) cannot play sports well.

Example: My ex-hockey team needed a callup. I organized a spot for my little brother(hes not actually little 6'4 250..). We did the ritual of doing my/our pregame drinking before stepping on the ice. Guess he had alittle more than he could handle - ridiculous behavior..ie; picking fights, verbal garbage, smashing the glass with his stick till it broke....the referee booted him right away. Obviously he was never allowed to play again. horribly embarrassing.
The next game a teammate made a comment to me saying, ''good thing your nothing like your brother... how did he possibly think he could play hockey drunk?''
Meanwhile, I was drunk..and we were getting dressed preparing to step on the ice.
At the time, I found this funny. This only fueled my drinking, thinking that I was on top of everything.
How wrong I was.
Pisses me off when people think that when someone is drinking they cant do anything that requires hand/eye coordination.
I was on the top line..
but now in early recovery...i don't even play.
oh well, got more important things to think about.
Yep, Brian McGrattan and Jordin Tootoo can dispel this myth. Great stories, and McGrattan has done a number of interviews on his alcoholism.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Grateful

Myth: That a sober alcoholic automatically becomes an expert on alcoholism.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Myth: That a sober alcoholic automatically becomes an expert on alcoholism.
HAHAHA Love it! Touche
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Another thing I consider a big myth is that the very mild drinker has the same problem as the hard core drinker. I often hear that a desire to quit is all that matters and if you drank a few beers a day or a half gallon of vodka it's all the same problem. How on Gods green earth could that be true?