Notices

Myths About Alcoholics + Alcoholism

Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Do you think the guy who has a 'monthly bender' is a myth? The guy who doesn't normally drink, but once a month or so he binges. I've heard about this concept before, but I don't think I've ever met a person who does this. Do they really exist, or is it a myth?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Do you think the guy who has a 'monthly bender' is a myth? The guy who doesn't normally drink, but once a month or so he binges. I've heard about this concept before, but I don't think I've ever met a person who does this. Do they really exist, or is it a myth?
no it exists..i assure you it does...I used to be one of them
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
the only thing I find valid is the physical response of withdrawal..and the kindling effect. I also find the information on what alcohol can do to the liver and other organs valid
Amen!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
When I quit smoking, I simply white-knuckeled it ODAAT for a few weeks till the cravings went away (mostly). When I bragged to my sister about my accomplishment, she said; "You only smoked for ten years, you have no idea how hard it was for me because I smoked for 25 years."

That made me realize that I was no expert at quitting smoking.
Are you still a smoker? Because according to aa even after you quit drinking, your still considered an alcolholic......another crock IMHO
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I shall start a new one. All alcoholics are fascinated by the word 'myth'.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jacrazz View Post
Are you still a smoker? Because according to aa even after you quit drinking, your still considered an alcolholic......another crock IMHO

Wow, I would have never thought of that one. True some people consider themselves alcoholics forever but not smokers forever. That is a real paradox, how can it be true in one case but not the other?

I can come up with all the cheap and easy answers as we all probably could. I think the main point is that for those who have experienced how truely destructive drugs and alcohol can be and we manage to break free of that hell on earth, it just becomes a place we never want to go back to.

We stay forever aware of how easy it would be to reopen the doors to the haunted house of alcoholic hell. Maybe not a bad thing to be aware of. Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I am rather convinced that I will stay a smoker forever one smoke and I will be hooked again – I do not think that I ever will be able to moderate that substance.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jacrazz View Post
I never gave it much thought before now, but whatever term I use is not important. Even though the first few weeks of quitting smoking was hard, it was not near the struggle quitting alcohol was. If I were to relapse on tobacco, it would not be a big deal because as far as I am concerned - "If I beat it once, I can beat it again".

However, I never really beat alcohol. What I ended up with was tapping into an Higher Power that beat alcohol for me. Therefor, I feel obliged to stay humble enough to keep that Higher Power in my life, for the rest of my life.

Like those who come to S.R. to spread the message that abstinence to alcohol is enough (we don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-drink) I can afford to say:

"I don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-smoke".
Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I never gave it much thought before now, but whatever term I use is not important. Even though the first few weeks of quitting smoking was hard, it was not near the struggle quitting alcohol was. If I were to relapse on tobacco, it would not be a big deal because as far as I am concerned - "If I beat it once, I can beat it again".

However, I never really beat alcohol. What I ended up with was tapping into an Higher Power that beat alcohol for me. Therefor, I feel obliged to stay humble enough to keep that Higher Power in my life, for the rest of my life.

Like those who come to S.R. to spread the message that abstinence to alcohol is enough (we don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-drink) I can afford to say:

"I don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-smoke".
My recovery has been a lot like I read in Boleo's posts, so I agree with this quote.

Keep in mind that it was lung cancer that killed Bill Wilson and smoking is a big contributor to lung cancer.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
They sure do exist. I have a family member who "enjoys" the monthly bender. Can go forever and not drink but when he does . . .LOOK OUT!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Another myth is that all alcoholics are coffee swilling, junk food eating, chain smokers. This is kind of a stereotype the movies use whenever they portray an AA meeting.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Very good. I like it
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post

Now that's one of the biggest myths I ever heard. The myth that alcoholics overuse the word myth to describe a myth is just a myth.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by boleo
Like those who come to S.R. to spread the message that abstinence to alcohol is enough (we don't need no stinkeen self-appraisal to not-drink)...
That abstinence to alcohol is enough for what?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I have never smoked in my life and have run 167 marathons! I have several advanced degrees, never missed church, kids' school work, kids' sporting events, my work, anniversaries, deadlines, etc. I drank a fifth of vodka and went to the Philharmonic Orchestra and did not miss a beat. Which of these myths describes me?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Enough100 View Post
I have never smoked in my life and have run 167 marathons! I have several advanced degrees, never missed church, kids' school work, kids' sporting events, my work, anniversaries, deadlines, etc. I drank a fifth of vodka and went to the Philharmonic Orchestra and did not miss a beat. Which of these myths describes me?
Can't think of a myth, but seems like you're a highly functioning alcoholic (although the idea that an alcoholic can be highly functioning some would argue is a myth in itself!)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

It's a nice idea to believe that one day you won't be an alcoholic, but if you really are one, your body and brain respond differently to alcohol than the average person. That means you will always be an alcoholic. Its exactly like having a chronic disease in my mind. You can get the symptoms under control and live out a full life, but you always have the disease. If you stop treating the illness (start drinking again), it will return.

Again, I am just a person on the internet sharing opinions too. I just think that once your brain flips that switch that processes and craves alcohol differently, it will never be flipped back off. Biology just doesn't work that way.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just got one from another thread where I was surprised to find two other women who loved cleaning while drinking just like me. Cleaning is a real chore for me nowadays I guess I just don't have that obsessive compulsive scrubbing thing going on when I don't have alcohol in my bloodstream LOL

Myth: Alcoholics are dirty and live in squalor.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
It's a nice idea to believe that one day you won't be an alcoholic, but if you really are one, your body and brain respond differently to alcohol than the average person..

A.
From where it comes this information, yoda?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Enough100 View Post
The same one that got me. Well if I can function like someone without a drinking problem I must not have one.