Notices

New here. Just wanted to say hi

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey Zombie,

I'm at about the same point in recovery as you, and yes I'm having many of the same symptoms. Large mood swings, bursts of energy followed by periods of lethargy. It definitely meets the criteria for PAWS, so I'm going to give a few more months and then get checked out for bi-polar.

Congrats on getting sober in Japan BTW, I know there is temptation on every corner as well as a very strong drinking culture there.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Ah thanks for the comment. Yeah, I suppose I may have been a bit eager to get past all of this. Good to hear that we are at the same stage of recovery. Please do continue to comment here to let me and everyone know how you are going. We can compare notes!

And yeah, getting sober in Japan was never going to be the easiest thing in the world. I have lived here for a long time though, and don't do the whole 'foreigners drinking in a bar chatting up girls' kind of thing; rather I am involved in sports, etc., which really really helped.

Anyway, Day 52.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I second the sports thing - ain't nothing like endorphins!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Day 55.

After I attended the hospital and they gave my blood work the all clear, liver-wise, I noticed that the aching in my liver area got slightly better. I am starting to think that while it was / is indeed enlarged due to all the drinking, it may not have been as bad as I was fearing, and that the paranoia I was/am going through due to coming off alcohol was making it feel worse.

The last few days I was been back to work after the winter break and have felt really tired. I have been drinking too much coffee, I realise so have switched to water and will see how that goes. Had a relatively early night last night and feel a bit better for that.

I haven't thought about alcohol for a while now, and would not consider drinking at all, which must be a good sign. Got told my face looks slimmer yesterday at work, which must mean the bloatedness is subsiding.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome to SR, there's lots of support here for you, post as much as you like.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Ha, thanks. I have been here since November last year, though. Appreciate the welcome, however!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

So, I have been looking back over my recovery so far, and given the benefit of a bit of hindsight. I can say now with experience, that the first part was pretty bloody rough.

I do feel better than I did, and hopefully will continue to improve, but my initial expectations of feeling better after 10 days were foolishly optimistic. There were times when I felt 'OK', but looking back, I think this was more to do with adrenalin / being on a high after a low kind of thing, than actually feeling OK in any way.

Not trying to scare anybody who is going to attempt this, but being realistic, it is not easy. This forum has been a massive help though, and I seriously don't think I could have done it without the good people here.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Day 60

The past few days have been relatively normal.

I am still experiencing ups and downs both physically and mentally, but I do feel that I am getting better slowly.

I have upped my training and started on the proper schedule I arranged last night. Didn't get the same feelings of pain in my liver area after hard exercise, and didn't feel to massively beaten up.

If I was to put a figure on it, I would say that I feel about 75% well now, compared to the 15% I felt when I first quit.

I have not felt like any alcohol at all, but have had the occasional thought of how nice it used to be to drink beer in an English garden in summer. That was before I got addicted though...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I have enjoyed your thread very much. I've been sober since October 1 and still don't feel 100%. I have a constant low grade fatigue that's not going away....seeing an endocrinologist next month.

Wishing you much success and keep posting.

Natalie
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Zombie you are the greatest inspiration... I had to start again unfortunately
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Just saying what is happening, as it happens.

Day 62.

Carried on training last night, and felt better after it than before. Didn't feel as battered as I did the first time I tried it earlier this week. Also felt a lot better than when I was attempting to ride earlier in my recovery.

Liver is not hurting all the time anymore, but does remind me of it's presence at times. Nothing like before though.

I have not considered drinking but do think about it; remember it, I suppose.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
instant

Good stuff zombie keep it up. Pump on brother
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Have you tried milk thistle? Works for me and liver pain went away really quick (have been drinking about 500ml 40% alcohol a day)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I have been on Milk Thistle since before I quit. The medical world appears to be unsure of it's effectiveness, but I take it regardless.

I had my liver levels checked out by a professional, and they were fine.

The scan revealed a swollen liver, which the doctors informed me would fix itself in time if I absolutely stay off alcohol.

I am due another scan in 3 months, and also blood work too, to see how things are going.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Day 65.

This will be my last post.

I would like to thank everybody who has encouraged me this far.

I would also like to say to those that are considering sobriety... if I can do it, so can you. Just take it one day at a time, and realise that you are not going to get better immediately, but if you stick to the plan, you will. It takes time, analysis and dedication to yourself, and there will be points when you think you can not go on. Get through this, and you will feel so much better.

So, stop drinking today, go to the hospital and get your blood checked out, get a load of vitamin supplements, and ride it out like a boss!

You will be fine.

Thank you, and goodbye.

Zombie Attack.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 65, hang in there.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

That's a shame Zombie. I really enjoyed your updates and tracking your progress. I assume this is related to the other thread, but hope you'll reconsider. At the very least come over and rejoin us in the November thread. Things have gotten pretty quiet there recently so we could also use another voice.

All the best,
from one expat to another,
Nomis
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I never knew you could "feel" your liver. Did you ever have a liver scan zombie?